Conversations disrupting attractions

Horizonsfan

Original Poster
Over the last 5 or so years, I’ve noticed a dramatic uptick in people loudly & constantly talking through attractions. It can take number of forms, from overzealous excitement to outright obnoxious talk that has nothing to do with the experience at hand. The one thing it has in common is that it detracts from the experience for other guests. Guests who paid just as much to be there and experience what WDI designed, not you and your party’s commentary track.

Epcot in particular seems to have become a haven for people loudly talking over music, ride narration, and performances.

It would seem to me the time has come for Disney to asks guests when loading non-thrill attractions and non-interactive theater shows to keep conversation to a minimum & a whisper. Just tack it in with the rest of the pre-attraction safety spiel.

Has anyone else noticed this?

JIMINYCR

Making an announcement prior to starting a ride will as all other warnings will fall on deaf ears. Hardly anyone pays attention. Loud obnoxious guests will not be deterred by CMs or guests who ask them politely. It’s something that we all have to bear with and enjoy what we can.

Last edited:

Horizonsfan

Original Poster
Or.
Nowadays it has got worse because people are more self entitled than ever.
This. I’m not saying people being rude is a new phenomenon. However, the frequency of people being inconsiderate on-ride seems crazy high now.
Making an announcement prior to starting a ride will as all other warnings will fall on deaf ears. Hardly anyone pays attention. Loud obnoxious guests will not be deterred by CMs or guests who ask them politely. It’s something it what we all have to bear with and enjoy what we can.
The announcement is a starting point. IMO, even if it dissuades 10% of people who otherwise would be loud it’s worth stating it.

MickeyLuv'r

Not to bring up specifically PotC again, but there was a marked change when they added Jack Sparrow.
There was also a marked change on Living w/ the Land when they got rid of the CM narrators. Now it is just the same every time, but the CM's used to vary each time, so there was more reason to listen. People still listen on JC, so having a real person is important.

One alternative is very loud audio. Nobody talks over Gringott's, but it IS very loud.

Horizonsfan

Original Poster
I agree that the frequency of people gasbagging on rides is more now than ever. I just don't think we can lay the blame at the vlogging community.
Agreed. In my experience, the people being inconsiderate have been camera/cellphone free.

People can have their quibbles with vloggers, but they don’t seem like the reason for this annoyance multiplying.

BuddyThomas

Making an announcement prior to starting a ride will as all other warnings will fall on deaf ears. Hardly anyone pays attention. Loud obnoxious guests will not be deterred by CMs or guests who ask them politely. It’s something it what we all have to bear with and enjoy what we can.
At AMC theatres, they do a loud on screen announcement before every film: “At AMC, the feature is on the big screen, so please: Don’t talk. Don’t text. Don’t post. Don’t ruin the movie.”

It works surprisingly well, at least in NYC. I haven’t had to tell anyone off in quite a long time.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Recently had someone take a speaker phone call in row in front of me on Living with the Land. I may have passively aggressively talked about it while taking some photos of said incident.

Weather_Lady

It's terrible. The worst was when we took our kids for the first time, and some of their big "first rides" were spoiled by loud, rude guests who were more interested in hearing their own voices than the attraction audio.

I think it's getting worse, gradually. The worst offenders in my experience appear to be locals (or superfans) who visit so frequently, and have done everything so many times, that they find the attractions no more interesting than the walkways of their local mall - and then proceed to act as if that's where they are.

It's so bad, I've even found myself "profiling" other guests in line and in boarding areas, and deliberately putting space between my family and loudmouths, frat bros, hyped-up groups of teens, people with selfie sticks/cameras/phones out, and anyone else who looks like they're likely to ruin a ride for those around them. It's not an exact science, but it helps to put us in the best position for potential uninterrupted enjoyment -- which for infrequent visitors like ourselves, whose next chance to ride every "spoiled" attraction may not come for years -- is important.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

At AMC theatres, they do a loud on screen announcement before every film: “At AMC, the feature is on the big screen, so please: Don’t talk. Don’t text. Don’t post. Don’t ruin the movie.”

It works surprisingly well, at least in NYC. I haven’t had to tell anyone off in quite a long time.
A movie theater is vastly different than a Disney attraction. But I guess the continual warnings not to take photos or videos has worked wonders … not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom