MSEP ending at Disneyland on Sept 1, WDW return in 2023?

Andrew25

And as people opine about how EU will 'drain WDW' again... I will point out, again, that EU will 'hurt' IOA and USF as much.

Also, I think people will be in for a sticker shock when they see the ticket pricing and reservation system that will inevitably overtake EU.
On your first point, yup, I'm am very interested in seeing what happens to USF attendance. IOA will be fine with two high-quality recent coaster additions, and the "better" of the two parks. BUT, USF is in serious desperate need of help (and will be seeing help quicker than most people think)... but does benefit from "Epcot-syndrome" of being the park to host events and nostalgia to the "golden days" of the park. Universal is hoping Epic will "add" a a day for Universal, which is entirely possible, but I can also see a scenario where people just replace USF instead of adding a day.

Epic Universe will be a fantastic park... but Universal can get a bit cocky when it comes to pricing things and I have a feeling they'll overcorrect/assume the popularity of Epic Universe which may lead to the SWGE Disneyland problem.

doctornick

Entertainment is all they can get done by 2025 at this point, so…

Absolutely - and it is an area that Disney can certainly shine compared to Uni (though I guess we will see how things works out for Epic Universe). A new light parade for MK would be a part, as would a new show for DAK. It would be good to add or swap out some of the streetmosphere or replace some of the shows (e.g. BatB is so way overdue for a replacement) but most of that isn't going to be a move the needle thing. I think having a nighttime show in the parks with drones (either DHS or DAK would make the most sense given that HEA is popular and Luminous is doing well) would probably be the big thing they can do along with a light parade.

A daytime parade (either a replacement at MK for FoF or a new one at DHS) would also help, but I don't feel like that is considered a big draw for people as much as a compliment. DHS could really use it though as something to help that parks offerings.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
If WDW gets new stage shows, a lot more streetmosphere, a drone show at DAK (hopefully), and a night/light parade, then that will return the parks to that happy vibe of just simply being in the parks that Universal doesn't provide (at least, not for me -- not that I hate Universal parks, but, they're not a *place* that makes me happy to just be there).
Bingo! If WDW can bring back all the great entertainment offerings (small to large scale) they had in the past, that will be a huge draw for 2025. They're already on the right track with three fabulous nighttime shows again. Having a light parade would be the cherry on top. Add in a refresh the stage shows (or add some new ones) and combined with the great thrill rides they've added lately and WDW will be just fine next year.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
And as people opine about how EU will 'drain WDW' again... I will point out, again, that EU will 'hurt' IOA and USF as much.

Also, I think people will be in for a sticker shock when they see the ticket pricing and reservation system that will inevitably overtake EU.
only if they take a day from one to go to another... Uni will no doubt have ticket packages like Disney that encourages guests to stay in their parks longer to save more.

Uni and Disney both are sticker shock now... which to me is more concerning for Disney because before some families would take the opportunity to visit both on their trips, but now they may have to make a decision one or the other. With a new park and so many new things at Uni they can do for more days now, those making that decision over the next maybe 4-5 years or so may go there instead.

jrhwdw

@MouseEarsMom33 this...

They really have a couple of angles to try to draw people.

Nostalgia could definitely play into it. I could totally see an semi-updated Wishes and MSEP for a seasonal run.

I was a betting man, I think there will be a new nighttime parade altogether (or a replacement for FoF that doubles up at night, like Magic Happens) and other entertainment offerings at all the parks.
Sort of like 2010, when MSEP and Magic, Music and Mayhem ran for Summer when Potter Opened at IOA. Would be interesting to see the reaction, HEA going back to Wishes..... We know how HEA to DE went..........

If MK only wants 1 Parade ,then I would like to see them commit to like the 3PM & 9PM Timeslots. Then, that Parade could run at Night during Christmas Week when MOUACT goes Daytime.

As far as MH at DL, DL isn't even using MH at Sunset! IDK Why.... The last MH of the Day is at 5:30! Plenttly of time for MSEP/PTN...... Rollseyes!!!!!!!
On your first point, yup, I'm am very interested in seeing what happens to USF attendance. IOA will be fine with two high-quality recent coaster additions, and the "better" of the two parks. BUT, USF is in serious desperate need of help (and will be seeing help quicker than most people think)... but does benefit from "Epcot-syndrome" of being the park to host events and nostalgia to the "golden days" of the park. Universal is hoping Epic will "add" a a day for Universal, which is entirely possible, but I can also see a scenario where people just replace USF instead of adding a day.

Epic Universe will be a fantastic park... but Universal can get a bit cocky when it comes to pricing things and I have a feeling they'll overcorrect/assume the popularity of Epic Universe which may lead to the SWGE Disneyland problem.
This new Lagoon Show hopefully will out do CineCele, which I thought was USF's finest work yet!

Which we could get some Announcements about USF's Summer.....All I saw on X yesterday was HHN 33!! Honestly!!!!!!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Entertainment is all they can get done by 2025 at this point, so…
Indeed. And as Iger pointed out this week, he believes they have already set the stage to offer guests something for the next couple of years with what they have recently opened, with Star Wars, EPCOT, TRON, and Tiana. The short term impact will be combated with entertainment.

jrhwdw

Indeed. And as Iger pointed out this week, he believes they have already set the stage to offer guests something for the next couple of years with what they have recently opened, with Star Wars, EPCOT, TRON, and Tiana. The short term impact will be combated with entertainment.

Are Drones at Springs, the start of the 2025 Plans?

Andrew25

This new Lagoon Show hopefully will out do CineCele, which I thought was USF's finest work yet!

Which we could get some Announcements about USF's Summer.....All I saw on X yesterday was HHN 33!! Honestly!!!!!!

Universal likes announcing things late and with little information. Cinematic was given a proper announcement 1-2 months before and randomly held a media day and opened the day after. It received little fan fare after as well which led to low crowds... even though the show was at the scale of any other WDW spectacular.

I can't blame Universal though, they have a lot of announcements to go through over the next 2-3 months with HHN, DreamWorks and Epic Universe as well.

TTA94

Slightly odd there hasn’t been to many rumors on PTN returning for DLs 70th. I still suspect there will be a combined announcement of MKs parade, whatever that be, and PTNs return for the 70th. That would be the best way to announce it so fans on both coasts will be happy, finally! Certainly will be one of the biggest announcements of the parks and resorts presentation.

TTA94

Anyone think there’s a possibility WDW may try another Summer Nightastic event of some sort as a draw due to EU? As awesome as a night parade will be, I don’t think that alone will be a big enough draw.

Comped

To this day, I really love how the parade built up Mickey's arrival from a group of trumpeters performing that could be heard miles away (especially in the late 1990s).
The guy in charge of entertainment at the corporate level during the 90's played trumpet at Disneyland in the 60's. He's the reason why they had so many trumpets in shows from that era.
That was an intentional choice by the people who worked on Spectromagic. The Imagineers (notably Ron Logan) who worked on Spectromagic described the parade "The Anti-MSEP" in terms of parade score and execution. As nice as MSEP (which extends to PTN) can be, they felt the former parade was getting repetitive and wanted Walt Disney World to have an electrical parade of its own.

Skip to 31:48 where Ron Logan discusses the parade

They wanted Spectromagic to really stick out more compared to MSEP which consisted on sections dedicated to Disney Animated Films. Spectro did a unique take since most of the floats were original with a few Disney Animated Films that fitted the parade's honorable tone. It was intended for the parade to have a Waltz since it was the first electrical parade to have an orchestrated soundtrack.

It tells you something when the same Imagineers who worked on Spectromagic later made a spiritual succesor with Fantillusion for Tokyo Disneyland (later Paris) sharing some of the team that worked on Fantasmic.

Ron was never really an Imagineer technically speaking (as Walt Disney Entertainment was always a separate unit from WDI). Though I'm sure he probably wouldn't have minded me referring to him with that term. Spectro, besides rather famously sounding like a skin disease according to Ron, was arguably the best nighttime parade we ever really got and likely make it in the domestic parks. I remember seeing it a few times as a kid, and I've always been quite dismayed that effectively it never caused the revolution people were hoping for when it came to parade design. The upgrades over its predecessor, and even Light Magic, numerous and frankly if you compare the two besides the nostalgic aspect, Spectro will almost always come out on top. Fantillusion is even better (and according to Ron the first show Eisner ever actually let him name), and I would argue is the worldwide standard for what a night parade can be at a Disney park. It is simply the best that WDE ever produced, and likely better than anything WDI could ever do at this point. If you swapped out the Disney floats with more generic ones, it would still be a top level parade for anything park in the world today. People would go nuts for it. Not easy when it was essentially conceived and designed 30 years ago...

Man I miss Ron.
Speaking of parades, a marching band at Magic Kingdom played this today.

Cover your ears, those of you easily offended...

I could have sworn that was on the banned song list, assuming here is one, nowadays.

jrhwdw

The guy in charge of entertainment at the corporate level during the 90's played trumpet at Disneyland in the 60's. He's the reason why they had so many trumpets in shows from that era.

Ron was never really an Imagineer technically speaking (as Walt Disney Entertainment was always a separate unit from WDI). Though I'm sure he probably wouldn't have minded me referring to him with that term. Spectro, besides rather famously sounding like a skin disease according to Ron, was arguably the best nighttime parade we ever really got and likely make it in the domestic parks. I remember seeing it a few times as a kid, and I've always been quite dismayed that effectively it never caused the revolution people were hoping for when it came to parade design. The upgrades over its predecessor, and even Light Magic, numerous and frankly if you compare the two besides the nostalgic aspect, Spectro will almost always come out on top. Fantillusion is even better (and according to Ron the first show Eisner ever actually let him name), and I would argue is the worldwide standard for what a night parade can be at a Disney park. It is simply the best that WDE ever produced, and likely better than anything WDI could ever do at this point. If you swapped out the Disney floats with more generic ones, it would still be a top level parade for anything park in the world today. People would go nuts for it. Not easy when it was essentially conceived and designed 30 years ago...

Man I miss Ron.

I could have sworn that was on the banned song list, assuming here is one, nowadays.
Second Band I heard that played that......
First Band I heard about a Month ago on a Stream.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And why can't it be in FOF if Bands can play it??????
Because someone at WDW forgot to vet their playlist?

Several years ago, there was a band with an Indian-related name who chanted 'scalp 'em' as they marched.

After that, bands with Indian logos or mascot had to cover their logo/mascot. One band that refused got disinvited.

So... look for a memo to go out to schools with an updated playlist policy...

Y'all know that we'll be finding references to Splash and SotS for years to come throughout the parks because finding every single last reference will take a while given the immensity of the parks and merchandising... right? It not like they have a book that lists where every reference appears and can make a 100% clean sweep.

And every time an undeleted reference is found, those sore about the retheme will bring out the old canard of that showing that Disney somehow secretly? approves of that reference or was insincere about 'burying' SotS.

TTA94

US wise Spectro is, was, definitely on top. Considering all Disney parks Electrical Parade Dreamlights is definitely on top, followed by Fantillusion, Spectro, Paint The Night, MSEP and Lignt Magic. In that order lol, though some may disagree.

Should WDW get a brand new parade, it will be interesting to see where that will fall on the list. I’ll be shocked if it comes close or tops Dreamlights. But that would be amazing if it did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom