News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

peter11435

Which is it was intended to premier while the movie was still in its theatrical run.
We aren’t acting like you don’t know what you know. Your posts themselves show that you don’t know what you think you know.

Again, the film and the figure had independent timelines.

Marketing would have gladly taken advantage of a synergistic timeline, however that was not driving the timeline for either project.

Had the figure debuted on schedule this thread would have been very popular a month ago.

yensidtlaw1969

Note on page 45, this poster who wants to call out and bully stated that there was a chance for it to premier around this time. Not even close to a hard no. The date was August 10th. They state not likely but not impossible. Somoene so more in the know than I apparently even knew that the goal was likely to start in August. That is because it totally was pushing for that time and asap to it while the movie was out.
Way to mischaracterize my entire statement - thankfully you quoted it directly, so people can read for themselves how your assessment of it is so fractured.

At that time, people in this thread (and at large) were assuming that brief August closure must have been scheduled for them to install and reveal The Hatbox Ghost, which was not true. The closure was mainly to replace the unload belt. However they took that opportunity to put up the construction wall in the HBG's spot and spruce up some other elements throughout the ride. It was known that the ride would not have another scheduled closure for the foreseeable, so advantage was taken.

Posters were starting to *assume* he would be revealed on August 10th, and my post was specifically aimed at warning people that was a bad assumption. I didn't state it with 100% certainty because I was not 100% certain - Most of the people I spoke to about it said "absolutely not", but 2 of them gave more of a "we'll see". Didn't seem appropriate to editorialize that into "100% no", but me saying "really most likely *not*" and "keep your expecations low" is a LOT closer to a hard no than you're suggesting it is.

I'm almost shocked that your read of my post amounts to "So you're saying there's a chance!"

peter11435

Like I finished my original post with. This all boils down to Disney looking to save a dime by spreading this out. They installed multiple advanced AAs in about 20 months in Frozen ever after. I guess I'm just failing to see how one figure could take this long, unless it was meant to. The math just doesn't add up. If proper resources were put into it, it's done at least 12 months ago. If they put Frank the intern imagineer on it with no help. Then it makes sense.
On an install like FEA there would be multiple teams working on different figures. If it took 20 months to install 20 figures that doesn’t mean it would take 1 month to install 1 figure. Work is taking place concurrently by multiple parties.

The figure was announced 14 months ago before much of anything was done. 2 months is not nearly enough time to design, engineer and fabricate a figure… build, test, transport, rebuild, and test that figure in location… Write and test software to operate that figure…Design, engineer, and construct structural modifications in a 50 year old building to accommodate that figure… design and install conduit and wiring for power and show control crossing the length of the building… Tie all of that into existing show control… and contend with permitting, inspection and regulatory review. Oh and you can only perform work inside the building for a few hours each night.

erasure fan1

On an install like FEA there would be multiple teams working on different figures. If it took 20 months to install 20 figures that doesn’t mean it would take 1 month to install 1 figure. Work is taking place concurrently by multiple parties.
Good, so we agree. Disney is saving a dime by not putting the appropriate resources on it to have it done in a reasonable timeframe. 😉

ToTBellHop

AFAIK, they wanted the figure for actual Halloween. Why they decided to release the film in August instead of October is an issue to take up with the film production side of the company. I presume they realized it would tank and wanted it on D+ for October.

The delay simply missed 10/31. I also don’t know that it needed to be announced in 2022 but they were desperate for content.

But, others seem to know more than me here.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Good, so we agree. Disney is saving a dime by not putting the appropriate resources on it to have it done in a reasonable timeframe. 😉
They aren't actually spreading it out though - Construction on the figure started before August, of course. But remember that the place he's going can't be accessed by the team for 16 hours out of every single work day. Things like this aren't plug and play, they take time to integrate, and once you're working in the ride itself your available hours are limited. It's just not the kind of problem you can throw more people at. Add to that the fact there was a hiccup and it starts to take a bit longer.

But the August to November timeline isn't really what's egregious here. Announcing the figure more than a year in advance is the problem. That's the real variable factor here. This isn't TRON where they spread the costs over multiple fiscal years - they absolutely do that, and it's lame as hell from the guest perspective, but The Hatbox Ghost is not a victim of that. He's a victim of Disney's bad marketing practices more than anything.

They need to learn to keep the lid on things longer, especially projects like this that really should just be a kind of pleasant surprise. Announcing him more than a year out doesn't do the good they seem to think it does.

celluloid

Remember what a couple here are asking you to buy-in to.

That August 10th and September were a maybe to never going to happen from the get-go.
Then just a few weeks later at a large PR gathering it was announced that the timeframe was late November.
But there was also a snag or delay at some point, maybe even after that, but the timeframe of November was known in late August in order to give an early September announcement that it would not be ready until late November.
Otherwise, you would have to believe the snag was discovered early on in August, so the announcement of unforeseen delay was already known by the September announcement of November.

It just does not make sense and seems like some enjoy cold reading tactics on the level of John Edwards to always sound right.

peter11435

They aren't actually spreading it out though - Construction on the figure started before August, of course. But remember that the place he's going can't be accessed by the team for 16 hours out of every single work day. Things like this aren't plug and play, they take time to integrate, and once you're working in the ride itself your available hours are limited. It's just not the kind of problem you can throw more people at. Add to that the fact there was a hiccup and it starts to take a bit longer.

But the August to November timeline isn't really what's egregious here. Announcing the figure more than a year in advance is the problem. That's the real variable factor here. This isn't TRON where they spread the costs over multiple fiscal years - they absolutely do that, and it's lame as hell from the guest perspective, but The Hatbox Ghost is not a victim of that. He's a victim of Disney's bad marketing practices more than anything.

They need to learn to keep the lid on things longer, especially projects like this that really should just be a kind of pleasant surprise. Announcing him more than a year out doesn't do the good they seem to think it does.
I would add that that it’s actually even more than 16 hours a day that they can’t access the building. Most days it’s more like 20-21

yensidtlaw1969

I would add that that it’s actually even more than 16 hours a day that they can’t access the building. Most days it’s more like 20-21
Oh totally, I meant minimum given park hours. But it's true and worth stating that they can't and don't just rush in the second the last Doombuggy clears its guests.

ToTBellHop

Oh totally, I meant minimum given park hours. But it's true and worth stating that they can't and don't just rush in the second the last Doombuggy clears its guests.
And they can’t be working all night until 8:30 am, either. Plus, the entirety of the installation period was party season. The impact of party season on nighttime maintenance work cannot be overstated.

yensidtlaw1969

You don't have to to display the truth from both of you. The quote and him liking what you stated just before compared to what that poster said in the above quote from page 45 speaks for itself.

I have never tried to give an exact date. I don't want to try to because that is how soft openings and premiers work until confidence is there.
I know from the marketing side that communication was a mess and it did not hit its goals, "snag", bad communication etc...
But I am not going to be bullied into people acting like I don't know what I know.

Which is it was intended to premier while the movie was still in its theatrical run.

Remember what a couple here are asking you to buy-in to.

That August 10th and September were a maybe to never going to happen from the get-go.
Then just a few weeks later at a large PR gathering it was announced that the timeframe was late November.
But there was also a snag or delay at some point, maybe even after that, but the timeframe of November was known in late August in order to give an early September announcement that it would not be ready until late November.
Otherwise, you would have to believe the snag was discovered early on in August, so the announcement of unforeseen delay was already known by the September announcement of November.

It just does not make sense and seems like some enjoy cold reading tactics on the level of John Edwards to always sound right.

Quoted for posterity, bolded for emphasis.

celluloid

The onus is on Disney to give ample time to install. It is pathetic methodology either way that missed their timeline. Goes back to crappy management culture.

peter11435

Yep, and before anyone says they should be rushing in sooner.. they can’t. Things have to be properly powered down and safety procedures followed. And they can’t take all of the hours the attraction is closed because maintenance also has work that needs to be done every night and depending on the nature of the work and if maintenance needs the ride running, WDI will not be able to be in the building while it’s taking place. And then all will need to be out hours before the park opens so they can get everything tested and running again.

celluloid

Was crappy management culture the reason Journey Into Imagination was delayed 5 months in 1982?

Ground breaking technology of a near ten minute ride in both ride dynamic and special effects within an entire pavilion. Leadership knew they had to get it open and worked around the clock to do it in what was at the time the most ambitious theme park that was less than a year old. And that was when things were fairly lean compared to the ambitions. One that had no bad show to day guests. vs a one animated figure behind a curtain.

You really think those fruits are of the same basket?

peter11435

Ground breaking technology of a near ten minute ride in both ride dynamic and special effects. Leadership knew they had to get it open and worked around the clock to do it in a park that was less then two years old. And that was when things were fairly lean compared to the ambitions. One that had no bad show to day guests. vs a one animated figure behind a curtain.

The onus was on Disney to make sure they had ample time and resources to get Journey ready for the parks opening day. Without it their brand new park would only open with 5 rides. It’s unacceptable that they would be impacted by an unexpected delay. I think having the main attraction of one of your 5 future world pavilions shuttered for the first 5 months the park was open is bad show.

yensidtlaw1969

Ground breaking technology of a near ten minute ride in both ride dynamic and special effects within an entire pavilion. Leadership knew they had to get it open and worked around the clock to do it in a park that was less than two years old. And that was when things were fairly lean compared to the ambitions. One that had no bad show to day guests. vs a one animated figure behind a curtain.

You mean building a ship vs. building a ship in a bottle?

Different fruits and different baskets, yes. But both susceptible to bruises, if from different causes. Which was the actual point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom