“Something major” coming to DHS???

castlecake2.0

They've got plenty of new office space over at the Starcruiser, knocking a few of the buildings down behind Launch Bay shouldn't be any concern.
In most cases I’d agree but this isn’t like the normal backstage office trailers, this would be like knocking down the Team Disney building. Maybe that’s the plan, but it seems like a very expensive asset to bulldoze.

Brer Oswald

Guys. I am begging y'all to stop suggesting Roger Rabbit. Some folks here talk about newer IPs not "aging well", then turn around and suggest Disney spend capital on building an attraction for an IP released almost 40 years ago and has little to no modern reach/relevance.
It’s one of Disney’s best movies, it’s proved to translate well to the parks, and ToonTown itself has a reach well beyond the film. With or without Roger, a colourful cartoon land where you get to hang out with Mickey is not a hard sell. It’s disappointing they haven’t gone further with it at WDW than the under-built fair.

Tha Realest

Original Poster
It’s one of Disney’s best movies, it’s proved to translate well to the parks, and ToonTown itself has a reach well beyond the film. With or without Roger, a colourful cartoon land where you get to hang out with Mickey is not a hard sell. It’s disappointing they haven’t gone further with it at WDW than the under-built fair.
It’s an impossibly perfect film that still holds up decades later. There are so many reasons why it shouldn’t work, but each and every piece of it clicks perfectly: the script, the tone, the performances, the animation, the physical set pieces mixed with animation, the casting, Hoskins’ performance. It’s why I don’t mind Zemeckis doing his weird CG motion capture stuff because in my mind he’s earned a blank check for life after his streak from the early 80’s into the late 90’s.

It’s a shame it’s caught in the middle of the Disney-Spielberg dust up. If D+ were still producing big budget stuff I’d love to see a RR miniseries in the vein of Perry Mason / LA Confidential set in 1950’s LA.

RobbinsDad

In most cases I’d agree but this isn’t like the normal backstage office trailers, this would be like knocking down the Team Disney building. Maybe that’s the plan, but it seems like a very expensive asset to bulldoze.
I agree, but where else are they gonna go? Moving south beyond SWGE into the starcruiser area will make an already inefficient layout even worse. The other option is the lots behind Indy but I don’t know if that’s enough area to build much without seriously cutting into parking space.

DisneyDodo

If Disney wants to do something in Animation Courtyard (and I’m not convinced it’s quite as imminent as some are suggesting), there’s a lot of ways they can go in terms of scale. On one end of the spectrum, they could just replace Launch Bay with something more substantial. On the other, they could build a huge new land (or 2) spanning from WDP all the way to LMRA (which would include the demolition or retheming of RnRC). Basically all of the backstage utilities there can be relocated if desired. Most likely, we’d end up with something in between those extremes.

RobbinsDad

If Disney wants to do something in Animation Courtyard (and I’m not convinced it’s quite as imminent as some are suggesting), there’s a lot of ways they can go in terms of scale. On one end of the spectrum, they could just replace Launch Bay with something more substantial. On the other, they could build a huge new land (or 2) spanning from WDP all the way to LMRA (which would include the demolition or retheming of RnRC). Basically all of the backstage utilities there can be relocated if desired. Most likely, we’d end up with something in between those extremes.
Which is why if it's a new land coming to DHS, and it's behind Launch Bay, Carsland makes the most sense. You already have the LMRA attraction. It would also be relatively easy to retheme RNRC to Cars.

doctornick

To me, the main reason to look at the Animation building footprint for any addition (besides the fact that Launch Bay is pretty meh and unnecessary) is that you need to connect that area to the RNR area to improve guest flow at the park. It is far from idea having Sunset Blvd being a dead end and doing any outer loop by connecting Animation and RNR would make it much easier to move around the park.

DisneyDodo

Which is why if it's a new land coming to DHS, and it's behind Launch Bay, Carsland makes the most sense. You already have the LMRA attraction. It would also be relatively easy to retheme RNRC to Cars.
That would definitely be the easiest route, but I would prefer they go in a different direction. The biggest appeals of Carsland in DCA are the breathtaking rock work and RSR, so an indoor show and rethemed indoor coaster wouldn’t provide comparable value. And if they were to add RSR in addition, that would mean 2 somewhat thrilling E-tickets for an IP that skews younger in a park that desperately needs kid-friendly options.

doctornick

There's no reason to change RNR. If they want to use a different artist but the same general ride, okay, but otherwise it's a perfectly fine ride. Just make a new land on the Animation building footprint - Launch Bay and the offices alone plus the space next to it leading to RNR is a sizeable footprint; if they can relocate the other backstage buildings and use more space that's great too. It's stupid to waste money in changing RNR substantially to another theme when the park needs additional capacity.

Ideally whatever land they build in the area would have multiple new rides to increase the total count at DHS. DHS is actually fine with headliners but needs a lot of complimentary attractions to provide offerings. A big problem at DHS is that a lot of the supplemental attractions are shows with set times (as opposed to continuously running things) so they cannot be experienced on a whim.

PREMiERdrum

There is no congruence in trying to themeatically tie any proposed expansion (planned but not approved AFAIK) to the RnR and Sunset Showcase courtyard.

In fact, it's likely that Sunset Showcase is hosting a completely different experience by the time this would take place. LMRA was never intended to be a permanent resident - one of the planned advantages of the Showcase was adaptability to different content as demands change.

Marc Davis Fan

To me, the main reason to look at the Animation building footprint for any addition (besides the fact that Launch Bay is pretty meh and unnecessary) is that you need to connect that area to the RNR area to improve guest flow at the park. It is far from ideal having Sunset Blvd being a dead end and doing any outer loop by connecting Animation and RNR would make it much easier to move around the park.

I think the only downside (but a significant one, IMHO) of connecting Animation Courtyard and RNR is it would mean that - for many guests, especially first-timers - the Tower of Terror experience will be diminished by not having the "approach" experience of seeing it from a distance at the end of Sunset and getting slowly closer, etc. I hope they'd consider instead creating a route from Animation Courtyard that enters Sunset where the center of Sunset Ranch Market currently stands - as at least that would maintain *some* of the "approach experience" for everyone.

There's no reason to change RNR. If they want to use a different artist but the same general ride, okay, but otherwise it's a perfectly fine ride.

To add a caveat, which I expect you already agree with: the "bones" of the ride are fine, but the gravity building sets were never Disney-quality. Everything works great until you enter the "alley," at which point you move from something that feels real to an obvious "this is a roller coaster train pretending to be a car" without much room for suspension of disbelief - which would work fine at an amusement park, but less so in a theme park.* And then, of course, the flat cartoon sets are the biggest offenders. Disney realized all this as well, and the WDSP version cleverly solves the problems by making it "auto-themed" (i.e., "this is a roller coaster designed by the band") - never optimal, but I think much better than simply not delivering on a more ambitious premise. I hope that, for any eventual update, they go the WDSP route or come up with something else that mitigates these issues.

*There are exceptions to the need for more "believability" when it's a fantasy-style attraction (e.g., classic Fantasyland rides and Space Mountain), but RNR "takes itself seriously" in the setup and then fails to deliver on that.

ppete1975

Realistically, how much space do they have to work with? Just Launch Bay space & the little piece of parking lot in between it and RNRC? Or do they also knock own all those offices/TMs space back there?

I like Walt Disney Presents, but I think it'll be better to knock out two birds with one stone and move it to the Mickey Shorts theater and then use WDP for expansion.
I would like to see a bigger walt disney presents, maybe in springs or a new area. Something like the family museum or the traveling exhibit thats about to open in KC. Use all the technology (minus the walt hologram), make it a must visit museum about walt.

Chupaca Bruh

What if the bulldoze Sunset Ranch Market? That would provide room and another walkway. I like the atmosphere of the Market very much. It fits the Blvd well but sometimes you can sacrifice something for better flow and usage.

Andrew25

What if the bulldoze Sunset Ranch Market? That would provide room and another walkway. I like the atmosphere of the Market very much. It fits the Blvd well but sometimes you can sacrifice something for better flow and usage.
I don't think they have to. There's already a BoH access gate there than easily just lead to a pathway connecting to Animation Courtyard.

MagicHappens1971

That's a substantial chunk of DHS F&B offerings, I can't see that happening. I think they would build a connection somewhere in the RnRC / Lightning area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom