Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

Tha Realest

The second article clearly states that the marketing budget of $140 million was already factored in when they said that TLM movie did indeed wind up making a little $$. Here is another website saying the same thing: TLM made some cash. Feel free to post some websites that show that you are right because I will be happy to say that it lost $100 million but so far I will go with three well know legit websites over someone who said they were no expert. ;) Oh, and here is the meaningful sentence in the new link:

"For a film with a budget of $250 million and $140 million in global marketing spend, The Little Mermaid hasn't earned back nearly as much as other Disney live actions, such as The Lion King and Aladdin."

Your work cited is operating off of bad figures. The budget wasn’t $250M (as she wrote in August) - it was approx $300M (Forbes, two months ago):

DKampy

Did your area ever have any discount dollar theaters? Ones that will run only old movies?
We did have one that was kind of cool that use to show movies that were a few months old… that was in an older theater that had been around since the 1940’s… I have not been in awhile… It’s still around, but I believe they now mostly show classic movies in the streaming age

Prince-1

Your work cited is operating off of bad figures. The budget wasn’t $250M (as she wrote in August) - it was approx $300M (Forbes, two months ago):

And that was the same article that I posted earlier and in said article it says that, “In the case of The Little Mermaid, Disney's $284.8 million share of the box office left it with a $44.6 million profit after deducting its $240.2 million net spending.” Now it does say that figure could go down but for now it made a profit. Thanks.

Tha Realest

And that was the same article that I posted earlier and in said article it says that, “In the case of The Little Mermaid, Disney's $284.8 million share of the box office left it with a $44.6 million profit after deducting its $240.2 million net spending.” Now it does say that figure could go down but for now it made a profit. Thanks for the backup.
A $284.8M share of box office does not leave you with a profit if the spending was $300M

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Did your area ever have any discount dollar theaters? Ones that will run only old movies?
My area had two about 5 miles apart. Both are closed now.

One was originally an AMC that got sold in the late 90s to an independent firm when they opened a larger one about 10 miles away. It closed down permanently in the 10s when they redid the shopping center.

The other, which had $1 Saturdays where I spent a lot of summer weekends, closed in the 00s and reopened in the 10s as an Hindi theater and closed last year.

Prince-1

A $284.8M share of box office does not leave you with a profit if the spending was $300M

You might want to read the article you posted. It is wordy and probably could have used some editing but it does clearly say that TLM made approximately $44.6 million. If you disagree with the article that, once again you posted to refute what I had written, then I suggest that you write the author of it.

LittleBuford

You might want to read the article you posted. It is wordy and probably could have used some editing but it does clearly say that TLM made approximately $44.6 million.
The subsequent sentence states, “However, its profit is likely to nosedive as post-production was still well underway at the date of the financial statements and this will increase the movie's costs.”

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The subsequent sentence reads, “However, its profit is likely to nosedive as post-production was still well underway at the date of the financial statements and this will increase the movie's costs.”
The issue with that is its all unknown. We don't know if any of that work was done in the UK, which would have required updated financial statements. Or if it was done in the US which could have had its own tax breaks reducing costs even further but would all be hidden from the public. So we're left with the only information we have, which has been gone over before.

BTW all of this was discussed ad nauseam months ago and only keeps getting brought up because some can't accept that maybe some Disney movies actually made a little bit of money this year.

Prince-1

The subsequent sentence reads, “However, its profit is likely to nosedive as post-production was still well underway at the date of the financial statements and this will increase the movie's costs.”

Correct which is why I said in my previous post that, “Now it does say that figure could go down” but it certainly does not say anywhere that it lost $100 million like TP and a few others have said. And again, according to the article that myself and Epcot-OG used, TLM made some profit.

LittleBuford

The issue with that is its all unknown. We don't know if any of that work was done in the UK, which would have required updated financial statements. Or if it was done in the US which could have had its own tax breaks reducing costs even further but would all be hidden from the public. So we're left with the only information we have, which has been gone over before.

BTW all of this was discussed ad nauseam months ago and only keeps getting brought up because some can't accept that maybe some Disney movies actually made a little bit of money this year.
I’m not saying the information is reliable or definitive. All of these numbers and calculations are pretty meaningless to me.

I just think we should be accurate in how we characterise the sources we introduce into the discussion.

BrianLo

On the flip side there are plenty of Disney movies this year that will likely never break even. Indy, Haunted Mansion, The Marvels, Wish (unless the toddlers take to it on streaming).

It's intrinsic to cheering against TLM though. Even Elemental people aren't that up in arms about if you imply it found success. The very notion, TLM did anything but fail, bothers some people.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m not saying the information is reliable or definitive. All of these numbers and calculations are pretty meaningless to me.

I just think we should be accurate in how we characterise the sources we introduce into the discussion.
Agreed, that is why I tend to use mostly the industry trades for data. There is also a lot of nuance lost in these conversations because its always presented as its just cut and dry numbers.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
On the flip side there are plenty of Disney movies this year that will likely never break even. Indy, Haunted Mansion, The Marvels, Wish (unless the toddlers take to it on streaming).

It's intrinsic to cheering against TLM though. Even Elemental people aren't that up in arms about if you imply it found success. The very notion, TLM did anything but fail, bothers some people.
Agreed, there is a certain contingent of posters that must have Disney fail on everything. You literally had someone posting here months ago saying they want Disney to go up in flames. Its a weird time to be a fan.

Prince-1

Agreed, there is a certain contingent of posters that must have Disney fail on everything. You literally had someone posting here months ago saying they want Disney to go up in flames. Its a weird time to be a fan.

It simply has to do with people wanting Disney to fail because they dared to make a beloved princess black or that a boy had a crush on another boy or whatever else they deem to be “woke”.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It simply has to do with people wanting Disney to fail because they dared to make a beloved princess black or that a boy had a crush on another boy or whatever else they deem to be “woke”.
This started long before that though. I remember calls for Disney to fail and get rid of Iger, and then dump Marvel and anything else not "core" Disney on other fan boards back like 6-7 years ago. So its been an on-going thing for a long time, its just got progressively worse over the last 3-4 years.

celluloid

I don't know what people want other than better movies out of the deal. I think some want it to fail because they are tired of live action remakes of animated films.

Moana and Snow White are now not likely to happen the same way due to Mermaid's struggle. Live action was Disney's ace in the hole besides marvel. Both have fatigued this year fast. Disney's theme park synergy film remake did not do well either. The brand has little left because of laurels rested on.

Do you think the Mufasa prequel will really do great? That was Disney's biggest live action remake hit
Will we blame any fatigue on bigotry too?

No movie studio makes a 200 million dollar movie to break even or slightly better on the deal and Mermaid was some of the biggest marketing pushes the studio has ever done world wide.

Last edited:

Prince-1

This started long before that though. I remember calls for Disney to fail and get rid of Iger, and then dump Marvel and anything else not "core" Disney on other fan boards back like 6-7 years ago. So its been an on-going thing for a long time, its just got progressively worse over the last 3-4 years.

Sorry I shouldn't have made it seem like that was the only reason why people want Disney to fail because it's not. There were people who had issues with Disney in the past but like you said the desire to see Disney fail has increased exponentially the last few years and I think it started when Chapek criticized DeSantis and continued with their movie choices.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom