New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Vegas Disney Fan

I think they’re trying to make Genie a better product, and this is an attempt to increase its value by both stabilizing LL waits and also allowing them to add more capacity to Genie to help with selection throughout the day.

Again just my thoughts, but I don’t think they want people to be begrudgingly buying Genie as the lesser of two evils. I think they want people to be happily forking over money for it, like they do with other extras such as parties and after hour events.
I agree with this but it feels like they are ignoring the elephant in the room and “fixing” the wrong thing. Genie has been extremely unpopular, not only has it made the FP lines longer but it’s also made the standby lines move slower at the same time, it’s had a negative affect on all aspects of the park experience and Disney has to be aware of that from the negative guest feedback , the obvious solution would be to abandon it and move on to plan C but Disney desperately wants it to work for the extra money it brings in.

We were at DL this week and noticed “upgrade your ticket to an annual pass” signs scattered all over the park and esplanade, now that the discounted kids tickets have ended we noticed a huge decrease in how crowded DL was, when even DL is struggling to pull in people Disney is in trouble.

It feels like the parks are at a tipping point and unfortunately Disney seems to be managing the parks in the same way they’re managing the studios right now… it’s not their decisions that are causing the issues, it’s the guests fault.

Touchdown

IMO what they need to do is be like most other parks and raise the price of Genie+ to the point that most people don't buy it.
We’ve been told 70% of all capacity is going to DAS guests. Let’s also be conservative and say that 80% of all capacity at a ride comes from LL throughout the day. That means 85% of the LL line is Das guests, therefore increasing G+ prices to decrease 15% of the line is going to do next to nothing (not to mention encouraging more people to cheat into DAS.). It’s much more effective to look to shrink the 85% group first.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree with this but it feels like they are ignoring the elephant in the room and “fixing” the wrong thing. Genie has been extremely unpopular, not only has it made the FP lines longer but it’s also made the standby lines move slower at the same time, it’s had a negative affect on all aspects of the park experience and Disney has to be aware of that from the negative guest feedback , the obvious solution would be to abandon it and move on to plan C but Disney desperately wants it to work for the extra money it brings in.
I think the consensus is starting to form is that they are NOT bringing in a lot of money with it. If DAS is as high as we now think - most of the people in LL aren’t paying. And we shouldn’t be surprised…when they rolled out genie, nothing in Disney parks were new enough/good enough to have unlimited fees.

We were at DL this week and noticed “upgrade your ticket to an annual pass” signs scattered all over the park and esplanade, now that the discounted kids tickets have ended we noticed a huge decrease in how crowded DL was, when even DL is struggling to pull in people Disney is in trouble.

Several reports of that now. How insane is that?! The thing those two idiots did speeches about for over 10 years promising to get rid of…now being begged for.

That tells me the attendance problems first seen in Orlando have gone west. That’s the canary in coal mine.

It feels like the parks are at a tipping point and unfortunately Disney seems to be managing the parks in the same way they’re managing the studios right now… it’s not their decisions that are causing the issues, it’s the guests fault.
Bob.

I warn everyone constantly…he needs to go.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Except we keep hearing that genie+ is rarely selling out, so they don't need to increase genie+ capacity, they need to make genie+ more attractive - which the general consensus here has been, they do that by lessening the number of people in lightning lane. Taking whatever the number of DAS users is in that capacity and simply adding it to genie+ wouldn't seem to address the making it more attractive (as once people see shorter lines, which won't take long in this era, and more people buy genie+, they're right back at the same issue with too many people in LL to make genie+ attractive). There's a sweet spot they're trying to find.

But is that even true?

In the genie+ thread it looks like it sells out for MK and HS regularly.

Touchdown

Just to sum up the numbers as this thread as it’s gotten long:
8% of visitors are DAS
70% of a rides capacity is given to DAS
74-85% of LL users are DAS

15-26% of LL users are G+
10-25% of a rides capacity is given to G+

5-20% of a rides capacity is given to standby guests

8% of visitors get 70% of a rides capacity
92% of visitors get 30% of a rides capacity, which is unevenly given to G+ users

This is a huge problem and needs a radical solution, I’m sorry it’s causing heartache to some of the most vulnerable in our society but the company cannot function, nor is it fair to the rest of us, for this to continue.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
8% of visitors are DAS

92% of visitors get 30% of a rides capacity, which is unevenly given to G+ users

This is a huge problem and needs a radical solution, I’m sorry it’s causing heartache to some of the most vulnerable in our society but the company cannot function, nor is it fair to the rest of us, for this to continue.
Excellent

We should pin this one to all “crowd” threads

It’s the best illustration of a hard truth: do NOT judge crowds by the wait times in that crappy app. It doesn’t translate to the crowds.

Terrible for Disney…they make profit by having as much foot traffic as possible…they’re not getting it.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
8% of visitors are DAS

I mean, there should be an “assumed” in there. There’s room for those numbers to be much better and also room for them to be much worse.

Hockey89

8% of visitors are DAS

This is a huge problem and needs a radical solution, I’m sorry it’s causing heartache to some of the most vulnerable in our society but the company cannot function, nor is it fair to the rest of us, for this to continue
DAS just needs to be almost gone outside of a small small group of people that truly need it. As always, it starts out as a good idea but has been abused and made everybody else have a worse experience. Of the 8%, I would bet almost anything 70% don't truly need it....

Fido Chuckwagon

Very well informed sources are saying that…

And you know me: I don’t believe ANYONE if I’m not confident in them.
I believe it. There just isn’t that much Genie+, which is why the return times go so quickly. @lentesta had the number of return times given for HM to G+ users per 5 minute interval and I forget what it was exactly, but it was surprisingly low. DAS users in the aggregate are absolutely using up the lions share of park capacity.

Tha Realest

DAS just needs to be almost gone outside of a small small group of people that truly need it. As always, it starts out as a good idea but has been abused and made everybody else have a worse experience. Of the 8%, I would bet almost anything 70% don't truly need it....
Disney’s website explicitly says it is being reconfigured to a smaller, discrete group (small percentage, and only developmental disabilities):

• DAS is intended to accommodate a small percentage of Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom