A PC Haunted Mansion ?! Now that's scary

Tom Morrow

While I don't like how having an official script kills the creativity of some CMs, at the very least, it does guarantee a more consistent product.

I, unfortunately, haven't encountered a maid or butler at HM that was really into their role in quite some time. Many have left out the spiel completely. At Tower, its the same way. You'll either get a bellhop who is very into the role (like me :) ), kind of into it, or not into it at all, ever. Of course, the whole extensive, "creepy" acting is entirely optional, and it is hard to maintain that persona all the time, especially if you're having a bad day (or too good of one to be creepy, also!).

Making the experience more consistent is a good thing, but I would hate being required to say the same WDI script over and over, which I'm sure would be lame and bland compared to what I can come up with.

In response to a post above, ToT and HM are the only two attractions where you are free to create your own persona, personalize your spiels, and not abide by a script... if you choose. There are certain points you are supposed to convey in your spiels, but how you deliver them is entirely up to you... as long as its appropriate and fits the theme.

Edit: let me correct myself. Every attraction has a role that the CMs are filling, but HM and ToT are really the only extensive ones.

Space Mountain

Personally, I don't think this is too harsh of a thing. Cast members in certain areas (*cough cough* Jungle Cruise) have gotten way beyond the restrictions of the operating guidelines and started to approach the bounds of what is permissible. Some of them are even crossing the lines (anytime a HM cast member makes an attempt to outright scare you, thats grounds for a safety reprimand.) Attempts to reign in certain cast members by instructing them that they ARE NOT THE SHOW and are NOT TO DETRACT FROM IT by trying to be the stars have failed.

It seems like an overreaction, for certain, but then the Walt Disney Company is prone to over-reaction. Personally, anything written by Jim Hill is highly suspect in the truth realm, but this is something that makes a certain kind of sense. Instead of having cast members breaking the rules to try and one-up each other until someone jumps over the line, Imagineers look to be trying to deliver a consistent show.

The report of the change was on local tv tonight.

Figment571

Ah, Changing and destroying under the guise of "plussing".
Hope they don't find any sink-holes!:drevil:
I will as always reserve judgment until I see the final product.

Oh, yes to Mrs. Sherry, If you hate us and WDW now so much since you are seeing the "real world" (it is actually a nice place) then just don't even waste your time typing in this web address. Thanks!

WaltsApprentice

I thought this part was funny but, I'm not sure if someone said something already

"First of all, please let your readers know that we're not touching anything that Paul Frees did for the Mansion. His Ghost Host will remain just as it always has. We'd never dream of touching that recording. It's a crucial component of what makes the Mansion so popular with Disney theme park guests.

Surreee Until some other guests think his line 999 happy haunts--- theres always room for one more, is bad and trying to tell them to kill themselves...or something like that. Soon there probably going to complain about the bride being to scary because she cuts peoples heads off and she looks evil!! Just because they say its a crucial component doesn't mean they haven't done that to another rides in the past...::cough:: SEE, Alien,etc. ::cough:: :rolleyes: I hope they keep the aid libs because it gives you a different thing each time same with great movie ride and Pirates your experience sometimes also relys on the cast members to give it that extra touch :) But on the other hand it is Jim Hill the man that said Disney and JK Rowling signed a letter of intend for Harry Potter :p

RSoxNo1

The only disarming thing is that the explanation is almost 100% what WDI said when it officially scripted LwtL. Now we don't have anyone at the helm (not saying that is going to happen - just saying this ridiculous explanation has been used before). This is how you get complacent, bored CM's who, by human nature, lower their input because it is just tough to keep into it when you have a completely restricted character.

LwtL?

Fun2BFree

It's a given that there are bound to be at least some scary things on a ride called "The Haunted Mansion", and it's stupid to pretend otherwise and bring your kids on something likely to scare them.

kimmychad

Attempts to reign in certain cast members by instructing them that they ARE NOT THE SHOW and are NOT TO DETRACT FROM IT by trying to be the stars have failed.

but the castmember is part of the show, especially for haunted mansion or tot. the castmember made me want to ride tot when iu seen the special on travel channel. they shouldnt be reprimanded for interacting with guests. someone will always whine

Laura

Premium Member
It's a given that there are bound to be at least some scary things on a ride called "The Haunted Mansion", and it's stupid to pretend otherwise and bring your kids on something likely to scare them.

I was about to say that.

You really are a complete moron if you walk into a Haunted Mansion and get mad because there's scary stuff in there. That's like going on a roller coaster and complaining that it went fast.

VT GAL

but the castmember is part of the show, especially for haunted mansion or tot. the castmember made me want to ride tot when iu seen the special on travel channel. they shouldnt be reprimanded for interacting with guests. someone will always whine

I could not agree more!!!!!

Our "bellman" as the TOT couldn't "get" the door to close, so he kicked it and said "Oh well, it is not like you can come back to complain. Bye Bye." and with that the doors closed. We are STILL talking about that, and it was 4 years ago.

An on our last trip, I was the last one to walk into the stretching room and the cast member said something along the lines of "You would make a great 1000. So hurry up, you don't want to miss your LAST ride". It was awesome!

I can appreciate a consistent show, but I can totally appreciate a cast member making this an experience and not just a ride.

WaltsApprentice

Any chance we could wait and see what the new script is before we start ripping it apart? Maybe it will still be scary and fun.

lol... are you new to the board??:) Don't you know we all like to jump to conlusions without little facts or conformation of the final product :rolleyes::zipit: I JUST KIDDING :) and being scarastic please don't hurt me to much ...here I'll do it myself :hammer:eek:uch! Good thing I didn't use the pointy end :lol: Ohi!

WaltsApprentice

I could not agree more!!!!!

Our "bellman" as the TOT couldn't "get" the door to close, so he kicked it and said "Oh well, it is not like you can come back to complain. Bye Bye." and with that the doors closed. We are STILL talking about that, and it was 4 years ago.

An on our last trip, I was the last one to walk into the stretching room and the cast member said something along the lines of "You would make a great 1000. So hurry up, you don't want to miss your LAST ride". It was awesome!

I can appreciate a consistent show, but I can totally appreciate a cast member making this an experience and not just a ride.

Totally agree with you! And these little additions...cast members love to do it... it breaks up there crazy day and making one guest smile...can be addicting...:lookaroun There trying to take their addiction away...what is it rehab!! :lookaroun But maybe they will let them rephrase the script or just not be too strict on it... it maybe strict at the begining ...but then will become more free sometimes... At Star tours they are give a small piece of a script and are allowed to reword it to fit them... and then after that they can add whatever they want just as long as it fits in the time frame and is not to out of this world (pun inteaded) :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I have no plans to go to WDW anytime soon, partly due to treatment on this site ruining some of the magic for me and partly because we are enjoying traveling around the "real" world.

Sherry (the flame queen and proud of it!)

:eek:

Bitter, party of one...you're table is ready.

I guess as someone who loves HM greatly, any rumor of changes being made to the general feel of the attraction saddens me. We can only hope that such a rumor is unsubstantiated at best.

BLAH!

imagineer boy

Sure, this is only a Jim Hill article and we'll wait and see on this on. However if its true, I will be incredibly pi$$ed and I will go on a huge rant Foamy the Squirrel style. I'm so sick of Disney pitifully giving in to self-rightous PC morons and ruining the classic attractions.

sillykid

I just hope they don't make it so scripted that you hear the exact same thing from each CM. And that they are still able to show there own acting personality. Otherwise they could just put a few monitors in there. We don't have enough of those. The monitors could then just do the spiel for them.:hammer:

WaltsApprentice

I just hope they don't make it so scripted that you hear the exact same thing from each CM. And that they are still able to show there own acting personality. Otherwise they could just put a few monitors in there. We don't have enough of those. The monitors could then just do the spiel for them.:hammer:

Oh Oh can they be touch screen Monitors... so we can choose which sayings???? :ROFLOL:

It would be cool if they do a mirror effect that they do at the tower of terror in DCA or in the Mickey Suite at disneyland!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom