Conversations disrupting attractions

DisneyHead123

The worst offenders in my experience appear to be locals (or superfans) who visit so frequently, and have done everything so many times, that they find the attractions no more interesting than the walkways of their local mall - and then proceed to act as if that's where they are.

Interesting… the last time I was on Small World there were two young women behind me who were chronicling all the things that were wrong with the ride or not working properly. Not on video, just loudly complaining to each other. I get talking about stuff like that on a message board but I was confused as to why they’d be doing it on the actual ride. Like no one forced them to ride it, why trash the ride in front of everyone else trying to enjoy it.

Last edited:

gitchard

I think it's getting worse, gradually. The worst offenders in my experience appear to be locals (or superfans) who visit so frequently, and have done everything so many times, that they find the attractions no more interesting than the walkways of their local mall - and then proceed to act as if that's where they are.
That is a little offensive and generalizing.

I am a local who has been a passholder for over 20 straight years. My family and I do not talk on attractions and are also annoyed by people talking or blocking views with cell phones/cameras.

Weather_Lady

That is a little offensive and generalizing.

I am a local who has been a passholder for over 20 straight years. My family and I do not talk on attractions and are also annoyed by people talking or blocking views with cell phones/cameras.
Sorry I caused you offense: I wasn't making a blanket statement about all passholders or regulars -- only a few bad apples.

Last edited:

jloucks

People not caring at all about what other people think?

If I am not mistaken, society is teaching that currently, so yes, it seems to be getting "worse". ...or better, depending on what side of "don't tell me what to do" you fall on.

Sorta the same thing of how everybody thinks they are right. Justified in any behavior. It is constant and it is everywhere.

On a related note, I would love to have everyone experience other cultures where concern for others is at the core.

A little ride on a Japanese commuter train would do them a world of good. (where you have to be silent, not eat, and remain inconspicuous)

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Does being loud and obnoxious in queue count too?
For me noise in the queues isnt bothersome. In some of the more interesting queues where there are sights to see, I'm looking around but any noise from them isnt distracting. Its when guests in the queues are unruly by trying to push past, bump into me, or invade my personal space thet it becomes a problem.

jloucks

Sorry you were offended: I wasn't making a blanket statement about all passholders or regulars.
FWIW I think you were spot on. I have the same opinion on the pass holders.

In fact, I have had to work on my own behavior when it comes to that sort of thing. Just because I have seen something 10+ times doesn't mean others have. I have to conscientiously make an effort not to talk over the little things.

...some people don't make the effort when they have seen something many times. Like, you know, passholders. :p

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Unless theyre singing, talking on the phone, yelling back and forth at one another or from several seats over...you really cant stop someone from talking on a ride, unless it's a show like the Muppets or Philarmagic, then yeah they can shut up. But if it's Big Thunder or something like that....talk freely. You're in a theme park with a LOT of people. People are going to be loud.

Horizonsfan

Original Poster
I’m an AP, as are my family, we always wait till we’re off-ride to chit chat & would never quote along. That said, I could see some APers being overly enthused, to put it politely. That’s crappy.

Like I said in the OP, it seems like a mixture of multiple groups.

On my most recent visit, the main culprit was parents (but not their kids) who inexplicably felt the need to shout out the obvious over and over “oh wow look guys it’s donald!” Or loudly ask constant questions like “is that a banana tree? It is! Did you know bananas grow on trees?” Meanwhile the kids (and everybody outside their party) are just trying to enjoy the ride.
Unless theyre singing, talking on the phone, yelling back and forth at one another or from several seats over...you really cant stop someone from talking on a ride, unless it's a show like the Muppets or Philarmagic, then yeah they can shut up. But if it's Big Thunder or something like that....talk freely. You're in a theme park with a LOT of people. People are going to be loud.
I don’t think it’s a matter of stopping people from talking, but lowering your volume to be considerate of those around you.

If it’s a thrill ride or an interactive show, people are going to yell and get excited. Nobody’s demanding whispers on Big Thunder, Turtle Talk, or Playhouse Disney. That’d be weird LOL.

If it’s Pirates, PhilharMagic, Living With The Land, etc, no you do not need to incessantly & loudly talk through the whole ride. You can quietly make a comment to your friend/family member. Or experience it and then discuss it after off-ride.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

And I’m sick and tired of the Pirates of the Caribbean interrupting my wife and I’s conversations about whether we want more kids or just a golden retriever.
Reminds me of a comment one of my customers made. We were discussing how after his kids left home and the relationship he now had with his dog.
He said my dog never wrecked the car, never asked to borrow money, never broke the bank with college tuition or ever called to bail him out of jail.
Get a golden retriever.

ppete1975

It got worse after the lockdowns. People got so used to being on their couch and talking as loud and as much as they wanted. Its not just disney, its movie theaters as well. Which to me is even worse. People no longer care about others around them. Its only about them, and lots are more willing to get into a fight than quiet down if asked politely.

mergatroid

I think vloggers in restaurants can be far worse. Last year there were some on a table near us in a restaurant. They were filming themselves standing up and laughing extra loud. It wouldn't have been so bad if it were genuine laughter, but often it wasn't. At several points one of them would say "Let's do that again" and they'd say the same thing and all laugh extra loudly filming another 'take' for their channel.

BasiltheBatLord

Bigger issue for me on my last trip was phone usage on attractions. A couple people on dark rides filming the entire ride, really kills your focus when the person in front of you is holding up a lighted screen the whole time.

Also, sat next to a mother in Hall of Presidents who gave her young son her phone at the beginning of the show who then proceeded to play games on it at full brightness throughout the whole thing.

Phone etiquette in the U.S. seems to have gotten really bad. Blasting your phone on speaker at full volume in public places seems to be normal now. Even in public bathroom stalls!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom