Weight time vs. wait time...should disney be setting a better example?

LoriMistress

Once again, though, this is quite a broad generalization. Do you know for a fact that most people more than 20 pounds overweight have psychological issues? And are you stating that stress is NOT considered a psychological issue? I reiterate what I stated earlier: NONE OF US knows why a fat person is fat. There are numerous medical issues that cause weight gain and heavily complicate weight loss. And, yes, even severe psychological issues are considered MEDICAL issues that compound weight gain/loss. Only fat people truly know how they got fat and why they are fat.

And yes, I'm speaking from experience. I'm fat. Actually, I'm considered MORBIDLY OBESE, which I think is a hoot and completely incorrect. And I have numerous medical issues that contributed to my weight gain and complicate my weight loss.

Okay, I'm not here to pick arguments or start a debate, so you can quit being defensive. I really hate when people use "stress" an excuse for things (and I'm not implying that you use stress as a cop-out or anyone on this board). EVERYONE HAS STRESS; it's a part of life. It's how you HANDLE your stress. 9 out of 10 times it's always the emotional/psychological issue that CAUSES the stress. Stress isn't the main problem; it's the person that chooses to ignore their on-going issues in the first place. People choose to medicate themselves in many ways (food, drugs, alcohol, gambling, etc.), to avoid their real issues. Permanent weight loss usually only comes AFTER much psychological growth and is usually one of the LAST psychological issues to be resolved.

You asked for proof, here it is and then some:

http://www.weight-dieting.org/dieting.htm

http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/content/full/12/10/1537

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/WT00029

http://www.bennadel.com/blog/524-Project-HUGE-The-Psychological-Problem-With-Losing-Weight.htm

I could list more, but you get the point. I hope you don't mind if I ask a personal question and you don't have to answer if you don't want to; did ALL of your medical conditions appear when you where health/toned or did the medical problems appeared when you gained weight? Because 9 out of 10 times; most medical conditions come along after many months/years of being over weight/obese.

sknydave

Many people have all sorts of medical issues which can make them predisposed to being overweight, but outside of extreme water retention the body simply cannot gain that much weight without excessive caloric intake.

bfbulldog

I'm so sick and tired of all of these busy bodies who live solely to foist and dictate their beliefs on how everyone else should act, eat, think, drink etc. The fact is these people believe that they are the arbiters of what constitutes a persons correct behavior and that is truly chilling. These are the same people who'll whine to Disney to get them to change the Haunted Mansion cast spiels because they're malcontents who are offended at life and they have nothing better to do than be miserable and drag everyone else down with them.

Your view on what's healthy is not my view so maybe in the end we should all just worry about ourselves and let people decide on their own what they want to do.

Other than that I have no strong feelings either way.

Thiger

Original Poster
not that i want into this fray anymore,
but i hope you dont label me as a 'malconent'.
I didn't offer my opinion to get off on the negative energy

I love Disney and everything about it. I started this thread as I was very concerned with the state of health of the patrons visiting Disney. I just would love to see more healthy offerings at the parks. I still think there should be sweets and all the snacks that people want to eat while on their vacation but a little more option at the parks would be great.

I realised after a few posts that my original post sounded a bit elitist/snarky / negative or whatever and i aplogized as that wasn't my intention.

I also understand that due to thyroid issues and other medical conditions that some people are big and no matter what they eat or how much they work out it wont help.

I wasn't writing to get off on being negative but to simply suggest that it would be nice if healthy lifestyles and eating habits were more prominent at the parks. I also felt genuinely scared for North American society as more and more children are suffering from diabetes and obesity.

Furthermore I pointed out an article about how even they have to design seats that are larger. I recently read about the IASM redux in California and how they are deepening the boats to accomodate larger guests.

Let me stress, I'm not complaining about people rather trying to raise awareness/concern about the state of health of our population and what we all think about Disney's roll in it.

I hope I haven't offended anyone and its interesting to see how many people have responded to this thread (showing how strongly everyone feels about this topic).

biggiedisney123

lorimistress.

I think its funny that people can single out the obese because they can see the problem, I wonder how many thin people throwing stones have addictions of their own? Maybe we should ban the pirate feathers for ______ addicts? Maybe ban belts for those that believe in corporal punishment? Maybe ban tshirts for the shopaholics? Shoot, we could ban baggy clothing for the anorexic. Just because you can't physcially see some addictions does not make them less dangerous to society.

ps...if Ya don't want to debate, then don't post.

PigletIsMyCat

Okay, I'm not here to pick arguments or start a debate, so you can quit being defensive. I really hate when people use "stress" an excuse for things (and I'm not implying that you use stress as a cop-out or anyone on this board). EVERYONE HAS STRESS; it's a part of life. It's how you HANDLE your stress. 9 out of 10 times it's always the emotional/psychological issue that CAUSES the stress. Stress isn't the main problem; it's the person that chooses to ignore their on-going issues in the first place. People choose to medicate themselves in many ways (food, drugs, alcohol, gambling, etc.), to avoid their real issues. Permanent weight loss usually only comes AFTER much psychological growth and is usually one of the LAST psychological issues to be resolved.

You asked for proof, here it is and then some:

http://www.weight-dieting.org/dieting.htm

http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/content/full/12/10/1537

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/WT00029

http://www.bennadel.com/blog/524-Project-HUGE-The-Psychological-Problem-With-Losing-Weight.htm

I could list more, but you get the point. I hope you don't mind if I ask a personal question and you don't have to answer if you don't want to; did ALL of your medical conditions appear when you where health/toned or did the medical problems appeared when you gained weight? Because 9 out of 10 times; most medical conditions come along after many months/years of being over weight/obese.

Honestly was not trying to pick an argument, but I am one for friendly debate! I do want to point out that there are numerous psychological issues that determine how people deal with stress - yes, everyone has stress. But not everyone is physically/mentally equipped to deal with it. I tend to agree that there are probably underlying psychological issues that can affect/contribute to weight gain/loss - but not everyone is aware of their issues, nor can everyone receive appropriate care for their issues. Some people need to be told of their 'real' issues, and some people are not ever able to overcome those 'real' issues, especially if they are of the psychological sort. I can see where you're coming from, and I'm not straight out disagreeing with what you said in your last post, but I feel that is still a rather broad generalization of weight issues. While it is true that about 50% of children are overweight or obese, it is also true that depression and mental illness in children has risen dramatically over the past twenty years. There is most definitely a link there.

As to my personal issues, I am what I like to consider an open book, and I have no problem sharing. I was a little chunky (less than 10 pounds over my recommended weight) between the ages of 8-11. My parents divorced when I was 6, and my mother met my stepfather when I was 9. So, that explains that. I have been nearsighted since the age of 6, a very minor heart murmur (no restrictions) at the age of 11, diagnosed with clinical depression at teh age of 12, and was diagnosed with asthma at the age of 16. During high school, I was either at an appropriate weight or slighly underweight according to my doctors.

About a year after high school, I was hospitalized and was about 15 pounds overweight. Doctors figured it was the birth control I was on, and stopped it. I have consistently gained weight since then, over the past nine years. In the past nine years, I have fought a losing battle with different mental and physical illnesses, all the time continuing to gain weight. I have finally been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, and after looking over my medical charts for the last fifteen years, my doctor states I started showing severe symptoms of PCOS from the age of 16 and is astonished that I was not diagnosed before. Since leveling out my hormone levels, I have been able to lose 45 pounds (so far). I have tried every diet during my adult life, including two attempts at Weight Watchers, both of which ended with a weight gain of 22-28 pounds. When my cholesterol shot up to 232, they put me on a heart healthy diet for six months, and my cholesterol went up to 257.

I can honestly tell you that 100% of my weight gain is due to mental and physical illnesses. And, when I'm in a wheelchair at Disney because of severe arthritis in my foot - to where I can't walk some days - people look at me and think 'Look at that fatty, too fat and lazy to walk around the park'. And it stinks because they, like most of the general population, think you get fat only by stuffing your face.

LoriMistress

Honestly was not trying to pick an argument, but I am one for friendly debate! I do want to point out that there are numerous psychological issues that determine how people deal with stress - yes, everyone has stress. But not everyone is physically/mentally equipped to deal with it. I tend to agree that there are probably underlying psychological issues that can affect/contribute to weight gain/loss - but not everyone is aware of their issues, nor can everyone receive appropriate care for their issues. Some people need to be told of their 'real' issues, and some people are not ever able to overcome those 'real' issues, especially if they are of the psychological sort. I can see where you're coming from, and I'm not straight out disagreeing with what you said in your last post, but I feel that is still a rather broad generalization of weight issues. While it is true that about 50% of children are overweight or obese, it is also true that depression and mental illness in children has risen dramatically over the past twenty years. There is most definitely a link there.

As to my personal issues, I am what I like to consider an open book, and I have no problem sharing. I was a little chunky (less than 10 pounds over my recommended weight) between the ages of 8-11. My parents divorced when I was 6, and my mother met my stepfather when I was 9. So, that explains that. I have been nearsighted since the age of 6, a very minor heart murmur (no restrictions) at the age of 11, diagnosed with clinical depression at teh age of 12, and was diagnosed with asthma at the age of 16. During high school, I was either at an appropriate weight or slighly underweight according to my doctors.

About a year after high school, I was hospitalized and was about 15 pounds overweight. Doctors figured it was the birth control I was on, and stopped it. I have consistently gained weight since then, over the past nine years. In the past nine years, I have fought a losing battle with different mental and physical illnesses, all the time continuing to gain weight. I have finally been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, and after looking over my medical charts for the last fifteen years, my doctor states I started showing severe symptoms of PCOS from the age of 16 and is astonished that I was not diagnosed before. Since leveling out my hormone levels, I have been able to lose 45 pounds (so far). I have tried every diet during my adult life, including two attempts at Weight Watchers, both of which ended with a weight gain of 22-28 pounds. When my cholesterol shot up to 232, they put me on a heart healthy diet for six months, and my cholesterol went up to 257.

I can honestly tell you that 100% of my weight gain is due to mental and physical illnesses. And, when I'm in a wheelchair at Disney because of severe arthritis in my foot - to where I can't walk some days - people look at me and think 'Look at that fatty, too fat and lazy to walk around the park'. And it stinks because they, like most of the general population, think you get fat only by stuffing your face.

Thank god that you weren't going to rip my head off! I wasn't in the mood to get into a nasty debate. I hope you weren't thinking that I was trying to personally attack you or make you think that I didn't think your medical conditions were also a contributing factor. Every person is completely different, but from what I've noticed with most people who keep the weight are usually punishing themselves of some issue in the past that they cannot let go of.

LoriMistress

I think its funny that people can single out the obese because they can see the problem, I wonder how many thin people throwing stones have addictions of their own? Maybe we should ban the pirate feathers for ______ addicts? Maybe ban belts for those that believe in corporal punishment? Maybe ban tshirts for the shopaholics? Shoot, we could ban baggy clothing for the anorexic. Just because you can't physcially see some addictions does not make them less dangerous to society.

ps...if Ya don't want to debate, then don't post.

It's clear that you didn't ready my post at all. You just glanced at my comments and just assumed that I was targeting "obese" people and start going on a tyrant about how others should live their life. If you even bothered to read my thread, I stated that I'm also fat/over-weight. I may not be as fat as I use to be a year ago, but I'm still over-weight.

Next time, read my post before you start talking out of your ***.

Dwarful

Well back to should disney be setting a better example? I think they offer a good selection now. When I decide to go on vacation, I decide what to eat. Disney offers lots of variety. I know I WANT to eat at The Biergarten and clearly that is NOT the healthiest of foods, although they do have healthy options I don't go for the salads. People make the choice to go to WDW, or vacation anywhere. They have the options to select what they want. Don't take away my guilty vacation pleasures.

Where I do think they need to make choices (esp. where I live) is in the school breakfast and lunch options. In our area we have probably 30% low income population. Sometimes the only food these kids get are the two meals at school. A typical week at our school can look like this Breakfast: Sausage Biscuit, fruit punch, Poptarts, juice, Frozen Waffles, milk, biscuits n gravy, juice, granola bar and milk.
Lunch: country fried chicken, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, pizza and salsbury steak.

These kids are learning poor choices starting in Early Childhood. These children don't have the option to eat healthy if their parents are depending on the school to feed them. Our school system doesn't offer elementary students more that one option of entree's. Teachers & aides can order salads, but not the students. What kind of an example is that setting? I am always packing extra in my daughters lunches because classmates are always asking her for "just a few grapes".

I will admit though, that if I get caught behind on my errands, I will hit the drive-thru.

tinksgilrs08

Hello all,

Just one thing to say personal responsibility ..... You have the right to eat what you want and do what you want (within limits and rules) but I have gone to many reasturants and a majority offer healthly choices (salads , fruit, etc. ) If you choose to have a deep fried choice rather than a salad its your choice, Its not a corporation such as Disney to just offer healthy choices. I have a daughter who is battling a weight problem as well as I do too and we are working on making better choices as far as eating and it is our responsibilty to make those choices. As a socitey we are always looking for somebody else to blame but ourselves. I take full responsibilty when it comes to what I eat and how i live and stop blaming everything and everybody for personal bad choices. So if there is a salad or hamburger on a menu its my choice and I live with the consequences

I'm just amazed... all this arguing about Disney and the food they offer. If all you holy than thou want to have Disney do something, why not rant and rave about the fact that Disney allows smoking inside the parks at all. At least then you'll be complaining about a pure addiction that has no medical foundation whatsoever... you would be complaining about a problem that is due purely because some people are complete idiot and lack the brain cells of a snail... you would be complaining about something that actually does affect more than the person doing it (ever made the mistake of walking into a smoking area without knowing it with a kid that has asthma?).

Come on, if someone is heavy or skinny I don't care.... I don't care if you want to eat salad for every meal or fried candy bars.... I do care about having to enhale noxious fumes from worthless wastes of flesh. If someone want to smoke in their home until they die from carbon monoxide I don't care... But there is truly no reason to allow any smoking anywhere in the park. If someone is so addicted to nicotine let them wear a patch or chew nicotine gum, but leave the rest of us out of your smelly smog.

Darcy

skipping lines

I don't want to get into a debate about weight and I know some people have health issues associated or not associated with that weight (Ex someone said severe arthrisitis)

Last time we were at Disney we were amazed at how many people were on those scooters and yes most seemed heavy. (when you saw a handicapped child they seemed to be in a wheelchair most of the time.)

I am fine with people using those scooters.
What bothered us the last time was the people in the scooters getting to cut the line! No one wants to wait in line. We had a 3 and 4 year old with us. Children of that age don't understand why they have to wait in line and sometimes it can be VERY difficult. Meanwhile person after person on those scooters was being taken to the front of the line. How is that fair to the rest of us!

That said when we saw people/children with real handicaps we were fine with them getting to the front of the line.

WDWFigment

I don't want to get into a debate about weight and I know some people have health issues associated or not associated with that weight (Ex someone said severe arthrisitis)

Last time we were at Disney we were amazed at how many people were on those scooters and yes most seemed heavy. (when you saw a handicapped child they seemed to be in a wheelchair most of the time.)

What bothered us the last time was the people in the scooters getting to cut the line! No one wants to wait in line. We had a 3 and 4 year old with us. Children of that age don't understand why they have to wait in line and sometimes it can be VERY difficult. Meanwhile person after person on those scooters was being taken to the front of the line. How is that fair to the rest of us!

That said when we saw people/children with real handicaps we were fine with them getting to the front of the line.

Uh, oh... You've potentially reopened a can of worms that got pretty nasty this summer/fall...

will341

no,they don't need to replace the burgers and fries combo that is honestly a bad idea. If they get rid of these items which are some of their biggest sellers it would be a loss of profit I think.

Each time I see that happen I'm not upset about the person jumping the line... I'm more amazed at the stupidity of Disney which on the one hand has these large warning signs that no one pregnant... suffering neck problems... back problem... high blood pressure... and just about every other possible health issue shouldn't get on the ride... AND yet, Disney will go so far as to stop a ride to lift someone out of or off of a wheelchair or scooter and put them in the ride. I once saw them putting a young kid on the toontown roller coaster that was clearly paralized from the waist down and appeared to have limited use of his arms... how in the world is putting someone in that state on a ride safe? With the exception of something like A Small World I don't think I can think of any rides that don't require some amount of balance by the rider... I was only amazed that they didn't break the poor kids neck by the end time it was over.

Frankly it sends a very bad message to the public in general. It gives the impression that ALL rides are really safe for anyone regardless of their health. And lets be honest some rides probably shouldn't have those warnings posted because you best chance of getting hurt is in the line and not on the ride itself, but there are some that really should be limited to people in good health (lets also be honest if your confined to a wheelchair or scooter your not in good health unless the reason is a broken leg... the majority of scooter/wheelchair folks aren't suffering from a broken leg).

autigger

There has been some discussion on whether Wall-E made a few not so subtle comparisons to the all the scooters at WDW. The humans in Wall-E on the floating chairs as compared with the scooters of today.

Dingle66

I feel I can address this because my mother must use a scooter when we're at Disney World. My mom is 67 years old and has had both knees replaced due to arthritis, she simply cannot walk or stand for extended periods of time. If not for the scooter, she could not enjoy the parks at all. As far as the line thing goes, I'm not an expert, but one of the reasons folks in the scooters are taken ahead in line is because the scooters cannot physically navigate through some of the lines and since most folks are using the scooter for a legitimate reason, they are not able to stand for extended periods either. So, they're given the benefit of the doubt.

Sometimes it's difficult to tell from outward observation if someone has a legitimate handicap or if they're simply lazy or overweight or both. I agree that it's not really fair for those who've simply let themselves become overweight and unhealthy out of self-negligence to have an advantage, but the truth is it's difficult to judge that without enough information so I try not to do so.

Mstr Gra-c

We as a society began to lose our freedoms the minute we expected institutions both public (govt) and private (corporations) to do ANYTHING for us. They have taken smoking away from us (for our health), made us wear seatbelts and motorcycle helmets (for our health) etc... Now we are presently discussing whether or not Disney should offer healthier options for dining. How is that their responsibility? if we are not careful, in a handful of years, it will be impossible to find a cheeseburger anywhere in the happiest place on earth (which if you ask me should result in an immediate revocation of said slogan). the result would be higher prices at the food counters and a pandoras box of further restrictions and "for our well being" limitations. Lets leave the merrymaking to the pros and remember that the code of conduct we follow and teach our children should come from within and not a cartoon mouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom