Rumors. Musings. Casual.

JD80

I think there is too, but that's my issue with it -- I don't see it garnering any significant fan base among younger generations, and it's not an IP that's going to move the needle at all for people who aren't already fans of it.

Honestly, I think a temporary Simpsons thing in the back of Animation Courtyard would garner attraction and suck up guests. It would probably be a good addition.

I'm not talking about building anything permanent, but something in side an empty building? Probably cheap and easy.

SuddenStorm

or even worse case, sell off the parks to a third party that they can license (like they do overseas)

How is this worse case? If the right company was running the parks- like the OLC in Japan- we'd be better off.

Sure, there's the opportunity for Six Flags to run them into the ground, but Disney seems to be doing that just fine on their own. Someone else licensing the Disney brand and running these parks has the potential for huge upside.

UNCgolf

Honestly, I think a temporary Simpsons thing in the back of Animation Courtyard would garner attraction and suck up guests. It would probably be a good addition.

I'm not talking about building anything permanent, but something in side an empty building? Probably cheap and easy.

Yeah, some sort of temporary addition to fill dead space would be fine. I think a significant investment into a Simpsons attraction or restaurant or something like that would be a huge mistake, though.

Last edited:
In the Parks
No

Disney has a history of putting "temporary" things in DHS that end up overstaying their welcome...Jack Sparrow, Narnia, etc.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'm ignorant of who pheneix, but do we automatically take his word that he knows what's coming out of the CEOs office after he posted a giant thread where he mocked himself about all his bad takes?

Do we not take this with a grain of salt?

Take it with a shot of tequila if you want. I’v known this person IRL for years and we share a lot of the same contacts as well as knowledge of how Disney operates.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
How is this worse case? If the right company was running the parks- like the OLC in Japan- we'd be better off.

Sure, there's the opportunity for Six Flags to run them into the ground, but Disney seems to be doing that just fine on their own. Someone else licensing the Disney brand and running these parks has the potential for huge upside.

I don't think we'd get a company like OLC, thats why I'm saying it...would be a lot of question marks.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I think there is too, but that's my issue with it -- I don't see it garnering any significant fan base among younger generations, and it's not an IP that's going to move the needle at all for people who aren't already fans of it.

It's obviously anecdotal, but I'm honestly not sure my nephew or any of his friends (currently in college) could even identify the Simpsons.

And that’s fine now in the era of Disney Adults. Additionally with retro 90s nostalgia and 90s content and style back in relevance, this would stand a chance of doing well.

SuddenStorm

Following along here and I'm not seeing anything yet that's even remotely new information to anyone who has been following Disney the past few years. It's national news (routinely) that Disney is hurting in many areas. And, we all know they have to bite the bullet and make some tough decisions sooner than later. In my opinion the sooner the better.

All of that said, I don't know if it'll be a historical cataclysm that dwarfs other bad periods in Disney's history. There have been some *bad* times. We'll see how this all plays out, but I think the truth right now isn't as doom and gloom as some say, and isn't the rosy picture others paint.

As a side note, I can't help but say that Jim has some of the worst takes where many are convinced he's trolling for attention. For example:

Even if we ignore that Hando tells you exactly who he is in the first 20 seconds, guests don't need to know everything about a ride before going into it. Rides can be great without a backlog of knowledge. Some of the best pre-show characters are 'made for ride' characters, like Dr. Seeker. Anyway, rant over.

I think his point is that in a Millenium Falcon ride, that inherently relies on nostalgia for the source material- they should have had Han and Chewbacca for the preshow. Or no preshow except for a quick 'This is your mission'.

Hando Onaka is a lesser known character from a children's cartoon. It's not someone older Star Wars fans- the OT die hards that loathe the new stuff- are going to pay to see.

UNCgolf

And that’s fine now in the era of Disney Adults. Additionally with retro 90s nostalgia and 90s content and style back in relevance, this would stand a chance of doing well.

I think it could do well in the short term, but 15 years from now it might be a dead zone -- and if it's any kind of significant investment it could be 4 or 5 years before it even opens with the way Disney currently does things. If I'm right about that (and of course I could be wildly wrong), that wouldn't be a very good use of funds or space.

SuddenStorm

Just barely reading through this-

It's striking how much Disney has changed their parks operation since 2020.

Announcing the closure and remodel of one of their most popular attractions (Splash Mountain) ever at a time the parks were closed indefinitely stands out among many as a short sighted decision. The Anaheim iteration was my favorite attraction by a mile- it's closure has significantly decreased my desire to visit the place.

Completely removing the Disney Look- so now Chick Fil A and In N Out have stricter standards for service and grooming than Disney does- effectively lowering the standards for employees and further contributing to the decline many have noticed.

Implementing a paid Fastpass while attraction maintenance is lacking- how many boats have sunk the last four years? Splash a few times, Jungle, Pirates in Anaheim, etc. The Anaheim dragon fire. And I know there's more I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

Disney did such a bad job remodeling Toontown in Anaheim that they've had to shut the land back down in chunks to fix their work.

Somewhere along the way WDI forgot how to build attractions that stand the test of time, and park ops forgot how to deliver world class guest service.

Last edited:

doctornick

So, I don't particularly want to see Simpsons come to WDW in that I don't think the IP is that good of a fit. And I think Uni has already done probably the most interesting "place" in Springfield pretty well with Moe's (and also the Flaming Moe is a nice item). They also already have Duff beer and Buzz cola and Ribwich and Krusty Burger which I think are the key in universe food items. So, anything Disney does will feel like a copy or else just not really involve interesting things.

That said... I think people here are drastically underselling the cultural cache of The Simpsons. It's multigenerational at this point with lot of just society presence where even non fans know some of the jokes and characters, etc. And I think a lot of younger kids do indeed know about it - I wouldn't be surprised if the IP related shorts on Disney+ effectively introduced the series to younger kids and I've got to imagine that a lot of those large numbers of minutes watched that we see reported are new people being introduced to the series. The "every Simpsons ever" marathon has been huge for FXX too.

Anecdotally, my kids all have watched Simpsons episodes on D+ at times as something new and interesting. And not something I encouraged them to do.

In fact, couldn't one argue that Simpsons today is kind of like Mickey Mouse in the 1950s in the parks? An older IP familiar to many folks but not particularly active/cutting edge (I believe they had stopped making shorts with him by the time DL opened) but with a lot of nostalgia. And heck, old time Mickey was much more mischievous as opposed to the kiddified version we tend to associate him with these days.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Just barely reading through this-

It's striking how much Disney has changed their parks operation since 2020.

Announcing the closure and remodel of one of their most popular attractions (Splash Mountain) ever at a time the parks were closed indefinitely stands out among many as a short sighted decision. The Anaheim iteration was my favorite attraction by a mile- it's closure has significantly decreased my desire to visit the place.

Completely removing the Disney Look- so now Chick Fil A and In N Out have stricter standards for service and grooming than Disney does- effectively lowering the standards for employees and further contributing to the decline many have noticed.

Implementing a paid Fastpass while attraction maintenance is lacking- how many boats have sunk the last four years? Splash a few times, Jungle, Pirates in Anaheim, etc. The Anaheim dragon fire. And I know there's more I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

Disney did such a bad job remodeling Toontown in Anaheim that they've had to shut the land back down in chunks to fix their work.

Somewhere along the way WDI forgot how to build attractions that stand the test of time, and park ops forgot how to deliver world class guest service.
The problem with Disney Look now is all the leaders are scared to or don’t know how to enforce it. It still exists, but with anything, certain people will try to get away with extremes

In the Parks
No
The problem with Disney Look now is all the leaders are scared to or don’t know how to enforce it. It still exists, but with anything, certain people will try to get away with extremes
We're having a similar issue at the high school I teach at. No one has the guts to enforce the standards we have because of fear of offending people. It's an unfortunate side effect of the current culture, but it's all a part of our undoing.

mickEblu

There is nothing to enforce. The CM's are following the current guidelines. Not sure about WDW but you can find many a male CM wearing nail polish at Disneyland these days. I live in Los Angeles and you think I would see this stuff everywhere but nowhere near as much as at Disneyland. Really odd phenomenon as Disney themselves perpetuated the behavior.

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
We’re at the juncture where a new NA park drawing off attendance from the other two resorts is kinda the point. 😅
Amen.

I for one look forward to walking from my room in the Grand Missourian to visit Elsa’s Castle at the end of a new Main Street USA.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m gonna level with you all. I went out on a bad note. I thought Chapek had his business strategy locked in. Was gonna railroad a lot of divisions and do unpopular stuff.

Turns out Bob Iger outsmarted him on the board and get sacked before the real damage was done.

I can tell you guys that Disney is way worse off than it was when I ducked out and said to hell with the internet @wdwmagic can I swear here? Always a potty mouth.

Occasionally I will be dropping some musings and rumormongering. I pop in, post some stuff, and don’t care about most replies. Take it or leave it when I ramble.

Here’s one thing I want to highlight: Disney is broke guys. They are really having issues keeping funding going just to keep the parks running at any sort of acceptable standard. And we know Disney has several billion in cash! The money can and should be made available. But if they draw down their cash, they close off other options to get their act together. And they need these margins off theme parks. Theme parks have subsided media company screw ups for decades guys. It even happens at Universal!

Be back soon!
Hello, @pheneix.

I don't know about the insider knowledge about what may or may not be built in the parks, but I do know that everything you've revealed with regard to Disney finances is not inside information, because it's all public knowledge. And Disney talks about it publicly. And we've been discussing it in these forums.

The $9B dollars that Disney had cash on hand grew to $14B. Of course, that was before paying Comcast $9B to take complete ownership of Hulu. Disney may have to pay a few billion more depending on how Hulu's worth is evaluated. But Disney still has a cushion.

In your financial analysis and hearing from insiders, has there been any reckoning that:
  • Disney's revenue from Hulu will now be 50% more from being the sole owner?
  • That Disney+ will be in the black this fiscal year?
  • That Disney's merger of Hulu and D+ will increase the bundle synergy?
  • That the ad-supported tier of D+ in Europe is only now rolling out and will bring in more income?
  • The $7B in savings from all the recent lay-offs?
For Disney, having *only* a few Billion dollars on hand is indeed 'tight' for a company Disney's size, but they also have access to lines of credit for billions more, if needed.

But, because cash on hand is tight, that is why Disney isn't spending the promised $60B in the parks now. And why they said the majority of the $60B will be in the back half of the coming decade. And that's why Disney hasn't been "responding" to Epic Universe. They don't have the massive cash on hand that they usually do.

Of course, Disney *could* borrow, and put itself in $100B debt like Comcast is in. (And people wonder why swaths of land in their parks are sitting idle.)

ESPN is problematic, because, as has been discussed here, Apple and Amazon can drop a nearly unlimited amount of cash (way too much as you rightfully point out) and shut-out Disney and other streamers for sports rights. That's why Disney is looking for sports-partners to alleviate that sports apocalypse.

Yeah, Disney's finances are on a tight margin now. But that's to ensure Disney has a future in home entertainment once linear is dead. I, like others, would love new attractions in the parks. But I understand Disney has to nail down the home entertainment market, which, when it was all-linear, brought in huge amounts of revenue. And that required a big investment (but maybe not a $1.5B quarterly loss under Chapek investment).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They have it locked at 72 degrees and you cannot change it. They also have these motion detectors so if you can manage to get it cooler, and go to sleep, and need or want to sleep in cooler or warmer than 72, you're out of luck. Had this problem at Contemporary last January. Even looked online to see how to disarm it, tried valiantly, yet still was stuck at 72 degrees...Disney will claim its to 'Go green' but for what the rate was on the room, I should be able to set the thermostat to the temp I want and not have to have a dance party every five minutes to keep it that way.
Odd.. I was in Pop Century the past October and December and could easily change the temperature from 66 - 78 degrees.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom