Wii will start a Revolution

cmatt

Wait- how does that work? A movie only drive? Why couldn't they make games on it?

well for a start its streaming over usb 2.0.... :lookaroun still not a problem as i find this totally trivial and unwarranted.

However Microsoft will not be able to make games for their HD-DVD drive because it is a movie only drive. I think you are right about Sony having to pick up the pace though. And I'm thinking that using the Blu-Ray discs for the games should help down the line while Microsoft is still limited to DVD discs. However there is a chance that the PS3 will end up being a little ahead of its time if the developers can't take advantage of the extra space. And when you plan on buying a game system, you can't look at just look at the now. I think that the PS3 launch titles look just as good as the current 360 games and I hope that 3 years down the line the gap is wider.

naahhhhhh trust me games are 30 gigs + in size are WAY off yet my friend..... my mate who works for rockstar - (gta fame :lookaroun ) even says this - its not about how big and how *WOW* a game is anymore its the gameplay. The ps3 at the moment seems like the psp - a one trick pony. If your that concerned about dvds - think this - a duel layer dvd is roughly 8.7 gigs of data x 2 that is 19 gigs of data etc....

The n64 was better graphically then the psone yet the psone sold more consoles..... and games. No one is disputing the hardware specs - i for one am concerned that a blue ray game needs to be buffered to the hard disk before it can play - it isnt really designed for media in that way - its more for data storage.

to reitterate we are going to have a wait before games get bigger then 10 gigs - thats ALOT of data reminder.... i can guarantee those blu rays has no more then 9 gigs of data on them. Only thing microsoft will have to do is to use a better compression algorithmn thats compatible with the 360....

wdwishes2005

However Microsoft will not be able to make games for their HD-DVD drive because it is a movie only drive. I think you are right about Sony having to pick up the pace though. And I'm thinking that using the Blu-Ray discs for the games should help down the line while Microsoft is still limited to DVD discs. However there is a chance that the PS3 will end up being a little ahead of its time if the developers can't take advantage of the extra space. And when you plan on buying a game system, you can't look at just look at the now. I think that the PS3 launch titles look just as good as the current 360 games and I hope that 3 years down the line the gap is wider.
If I were a PS3 buyer I didn't pay 300 bucks extra for just as good.

cmatt

uh, I'm one of the large percentage of people that like PC games and Console games seperate, on seperate machines, and a dvd/hd-dvd/Blu-ray/VHS player on the side, or at most in the computer. I really dont want to have to run windows on a machine that I can't upgrade, and I don't want to play console games on my PC. Ever.

it intriques me though with the ps3 that sony allow you to do this - id like to push it so that it will host apache etc........

if you REALLY want to go for gold the power of the ps3 (mind you if it was cheaper) you could make a cluster of ps3's running high end folding functions (see folding at home via google)

But yes - why you would want to do that when you can do the same thing (and better) with a few blade servers is beyond me :p

dxwwf3

If I were a PS3 buyer I didn't pay 300 bucks extra for just as good.

That's just not accurate.

1. The comparable system to the high end 360 is the $499 20 GB model. If you want to compare the $599 PS3, then you need to add $100 for the wireless adapter for the 360.

2. If you want to play games online, you have to take into account the price for X-Box Live compared to the free PS3 online system. Yes Live is better overall, but if all you care about is playing the games online, then the PS3 free system is perfect.

The only way the 360 is going to save you a lot of money is if you do not intend on playing online. This whole $300 bucks more stuff is just garbage and just isn't correct. If you want to compare systems, you can't compare the 60 GB PS3 to the premium 360 without any add ons.

cmatt

So we pay 300 bucks for prettier graphics? I really dont give crap if the gfx get any better than they do now. I want more CONTENT.

pretty much :lol: thats why i love the wii - a games company has actually delivered an intuitive format :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

one thing i do like is the fact that games companies cant afford to do half assed atempts at games development....

right its 3:20am - i have 40 mins to play on my wii before bed! :sohappy:

dxwwf3

to reitterate we are going to have a wait before games get bigger then 10 gigs - thats ALOT of data reminder.... i can guarantee those blu rays has no more then 9 gigs of data on them. Only thing microsoft will have to do is to use a better compression algorithmn thats compatible with the 360....

If this is true about GTA 4:

"With 150 developers, this game is bound to have a lot of content in it! Remember how large the map was back in San Andreas? Now imagine that map, but make it twice as big and add twice as much detail. That's how GTA IV is apparently going to be."

http://ps3.qj.net/index.php?pg=49&aid=76343

I don't know how they can get away with using a dual layer DVD considering San Andreas had to use one as well.

UWereTheOne

If you want to compare systems, you can't compare the 60 GB PS3 to the premium 360 without any add ons.

That's the whole point, they're different, that's why it's so hard to say easily which one is better. Otherwise it would be a 5 row table and we wouldn't have the last couple pages of this thread.

cmatt

1. The comparable system to the high end 360 is the $499 20 GB model. If you want to compare the $599 PS3, then you need to add $100 for the wireless adapter for the 360.

2. If you want to play games online, you have to take into account the price for X-Box Live compared to the free PS3 online system. Yes Live is better overall, but if all you care about is playing the games online, then the PS3 free system is perfect.

The only way the 360 is going to save you a lot of money is if you do not intend on playing online. This whole $300 bucks more stuff is just garbage and just isn't correct. If you want to compare systems, you can't compare the 60 GB PS3 to the premium 360 without any add ons.

to be fair though - xbox live works :lookaroun and has no lee7 haXOR5 that use cheats :hammer:

my 360 was £290 and the ps3 is £500 (or near enough) so a £200 jump for something i dont want is passable.

I use wired networking for my 360 as i dont trust anything networky that runs off of usb (my wii is wireless obviouslly) and my xbox live gold member ship costed £40 for a year - thats all downloadloadable content etc... which works out as not even £4 a month.

Your price tiers for the 360 are unfounded as a look on eb games states that for the premium/pro bundle its $399 (just the console 20 gig hard disk and wireless controller) for a premium bundle with extra stuff its $499 and you get this with it (in a bundle):

Xbox 360 Pro System
1 Extra Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Play 'N Charge Kit
Universal Media Remote

which is actually saving money.

in the uk all that seperate (we cant get it in that sort of bundle would cost:
£290 for the premium console
£30 for the controller
£30 for the play and charge kit
£20 for the remote - so thats an extra £80 seperate....

so we would have that bundle for around £350....

cmatt

If this is true about GTA 4:

"With 150 developers, this game is bound to have a lot of content in it! Remember how large the map was back in San Andreas? Now imagine that map, but make it twice as big and add twice as much detail. That's how GTA IV is apparently going to be."

http://ps3.qj.net/index.php?pg=49&aid=76343

I don't know how they can get away with using a dual layer DVD considering San Andreas had to use one as well.

different gameing engine blah blah blahhhhhhhhhhhh - just because something is on duel layer dvd doesnt mean its using all of it - for all you know it could just be using half :animwink:

get your mits on gears of war and thats a fine example of what the xbox can do - and thats not even close to the xbox maxed out. What i find funny is also the amount of developers opting to jump ship on exclusivity rights with regards to the ps3 and opt for the 360 ... :hammer:

dxwwf3

different gameing engine blah blah blahhhhhhhhhhhh - just because something is on duel layer dvd doesnt mean its using all of it - for all you know it could just be using half :animwink:

Well why would it use a double layer if it only used half? Why not use a regular DVD then?

get your mits on gears of war and thats a fine example of what the xbox can do - and thats not even close to the xbox maxed out.

The 360 is a fine system. But the PS3 is being unfairly criticized, in my mind, left in right in the media and on here and when you break things down the 360 isn't really much cheaper at all when you look at the big picture. And that seems to be the biggest argument from 360 fanboys: the price. If you want a 360, that's fine, but it seems some people think that the launch titles on the PS3 are maxing out that system as well :lol:

Legacy

Well, the XBox has a year lead on development true.

But in my mind Gears of War looks a LOT better than Resistance, and XBox 360 is going to be running Assasin's Creed, which was supposedly suppose to be the feature PS3 game to showcase that system's power.

I was hesitant on buying on any of the systems for a while, because I wanted to have a better idea of what was coming and potential.

My 360 came in the mail this afternoon.

MAF

GTA is sooo played out it's not even funny. If you've played one of those games, you've played them all. They only appeal to pre-teen boys who think they are cool for playing a rated M game. And another thing, GTA 4 will be available on XBox 360 soon after, just like w/ the rest of the GTA games, and guess what? It will look just as good graphically.

dxwwf3

GTA is sooo played out it's not even funny. If you've played one of those games, you've played them all. They only appeal to pre-teen boys who think they are cool for playing a rated M game. And another thing, GTA 4 will be available on XBox 360 soon after, just like w/ the rest of the GTA games, and guess what? It will look just as good graphically.

Wow :lol:

The GTA series is the best video game franchise on the market today for many reasons in my mind. The game has plenty of violence, but it would still be the best if the shooting was on par with a Teen rated James Bond game. What makes these games better than anything else is the environment and atmosphere. The music from the radio stations have a big part in that. In Vice City it was the whole 80's vibe that took me back to my childhood and in San Andreas it was the early gangster rap/post Rodney King era in Los Angeles that really set a great tone.

If you think that the GTA games only thrive on the violence, you've either never played them or just could never get into them. The 3 GTA games released on the last generation all ran on the same engine, but improvements were made in every game graphically, game control, and landscape wise. I've spent MANY hours playing San Andreas and I still get lost while driving around.

Saying that only teenage boys who want to play a M game is the only audience for GTA is like saying the only group of people that play World Of Warcraft are people who have no lives and no social skills. And while I don't play that game and still don't see what the fuss is about, I know that isn't true at all.

GTA 4 will be released at the same time on the 360 and PS3, which was a big break for Microsoft. I think it will be the most successful game to be released next year that's on both systems and I can't wait to see how they reinvent the series for next-gen.

MAF

Actually I owned all of the GTA games, but then I grew out of them. They all become the same thing after a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom