The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Epcot81Fan

“Less than zero faith” may be too much.

IMG_9164.jpeg

SuddenStorm

I only have two complaints about the Castle's current iteration.

1. The stupid stars Kim insisted on putting.

2. The plastic roofs that reflect poorly in the sunlight and look incredibly artificial.

Otherwise, it was a nice reigning in of the pepto pink it was for the 2000's and it hearkened back to the original paint. In a perfect world it would look like it did in the '90s but it's not a perfect world.

TP2000

Elon Musk and SpaceX did it again tonight, right over Disneyland and all of SoCal. But sure, keep the Starcade and Innoventions and Tomorrowland Theater closed indefinitely instead of begging Elon to do a quick 3 year sponsorship SpaceX exhibit in there. You're doing great TDA! :rolleyes:

I thought this one from further south on its trajectory was particularly cool...

And for the Jeff Bezos fans among us, at the same time that Elon's SpaceX Falcon 9 was roaring over Disneyland tonight, an Amazon Prime truck was spotted eastbound on Ball Road.

amazon-delivery-truck.jpg

TP2000

More good news for the campaign to rip out Disneyland's Astroturf...

For the second year in a row, California reservoirs are above average and Sierra snowpack is above average. Today was the official final survey of Sierra snowpack before the spring melt begins, and the state of California is at 110% of average snowpack statewide; 124% of normal in the northern Sierras and Trinity, 107% in the central Sierras, and 101% in the southern Sierras and Transverse ranges. With the state's three biggest reservoirs likely to completely fill, or even spill, later this spring and summer.

More Good News!.jpg

Seriously TDA, either rip this plastic carpet up and replant the grass, or just admit it was a labor savings move.

disneyland-fake-grass-haunted-mansion-lawn-micechat.jpg

BasiltheBatLord

I had to Google, as I'm afraid I don't know that I've ever eaten in a Subway restaurant before. I'm not really a sandwich guy.

So for those who aren't familiar, @Magicart87 is not wrong. But WDI might be.

View attachment 776705

View attachment 776707
If it wasn't so insulting it would be almost be humurous. This is what the multi-billion dollar corporation is turning one of the greatest theme park attractions of all time into.

And it was necessary because... remind me?

Epcot81Fan

If it wasn't so insulting it would be almost be humurous. This is what the multi-billion dollar corporation is turning one of the greatest theme park attractions of all time into.

And it was necessary because... remind me?
Because a half dozen bored people on Twitter who never actually bought tickets to Disney parks and rode Splash were “outraged” and “demanded change” - or something.

The good news is the company has been adding so much ride capacity on both coasts over the last few years that spending a huge portion of the current parks’ budget on retheming one of the most popular existing rides to add zero capacity is a brilliant idea.

TP2000

We're still a few years away from needing a dedicated Summer Olympics thread here, but this news gave me pause...

I was wondering about this over in the OCVibe thread, after hearing last weekend at a dinner the latest update that nothing is happening there yet and Honda Center will be home to the Olympic Volleyball competitions. It's basically 4 years now until the LA Summer Olympics. Will SoCal be ready for the global spotlight by then? As a former Californian who wants to see SoCal shine, I have so many concerns and worries about that and specifically LA's current situation; crime, endless homeless camps, drugs, dirt, Tagger Tower, abandoned storefronts and closed restaurants, etc., etc.

Aside from those mostly aesthetic issues, there's already flashing warning signs about event logistics...

The steep financial cost of the 2028 Olympic Games is starting to come into closer focus in the run-up to the Paris Games, as Los Angeles planners are tabulating the billions of dollars that will be needed to prevent traffic jams and long waits for commuters.

Grand plans to build rail lines crisscrossing the region by the time the Games start have been dashed, and officials are trying to figure out how to pay more than $1 billion to run buses that will probably disappear after the Games.

After visiting Paris last month, Mayor Karen Bass said the magnitude of the task weighs on her as the region readies for the international event.

“It put fire under us to realize that we need to get far more involved in Olympic preparation and all that it might mean,” Bass, who is the chair of the Metro executive board, said during its meeting Thursday.

The 17-day Olympic Games were billed as one that would generate a billion dollars and produce legacy infrastructure projects such as rail lines, without burdening the region with the cost of new venues.

The price tag for the Paris Games is a reported $10 billion, which includes renovating venues. The city has leaned on its federal government, a strategy L.A. and local organizers plan to mimic.

But who will pay for visitors’ bus transportation during the so-called car-free Games has not been settled.

TP2000

For those who don't want to deal with the LA Times paywall, basically the LA planners have forbidden cars from getting near the venues, removed most parking options, and are going to rely almost exclusively on public transit to move tens of thousands of people from venue to venue across SoCal.

Except the previous LA mayor's plan for all that fell apart fast. And now it's only 4 years to go, and... well, it's not looking good. They need to find hundreds of buses and drivers and mechanics. From further in the Times article....

“We have a huge challenge when it comes to the supplemental bus system,” Seleta Reynolds, Metro’s chief innovation officer, told a Metro committee last month.

“There are no discretionary grants that the federal government offers that will cover operations at that scale,” said Reynolds, who coordinates Olympic efforts at the county Metropolitan Transportation Authority. “There are very, very few sources of money that could cover that kind of cost.”

The agency estimates it could cost close to $700 million to train, clothe and pay the slew of temporary mechanics and drivers needed to deliver passengers to games. And the cost could rise to $1 billion if the vehicles are leased.

During the Salt Lake City Winter Games, transit agencies across the country lent the local agencies their oldest buses. But when the Games were over, some didn’t want them back, and the city was stuck with getting rid of them.

It is a major sticking point. Unlike in past Games, private vehicles will not be allowed at many of the venue parking lots because of tight security and perimeters around the Games.

Officials have dubbed this a “car-free” Games largely because of this lack of parking, which they believe will force visitors to use public transit. Transit officials hope it will be a bright spot for the Metro system, which has struggled in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Under former Mayor Eric Garcetti, Los Angeles laid out ambitious transportation goals for the Games. The idea was to accelerate hallmark transportation projects already planned, such as a Sepulveda Pass line and the east San Fernando rail line, and leave a lasting legacy for the region.

But Garcetti’s “28 by ‘28,” a plan for transportation projects he hoped would be completed before the Games, has crumbled. The price tag and timeline were out of reach for many of the projects. Metro hasn’t been able to line up even half of the $40 billion needed to pay for them.

“The plan was never realistic on many levels, and it’s taken what three or four years for it to fall apart completely,” said James Moore, who was the founding director of the USC Transportation Engineering Program. “Frankly, it crumbled at the touch. The financing assumptions were absurd. Many of the projects that were identified could not possibly be completed on time.”

Ghost93

Amazing how the response to Pocahontas has shifted over the past several years. A decade ago it was still a well liked film for its representation, messaging, animation, and music. Yes, it's inaccurate to history, but so is Anastasia which doesn't receive nearly any criticism. Pocahontas is by no means a favorite of mine, but I find a lot of the recent pushback to be artificial.
I have mixed feelings on Pocahontas, but I think the recent backlash is mainly due to social media and Native Americans being more vocal about their opposition to the film, as well as the Internet making more people aware of the tragic life of the historical Pocahontas/Matoaka.

I think when the movie came out historians and Native Americans were largely unhappy with it, but there were some who appreciated the representation. Conservatives largely didn't like it because they thought it was too "politically correct" and didn't like that non-Christian spirituality was so heavily featured. But a lot of moderate or liberal people thought it was a fairly progressive film compared to the previous stereotypes of Native Americans depicted. Nowadays, I think a lot of the people that would have championed it as progressive in the 90s would now view the movie as problematic.

I think now more people have done more research on the actual historical figure of Pocahontas and the whitewashed Disney version feels insensitive. Pocahontas was a little girl when she met John Smith. Most historians believe Smith made up the story about her saving him. She was at one point taken captive by colonizers and many Native Americans believe she was raped. Some oral tradition from Native Americans claim Kocoum was her first husband, who was killed by colonists after Pocahontas's capture (this is subject to debate and not verified). After her marriage to John Rolfe, her conversion to Christianity was likely forced, and she had to take on the Christian name of Rebecca. She was paraded around in England as an example of a civilized/tamed savage. She died in her early 20s before she could ever return home to America.

With all of this in mind, many people find it distasteful that a young woman who had her identity stripped away from her by colonists and died tragically young is now the focus of a Disney film where she's aged up, highly sexualized and put in a romance with a colonizer. The movie also perpetuates many stereotypes about Native Americans, such as them being these noble mystical beings that are so in tune with nature that they can summon spirits, talk to trees and steal bear cubs away from their mom. The song "Savages" has also been criticized for having a "see both sides are bad" framing, when history has taught us that the colonizers did way more harm to Native Americans than vice versa, and Native Americans shouldn't be portrayed as being in the wrong for wanting to defend their land from invaders.

I think the movie Pocahontas meant well and attempted to send a message about the dangers of hatred, but they definitely missed the mark in the execution. It may have been better if the movie was an entirely ficitonal story. I know the name "Pocahontas" has a lot of historical recognition, but it also came with a lot of baggage that a G-rated Disney film wasn't equipped to handle.

Last edited:

truecoat

I have mixed feelings on Pocahontas, but I think the recent backlash is mainly due to social media and Native Americans being more vocal about their opposition to the film, as well as the Internet making more people aware of the tragic life of the historical Pocahontas/Matoaka.

I think when the movie came out historians and Native Americans were largely unhappy with it, but there were some who appreciated the representation. Conservatives largely didn't like it because they thought it was too "politically correct" and didn't like that non-Christian spirituality was so heavily featured. But a lot of moderate or liberal people thought it was a fairly progressive film compared to the previous stereotypes of Native Americans depicted. Nowadays, I think a lot of the people that would have championed it as progressive in the 90s would now view the movie as problematic.

I think now more people have done more research on the actual historical figure of Pocahontas and the whitewashed Disney version feels insensitive. Pocahontas was a little girl when she met John Smith. Most historians believe Smith made up the story about her saving him. She was at one point taken captive by colonizers and many Native Americans believe she was raped. Some oral tradition from Native Americans claim Kocoum was her first husband, who was killed by colonists after Pocahontas's capture (this is subject to debate and not verified). After her marriage to John Rolfe, her conversion to Christianity was likely forced, and she had to take on the Christian name of Rebecca. She was paraded around in England as an example of a civilized/tamed savage. She died in her early 20s before she could ever return home to America.

With all of this in mind, many people find it distasteful that a young woman who had her identity stripped away from her by colonists and died tragically young is now the focus of a Disney film where she's aged up, highly sexualized and put in a romance with a colonizer. The movie also perpetuates many stereotypes about Native Americans, such as them being these noble mystical beings that are so in tune with nature that they can summon spirits, talk to trees and steal bear cubs away from their mom. The song "Savages" has also been criticized for having a "see both sides are bad" framing, when history has taught us that the colonizers did way more harm to Native Americans than vice versa, and Native Americans shouldn't be portrayed as being in the wrong for wanting to defend their land from invaders.

I think the movie Pocahontas meant well and attempted to send a message about the dangers of hatred, but they definitely missed the mark in the execution. It may have been better if the movie was an entirely ficitonal story. I know the name "Pocahontas" has a lot of historical recognition, but it also came with a lot of baggage that a G-rated Disney film wasn't equipped to handle.

I feel like Flowers of the Killing Moon would be a better representation. When will we see an animated version of that movie with musical numbers? It could star the legendary Disney voice of Edel Dazim!

mickEblu

Original Poster
Tommy’s has the best fast food breakfast burritos by far. It’ll usually take about 5-10 minutes but it’s hot, fresh and made to order. Just simple- egg, sausage, hash brown, American cheese. The move is ordering the chili on the side. I don’t want chili in my breakfast burritos as delicious as Tommy’s chili is. The “side” they give you is a french fry container full of chili. Then get you an order of fries and dip them in the chili.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom