Rumor New DAS System at Walt Disney World 2024

Jcf8037

No, they would not. RS is limited to 2 people now. (See screenshot) This would separate a family of 3 for virtually every attraction every day (barring the occasional short line).

View attachment 779268
i guess enforcement has been lax, or the rule language changed recently. We have always been able to go with the waiting party (two adults waiting with my youngest daughter who couldn’t ride) and my older daughter could ride with us again for a total of 3.

ETA: regarding DAS parties of 3 (or even 4) - even if Disney granted DAS at equal levels as they do now, and just strictly limit to 3/4, the line situation will still improve greatly. Parties can take turns going on the line or waiting with the DAS guest. It’s a vast improvement.

Last edited:

Touchdown

No, they would not. RS is limited to 2 people now. (See screenshot) This would separate a family of 3 for virtually every attraction every day (barring the occasional short line).

View attachment 779268
Not the entire day, just the time they are doing rides. Shows, meals, shopping, etc they would be together. Many families with a young and older child do this all the time.

Touchdown

Oh, so I’ll just be apart from my family 90% of my day. Excellent.
If 90% of your time is doing rides in a normal 10 hour day that means that you are in a queue or ride for 9 hours and meals, bathrooms, shows, shopping and walking on the midway only add up to 1 hour of your day. The average non DAS guest does not do this, I bet it’s more like 50-60% of the day is riding and queuing and another example of how warped your DAS experience has been from other guests.

Angel Ariel

i guess enforcement has been lax, or the rule language changed recently. We have always been able to go with the waiting party (two adults waiting with my youngest daughter who couldn’t ride) and my older daughter could ride with us again for a total of 3.
When DD was younger it was at least a total of 3. But it seems this is a clear change now.

Happyday

This is fair, but many families have to do it all day as well. I understand for a family of 3 that this wouldn’t be great- but it doesn’t seem like this will be the necessary accommodation for many guests. It does take aim at those large parties though, whose trip experience would not be degraded as much by a rider swap situation. In the likely rare situations where Disney does insist a small group of 3 needs to use rider swap, the standby parent would be allowed to ride again so they would experience rides with the family.
I think the problem is in the wording. This sounds like what we already do when the DAS user doesn't ride. I don't think this will be in place of DAS in some situations.

Angel Ariel

Not the entire day, just the time they are doing rides. Shows, meals, shopping, etc they would be together. Many families with a young and older child do this all the time.
Pleas read what I said:

"This would separate a family of 3 for virtually every attraction every day (barring the occasional short line)."

I did not say it would separate the family for the entire day. Meals and shopping aren't attractions. Shows are, yes, for those who can access them (they cause issues for us often). But I did not claim it would separate the family for the entire day as a whole as your comment states.

BalooChicago

If 90% of your time is doing rides in a normal 10 hour day that means that you are in a queue or ride for 9 hours and meals, bathrooms, shows, shopping and walking on the midway only add up to 1 hour of your day.

I had to Google when the “Express Transportation Option” was offered (anyone remember that?) to figure out when I last saw a show at WDW. We went to Lion King in 2017. On our last trip in March we spent, maybe, thirty minutes shopping (to get my son ears). Oh, I guess we did use bathrooms, that’s a good shared family time. The family that pees together… so maybe 85% of our day is spent on rides.

Jrb1979

I think the problem is in the wording. This sounds like what we already do when the DAS user doesn't ride. I don't think this will be in place of DAS in some situations.
It will most likely be a combination of Rider Swap and Return to Line that replaces DAS for most.

Touchdown

I had to Google when the “Express Transportation Option” was offered (anyone remember that?) to figure out when I last saw a show at WDW. We went to Lion King in 2017. On our last trip in March we spent, maybe, thirty minutes shopping (to get my son ears). Oh, I guess we did use bathrooms, that’s a good shared family time. The family that pees together… so maybe 85% of our day is spent on rides.
I’m a park commando, and even back in the old Fastpass days where you could stack in the evening I don’t think I ever averaged that high, always had to deduct 90 min for a table service meal, 30 min for a QS meal, 45 min for the nighttime spectacular, 30 min for shopping/bathroom/snack and at least an hour for just walking, that’s 3 hours 15 min, so 67.5% of my day if I didn’t do any other show, and didnt hop. If I can’t hit 70% there is no way the “family from Denver” is hitting 85%.

Angel Ariel

Trust me when I tell you families without DAS are not able to spend 90% of their time in the parks experiencing just the rides.
Most families with das aren't either if they are able to be in the park most of the day. however if their days are very short, they're spending less time in the park (ie not full days) - which is a reality for many also, then it is feasible to reach that number and it would not be representative of undue advantages over families without disabilities.

BalooChicago

I’m a park commando, and even back in the old Fastpass days where you could stack in the evening I don’t think I ever averaged that high, always had to deduct 90 min for a table service meal, 30 min for a QS meal, 45 min for the nighttime spectacular, 30 min for shopping/bathroom/snack and at least an hour for just walking, that’s 3 hours 15 min, so 67.5% of my day if I didn’t do any other show, and didnt hop. If I can’t hit 70% there is no way the “family from Denver” is hitting 85%.

We rarely do TS, and practically never a “nighttime spectacular”. Let’s go with your numbers though - does it seem reasonable that a family with disabilities is now expected to spend 65% of their vacation apart?

TrainsOfDisney

If 90% of your time is doing rides in a normal 10 hour day that means that you are in a queue or ride for 9 hours and meals, bathrooms, shows, shopping and walking on the midway only add up to 1 hour of your day.
I’m guessing that many guests with disabilities do not spend 10-hour days in the parks. 90% of the time in the parks could indeed be spent on attractions if they are wanting to visit the top attractions they want to experience as a family while at Disney.

Touchdown

We rarely do TS, and practically never a “nighttime spectacular”. Let’s go with your numbers though - does it seem reasonable that a family with disabilities is now expected to spend 65% of their vacation apart?
Again not ideal, but if you have ever gone with a child less then 42” and a child taller then 42” is an extremely common predicament to find yourself in a theme park. If it’s an acceptable way to do a theme park for the general population to do the park it is a reasonable accommodation under the ADA. I’m not going to argue this is not as ideal as DAS was, it’s not, but it’s a reasonable accommodation to have.

Touchdown

I’m guessing that many guests with disabilities do not spend 10-hour days in the parks. 90% of the time in the parks could indeed be spent on attractions if they are wanting to visit the top attractions they want to experience as a family while at Disney.
Do you think most guests experience all the the top attractions at the park? Is the family from Denver going to experience all the E tickets in the park on a regular day?

The answer is no, the average guests does 5-7 total attractions in a day. In the past Disney provided a premium experience for people with disabilities and it was commendable but it’s no longer able to do that as it’s significantly affecting other guests. The only thing Disney is obligated to do under the ADA is reasonable accommodations to allow a disabled guest to have a similar experience as an able guest. This is the heart of the matter.

Angel Ariel

Again not ideal, but if you have ever gone with a child less then 42” and a child taller then 42” is an extremely common predicament to find yourself in a theme park. If it’s an acceptable way to do a theme park for the general population to do the park it is a reasonable accommodation under the ADA. I’m not going to argue this is not as ideal as DAS was, it’s not, but it’s a reasonable accommodation to have.
The difference, again, is that there are many attractions with no height requirements that such a family would be able to ride together throughout the day and throughout their trip.

For a family with a disabled child using this because their child is unable to wait in the physical queue, this will be for all rides save the select few in a day that have a very short wait. That is a fundamentally different experience than the family you're referring to.

Happyday

Again this is a child that doesn't ride the ride. We already do this when the DAS individual doesn't ride. Let's see how this plays out, then we can come back to it and figure out what is wrong. I really don't think Disney would exempt someone physically able to ride a ride from riding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom