Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Jrb1979

Then explain to us the meaningful differences. Where someone walks up to board doesn’t change the operational impact.
In general no it doesn't but at other parks there isn't any where near the amount of people using boarding passes compared to Disney. It doesn't impact operations as much.

For Disneys sake it is having a major impact on Genie+ capacity. When DAS is taking up 70% of LL capacity its a problem.

lazyboy97o

In general no it doesn't but at other parks there isn't any where near the amount of people using boarding passes compared to Disney. It doesn't impact operations as much.

For Disneys sake it is having a major impact on Genie+ capacity. When DAS is taking up 70% of LL capacity its a problem.
Then why say to look at how other parks provide accommodations if it’s not much different?

DAS does not take capacity from Genie+.

Jrb1979

Then why say to look at how other parks provide accommodations if it’s not much different?

Not directly it doesn't take capacity. You can't tell me if they cut that DAS number down they won't add it to Genie+ capacity.

I worded it poorly but was trying to respond to your argument on how do people know what the minimum accommodations for those with disabilities are.

Angel Ariel

Not directly it doesn't take capacity. You can't tell me if they cut that DAS number down they won't add it to Genie+ capacity.
Except we keep hearing that genie+ is rarely selling out, so they don't need to increase genie+ capacity, they need to make genie+ more attractive - which the general consensus here has been, they do that by lessening the number of people in lightning lane. Taking whatever the number of DAS users is in that capacity and simply adding it to genie+ wouldn't seem to address the making it more attractive (as once people see shorter lines, which won't take long in this era, and more people buy genie+, they're right back at the same issue with too many people in LL to make genie+ attractive). There's a sweet spot they're trying to find.

Jrb1979

Except we keep hearing that genie+ is rarely selling out, so they don't need to increase genie+ capacity, they need to make genie+ more attractive - which the general consensus here has been, they do that by lessening the number of people in lightning lane. Taking whatever the number of DAS users is in that capacity and simply adding it to genie+ wouldn't seem to address the making it more attractive (as once people see shorter lines, which won't take long in this era, and more people buy genie+, they're right back at the same issue with too many people in LL to make genie+ attractive). There's a sweet spot they're trying to find.
IMO what they need to do is be like most other parks and raise the price of Genie+ to the point that most people don't buy it.

Jrb1979

But according to you that would make abuse more attractive.
Not with the changes coming for DAS. Now with a limit of 4 guests and no pre books DAS is less attractive for those who don't need it.

As posted earlier by another poster, prior to the new changes DAS had better benefits than Genie+ and was free.

Chi84

Premium Member
Whether looking at the proposed changes from either a macro level or a micro level, Disney World has always promoted itself as a place that supports family togetherness. If due to a disability(ies), Disney insists upon splitting up families as an accommodation in order to allow disabled people to enjoy attractions, Disney World will no longer be seen as a place that supports families with disabled family members. According to an ADA training manual:

"The ADA says people with disabilities are entitled to “the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations” that a public accommodation provides to its customers. In other words, every type of good or service a business provides to customers is covered by the ADA. All businesses that serve the public must provide equal opportunity for customers with disabilities."

Asking disabled people to wait away from their families in order to ride is not full and equal enjoyment. Others who are able bodied might choose to participate in rider switch but Disney is basically telling a portion of the disabled community that it's rider switch or nothing.
But wouldn’t the planned return to line system satisfy this? Everyone stays together in line and the disabled person and a caregiver can leave when needed and then return to their companions in line.

flynnibus

Premium Member

They have a capacity portion they want to target to LL/G+ users knowing what that volume of users will result in wait times. DAS becomes an overhead that consumes that capacity, and if not accounted for would balloon the wait times in the high priority queue and in result on the low priority queue.

No way they aren't assuming an portion of their high priority queue is in use by DAS and in turn impacting the LL/G+ capacity they are making available to guests.

It's a drag on their high priority queue's predictability and limiting what they can sell (until they close their eyes to the customer experience).

Vegas Disney Fan

I think they’re trying to make Genie a better product, and this is an attempt to increase its value by both stabilizing LL waits and also allowing them to add more capacity to Genie to help with selection throughout the day.

Again just my thoughts, but I don’t think they want people to be begrudgingly buying Genie as the lesser of two evils. I think they want people to be happily forking over money for it, like they do with other extras such as parties and after hour events.
I agree with this but it feels like they are ignoring the elephant in the room and “fixing” the wrong thing. Genie has been extremely unpopular, not only has it made the FP lines longer but it’s also made the standby lines move slower at the same time, it’s had a negative affect on all aspects of the park experience and Disney has to be aware of that from the negative guest feedback , the obvious solution would be to abandon it and move on to plan C but Disney desperately wants it to work for the extra money it brings in.

We were at DL this week and noticed “upgrade your ticket to an annual pass” signs scattered all over the park and esplanade, now that the discounted kids tickets have ended we noticed a huge decrease in how crowded DL was, when even DL is struggling to pull in people Disney is in trouble.

It feels like the parks are at a tipping point and unfortunately Disney seems to be managing the parks in the same way they’re managing the studios right now… it’s not their decisions that are causing the issues, it’s the guests fault.

Touchdown

IMO what they need to do is be like most other parks and raise the price of Genie+ to the point that most people don't buy it.
We’ve been told 70% of all capacity is going to DAS guests. Let’s also be conservative and say that 80% of all capacity at a ride comes from LL throughout the day. That means 85% of the LL line is Das guests, therefore increasing G+ prices to decrease 15% of the line is going to do next to nothing (not to mention encouraging more people to cheat into DAS.). It’s much more effective to look to shrink the 85% group first.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree with this but it feels like they are ignoring the elephant in the room and “fixing” the wrong thing. Genie has been extremely unpopular, not only has it made the FP lines longer but it’s also made the standby lines move slower at the same time, it’s had a negative affect on all aspects of the park experience and Disney has to be aware of that from the negative guest feedback , the obvious solution would be to abandon it and move on to plan C but Disney desperately wants it to work for the extra money it brings in.
I think the consensus is starting to form is that they are NOT bringing in a lot of money with it. If DAS is as high as we now think - most of the people in LL aren’t paying. And we shouldn’t be surprised…when they rolled out genie, nothing in Disney parks were new enough/good enough to have unlimited fees.

We were at DL this week and noticed “upgrade your ticket to an annual pass” signs scattered all over the park and esplanade, now that the discounted kids tickets have ended we noticed a huge decrease in how crowded DL was, when even DL is struggling to pull in people Disney is in trouble.

Several reports of that now. How insane is that?! The thing those two idiots did speeches about for over 10 years promising to get rid of…now being begged for.

That tells me the attendance problems first seen in Orlando have gone west. That’s the canary in coal mine.

It feels like the parks are at a tipping point and unfortunately Disney seems to be managing the parks in the same way they’re managing the studios right now… it’s not their decisions that are causing the issues, it’s the guests fault.
Bob.

I warn everyone constantly…he needs to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom