Captain Marvel 2: "The Marvels" -- Nov 10, 2023 Theatrical Release

Willmark

Lady Thor was pretty great, but Danvers never really got a great run (the Claremont stuff was probably the best). I doubt Danvers headlines another film, but I’m certain she’ll show up, especially when she’s needed for that other character.

I just hope the universal acclaim for Ms Marvel, even in bad reviews, convinces them to follow up on her story in The Marvels.
We’ll agree to disagree on Thor.

For background I started reading him in the mid #200s till around #400. Always liked him, had no issues with Jane lifting the hammer, the frogs, etc.

But when I went to get back in? I think it was #5. She’s beating up Absorbing Man and Titania is taking her side in the fight? The dialogue is looking almost like a parody. Again the issue to me isn’t female Thor it’s the god awful dialogue. Again my first thought was really? Marvel is surprised their sales were tanking?

_caleb

But when I went to get back in? I think it was #5. She’s beating up Absorbing Man and Titania is taking her side in the fight? The dialogue is looking almost like a parody. Again the issue to me isn’t female Thor it’s the god awful dialogue.
I don’t think these issues are as distinct as you make them out to be.

_caleb

?

Are you suggesting I don’t know what I thought was bad writing and said no thanks?
No. That’s a weird question. How would I know what you thought beyond what you’re telling us here? I thought you were pretty clear that you thought it was bad writing.

I’m suggesting that your pre-conceived attitudes may have colored your perception of the writing.

I think this is one factor in the overall reception of The Marvels.

erasure fan1

I agree with the Superman comparisons and how overpowered heroes can make for less compelling superhero stories.
That's why superman is one of my least favorite superheros of either DC or Marvel. The only superman story I really enjoyed was Smallville. And in that, there was a very compelling story around him becoming the hero, he wasn't a "super man" yet.
I believe this is why these films are less popular with other audiences.
That's a good possibility. The more relatable to the average person a hero is, generally the more popular they are.

Jedijax719

You can't steer a boat without a rudder into choppy waters. Since Endgame, the MCU has opened up new potential plotlines such as the multiverse, the ten rings and the bangle bracelet, Kang, and a few hints at others. Nothing matriculated and they keep forcing a previously dead story to continue without direction. Captain Marvel came out between the infinity movies and had nothing to anticipate after that. Wandavision was forgotten and Monica moreso. Ms. Marvel was panned by fans. And even Fury lost any hope after the debacle that was Secret Invasion. There was never any hope for this movie nor the characters moving forward.

MCU is dead as it stands. Time for a reboot with mutants.

Tha Realest

Also don’t treat the movie audience like the park crowd:

“They’ll buy ANYTHING as long as we slap a label on it!”

That’s being rejected across the board
Come on! The Brand™️ is alive and strong!
Apparently, the rest of the world also hates cats.

The Marvels’ projected $80M international box office opening has dipped to the $60M neighborhood.

umm, that’s far worse than Black Adam

TP2000

Word of mouth apparently not kicking in yet (or perhaps it has).

What I find hilarious about that article's headline is that it thinks an appearance last night on The Tonight Show by Ms. Larson would actually goose the box office a bit and build hype. 🤣 🤣 🤣

In a country of 335 Million people, almost no one under age 50 is watching those late night talk shows any more. And The Tonight Show is one of the lower rated of those five shows. In October, 2023 The Tonight Show had an average nightly viewership of of 250,600 people aged 18 to 49.

250,600 people is 0.07% of the US population. Johnny Carson is dead and the 1970's and 80's are never coming back.

Please Clap.jpg

Vegas Disney Fan

Reading this review, it’s a curious approach when you’re making a film that has to attract a massive global audience to generate a return.

I hope this “new audience” they are pursuing can make up for the “fanboys” of the previous billion dollar entries that they now want to actively turn away.

We’ll see how that strategy works out for them.

I had no idea that fansboys made up about 2/3 of MCUs previous box office, I thought it was coming from average joes.

If they are ok with their new fan base they better adjust their budgets accordingly, without the “fanboys” the days of $2 billion marvel films are over, the new expectation should probably be $500-750 million a film, Can’t have budgets of $250 million+ on a low end expectation of $500 million, $100-150 million should probably be the top budget going forward, which is going to be nearly impossible with all the CGI and big scenes these films require.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Reading this review, it’s a curious approach when you’re making a film that has to attract a massive global audience to generate a return.

I hope this “new audience” they are pursuing can make up for the “fanboys” of the previous billion dollar entries that they now want to actively turn away.

We’ll see how that strategy works out for them.

They’re operating on the premise that 99% of the “fan boys” (the ones that spend money on “fan stuff”) Will be dead In 5 years or less…

…the pizza industry is gonna take Huge hit 😱🍕

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I had no idea that fansboys made up about 2/3 of MCUs previous box office, I thought it was coming from average joes.

If they are ok without their new fan base they better adjust their budgets accordingly, without the “fanboys” the days of $2 billion marvel films are over, the new expectation should probably be $500-750 million a film, Can’t have budgets of $250 million+ on a low end expectation of $500 million, $100-150 million should probably be the top budget going forward, which is going to be nearly impossible with all the CGI and big scenes these films require.

I think a lot of it came from kids and average joes

But only because they had some good early ones to draw them in…

Not “labels”…and that’s Bob…and his fastball is flat and 76mph these days

Vegas Disney Fan

They’re operating that 99% of the “fan boys” (the ones that spend money on “fan stuff” Will be dead In 5 years or less…

…the pizza industry is gonna take Huge hit 😱🍕
Why would a top selling product abandon the people who’ve made them #1 in search of new customers? It makes no sense.

Is their internal data that bad? These people aren’t dying in 5 years, they‘re 30-60, these brands can’t survive the next 3 decades without them.

Edited to add that many are even younger, my Gf has seen every MCU film with her son, it’s a tradition for them, it started when he was probably 10 and he’s now in his mid 20s. That’s their traditional audience they are abandoning in search of a new one.

_caleb

Why would a top selling product abandon the people who’ve made them #1 in search of new customers? It makes no sense.

Is their internal data that bad? These people aren’t dying in 5 years, they‘re 30-60, these brands can’t survive the next 3 decades without them.

Edited to add that many are even younger, my Gf has seen every MCU film with her son, it’s a tradition for them, it started when he was probably 10 and he’s now in his mid 20s. That’s their traditional audience they are abandoning in search of a new one.
I think you overestimate the size of the audience you are in, projecting your perspectives onto other audiences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willmark

There are parts to this movie that I cannot believe got the green light... without going into detail but to say
Is this a super hero movie or is it a musical? The movie was already facing strong headwinds and someone thought, "hey you know hat this move needs? A musical number!

_caleb

There are parts to this movie that I cannot believe got the green light... without going into detail but to say
Is this a super hero movie or is it a musical? The movie was already facing strong headwinds and someone thought, "hey you know hat this move needs? A musical number!
Rigid categories are made to be broken.

Ever see the Buffy the Vampire episode called, “Once More, With Feeling?” It’s widely considered one of the best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom