Princess and the Frog Restaurant?

SirGoofy

Original Poster
From Screamscape:

General News - (3/1/09) I don’t know any details, but we’ve heard rumors that Disney may be planning some kind of new themed restaurant that may have a tie to the upcoming animated film, The Princess and the Frog. I don’t know which park this may be for, only that it is something proposed for somewhere in Walt Disney World and is rumored to include animatronic figures of some of the film’s characters, including a figure of “Louis” who is a Jazz singing alligator character who apparently does a lot of comedy bits in the film and also plays a trumpet.

I don't know about you guys, but this sounds awesome. Get some good Cajun food in WDW, and a themed restaurant with AAs to boot. Obviously it's a hazy rumor, but I for one hope it comes to fruition.

Figment632

This is a terrible idea especially if it opens with the movie. What if the movie tanks? We will be stuck with a restaraunt with characters that nobody will know. What if they made an Atlantis themed restauraunt? I hope they wait awhile to see how it does.

GothMickey

This is a terrible idea especially if it opens with the movie. What if the movie tanks? We will be stuck with a restaraunt with characters that nobody will know. What if they made an Atlantis themed restauraunt? I hope they wait awhile to see how it does.

Movie may tank. I really don't think Disney will open a new restaurant strictly based on this movie. Maybe add the princess to a princess character meal that is already offered.

As for cajun food, isn't House of Blue cajun?

Rosso11

This is the plan that John Lasseter has now implemented at the parks. He wants the rides and entertainment to open around the same time or even before a movie is released to help promote it. This is nothing new. It use to always be done at the parks. The practice has definitely slowed down over the last decade or so. Probably the most extreme and famous example of this being Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland. Walt took a big gamble theming the castle after a movie that wasn't released until four years after Disneyland opened.

GothMickey

This is the plan that John Lasseter has now implemented at the parks. He wants the rides and entertainment to open around the same time or even before a movie is released to help promote it. This is nothing new. It use to always be done at the parks. The practice has definitely slowed down over the last decade or so. Probably the most extreme and famous example of this being Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland. Walt took a big gamble theming the castle after a movie that wasn't released until four years after Disneyland opened.

I guess using this movie would be a good test to see if this works, even though I don't agree with it. I mean, Disney will have its first African-American princess. The movie should be big. However, I do not hold much faith in the marketing lately. Like I said, adding the princess to an already established princess meal would make a lot more sense that opening a brand new restaurant.

SirGoofy

Original Poster

I bet they told Walt that when he built Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland before the movie came out.:rolleyes:

And the vast majority of guests don't know where Brer Rabbit, Bear, and Fox are from, but Splash is still one of the most popular rides on property.

GothMickey

Just a thought... Boatwright's has stopped with breakfast right? Could they have stopped the breakfast so they can "re-imagine" it to fit this theme? Just a thought.

Figment632

I bet they told Walt that when he built Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland before the movie came out.:rolleyes:

And the vast majority of guests don't know where Brer Rabbit, Bear, and Fox are from, but Splash is still one of the most popular rides on property.

So then maybe I should say I wouldn't want to be stick with it.

goodtimes5286

OMG i loved that movie, journey to atlantis! if they would make a resturant themed after it I'd DEF go (but prob not a lot b/c i dont like sea food :hurl:)

SWatsi

I like the idea and I'm looking forward to the idea. The theme doesn't necessarily have to die if the film bombs either, Splash Mountain proves a ride can be popular even though the film isn't terribly well known (at least compared to others), and obviously not everything is based off a movie or property and still work without that connection.

Where abouts could the New Orleans theme fit? In the parks at least.

The Princess should be high profile around the parks around the promotion of the movie. So she can appear elsewhere as well, even if only for the promotion and then see where things stand after that.

I'm sure if there were more cross promotions in the parks some of the lesser known and less successful films might get a new found buzz as well.

jt04

I like the idea and I'm looking forward to the idea. The theme doesn't necessarily have to die if the film bombs either, Splash Mountain proves a ride can be popular even though the film isn't terribly well known (at least compared to others), and obviously not everything is based off a movie or property and still work without that connection.

Where abouts could the New Orleans theme fit? In the parks at least.

The Princess should be high profile around the parks around the promotion of the movie. So she can appear elsewhere as well, even if only for the promotion and then see where things stand after that.

I'm sure if there were more cross promotions in the parks some of the lesser known and less successful films might get a new found buzz as well.

This movie won't bomb. If I was Disney, the first thing I would try to make happen is a single recording by a major recording artist and release it to promote the film and get real buzz happening. Like Elton John did for LK. And I promise you there are a bunch of artists who would love to be associated with this film. The single wouldn't have to be in the movie but could play with the opening or closing credits.

Now I'd like to see them go forward with the restaurant but to get it done by the release of the movie it would ave to go in an existing building. PO is perfect but also so would DTD with it's potential water views. Who knows maybe they could work out a deal with the Rain Forest Cafe and convert the DTD location with WDI's help.

And how cool would it be to convert Tom Sawyer's Island to a 'Princess and the Frog Bayou' with attractions, shops, eatery and meet n greet.

I think, very cool :cool:

Hey if DL can turn their TSI into Pirate Land then why not?

SWatsi

Hypothetical. I agree with you.

Can't wait for it. I did doubt that it would 'bomb' but all sorts of things get said about films that aren't huge hits these days. :rolleyes:
Just hope that the marketing gets a boost before its time to crank the movie up.

Figment632

This movie won't bomb. If I was Disney, the first thing I would try to make happen is a single recording by a major recording artist and release it to promote the film and get real buzz happening. Like Elton John did for LK. And I promise you there are a bunch of artists who would love to be associated with this film. The single wouldn't have to be in the movie but could play with the opening or closing credits.

Now I'd like to see them go forward with the restaurant but to get it done by the release of the movie it would ave to go in an existing building. PO is perfect but also so would DTD with it's potential water views. Who knows maybe they could work out a deal with the Rain Forest Cafe and convert the DTD location with WDI's help.

And how cool would it be to convert Tom Sawyer's Island to a 'Princess and the Frog Bayou' with attractions, shops, eatery and meet n greet.

I think, very cool :cool:

Hey if DL can turn their TSI into Pirate Land then why not?

I love your Tom Sawyer's Lisland idea!

Pongo

Oh man. Please, I hope this is true. WDW is in some DESPERATE need of cajun food. Disneyland's various cajun restaurants are such an experience for the tastebuds...

Port Orleans French Quarter maybe?

That's what I was thinking. At least it would make the most sense.

M said:
I wish we had New Orleans Square instead of Liberty Square...

I completely agree. New Orleans Square it about 1000 times more fun and delicious.

SirGoofy

Original Poster
I completely agree. New Orleans Square it about 1000 times more fun and delicious.

Personally, I love Liberty Square. So much unnoticed detail is there.

And personally I think making TSI into almost a mini-New Orleans land with this restaurant would be terrific.

jt04

I love your Tom Sawyer's Lisland idea!

I just thought of something else. If HoB would give up it's location that restaurant could easily be converted to a TPatF restaurant. It certainly has a New Orleans feel to it. And it has a stage that could offer New Orleans inspired music by rotating acts or a dinner show based on the movie.

PS- Thanks for your comment.:)

Pongo

Personally, I love Liberty Square. So much unnoticed detail is there.

Oh, I like Liberty Square plenty. I just like New Orleans Square better :D

I just thought of something else. If HoB would give up it's location that restaurant could easily be converted to a TPatF restaurant. It certainly has a New Orleans feel to it. And it has a stage that could offer New Orleans inspired music by rotating acts or a dinner show based on the movie.

PS- Thanks for your comment.:)

Oh, I don't think that will ever happen. Not with the amount of musical artists that depend on the House of Blues for their Central Florida concert stop. Which = many. I for one would be very disheartened if they transformed it into a PatF restaurant. Talk about destroying DTD more...

Regardless, the restaurant and the stage don't actually share the same part of the building. Neither has visual access to the other.

jt04

Oh, I like Liberty Square plenty. I just like New Orleans Square better :D

I agree. I like TSI, but I think that transforming it into a PatF restaurant/playland/whatever is a really interesting idea.

Oh, I don't think that will ever happen. Not with the amount of musical artists that depend on the House of Blues for their Central Florida concert stop. Which = many. I for one would be very disheartened if they transformed it into a PatF restaurant. Talk about destroying DTD more...

Regardless, the restaurant and the stage don't actually share the same part of the building. Neither has visual access to the other.

I just think HoB would be more in their element at CW. And I just thought it would be nice to see a restaurant that serves Cajun and other N.O.'s eats and the seperate theater as a ticketed Dinner Show similar to what you see elsewhere. I'm not so sure HoB wouldn't jump at permission from Disney to go to Uni as Disney has limited the acts that can play there (and wisely so IMO). Win-Win-Win!

Jseven

Pending the films success, i can def see splash mountain being a perfect setting for a ride refurb.

or restaurant somewhere in AK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom