Miscellaneous Tokyo Thoughts

Kevin_W

I was wondering about people's thoughts about the English support at TDR. I feel like it's difficult for me to give advice because I understand Japanese, so I didn't have issues. But I can't help to feel that certain things would be extremely difficult or near impossible to explain to cast members/workers without Japanese. I've heard that even guest relations may not even have the best support, nor do the Disney Hotels. People say apparently the Hilton/Sheraton tend to have better support? Not really sure, but from an international guest standpoint it would make a lot of sense.

Since Japan was closed for so long, many of my Japanese friends who work in hospitality and speak English told me that they had not spoken English for such a long time, and it has been difficult adjusting back.

We were there and June and found the level of English known by the CM's we interacted with to be pretty low. For example, if they worked in food service, they probably knew English for the items on their menu and a few other basic words, but nothing beyond that. Even the concierge at our hotel was somewhat limited (Nikko Grand).

But that said, we did not find it to be a problem at all. Signage and google translate were more than enough to get by.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

As has been said by many, many people over the years, Tokyo, as a park that is not owned or operated by TWDC in any capacity, is not under ANY obligation to make any updates to attractions unless they themselves wish to make those changes. TWDC can ask nicely, but they cannot MAKE the Oriental Land Company do anything as long as they're upholding the standards set out by the terms of the agreement they have with Disney. There has been no evidence that OLC has any immediate desire to update the Pirates auction scene or any other part of the attraction. Could they? Sure. Are they obligated to if they don't think it's worth the time/expense/money involved? No.
That's odd, as apparently TWDC was the one who told them to remove ZADDD from all park loops.

As mentioned in another thread, TWDC seems to be trying their best to make Tokyo get rid of Splash:
Splash mountain still has a reference to the Spooky Boo parade.

But no merch. Sadly they're slowly trying to phase off Splash related merch or music from the park.

Due to pressure from WDC, OLC is trying its efforts to appeal on what WDC says.

It's unfortunate but in a few years another IP might replace the ride, But its not Tiana.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
A video recap of Tokyo Disneyland's first 15 years with some good b-roll footage of various shows and attractions including the Castle Mystery Tour.

SweetDuffy101

Uhm, Is it just me or some cast members are treating foreign guests and local guests very differently, What i mean is like locals yeah they will explain it very detailed and friendly way and will treat you like a "friend".

but when its a non japanese speaking guest its COLD like if you want to take a picture lets say infront cinderella castle and as a local for example, They will hand you some garland accessories they will be politely asking you for better angles and poses. While non locals gets treated like one,two three "click" thank you, Next.

Its kinda racist.

SweetDuffy101

Im not generalizing it, but Its most of them.

Been visiting the resort recently since im touring some of my non local friends and relatives in tokyo disney alot, Its has been happening multiple times and they needed to be said

wdrive

Uhm, Is it just me or some cast members are treating foreign guests and local guests very differently, What i mean is like locals yeah they will explain it very detailed and friendly way and will treat you like a "friend".

but when its a non japanese speaking guest its COLD like if you want to take a picture lets say infront cinderella castle and as a local for example, They will hand you some garland accessories they will be politely asking you for better angles and poses. While non locals gets treated like one,two three "click" thank you, Next.

Its kinda racist.

I would presume it’s a language barrier thing. The cast most likely won’t know more than the most basic English, so can’t explain things in the same detailed and friendly way.

Maybe learn conversational Japanese and then see how they treat you

SweetDuffy101

I would presume it’s a language barrier thing. The cast most likely won’t know more than the most basic English, so can’t explain things in the same detailed and friendly way.

Maybe learn conversational Japanese and then see how they treat you
Im a foreigner living in Japan, I speak fluent Japanese. This is based on my personal experience since i tour my foreigner friends and relatives in the parks, Im going to the parks on a monthly basis. Let me clarify that this is not a one scenario situation there were more instances that some not so friendly cast members ive encountered. The worst one was the During Tokyo DisneySea's Believe! Sea of dreams Guest control cast members.

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

Its kinda racist.
Never experienced this, but my guess is it's just anxiety about communicating? Which is a very common thing for Japanese when dealing with foreigners.

If you're a (non-Asian looking) foreigner, every Japanese person you ever meet is going to assume you know absolutely zero Japanese when they first meet you.

wdrive

Im a foreigner living in Japan, I speak fluent Japanese. This is based on my personal experience since i tour my foreigner friends and relatives in the parks, Im going to the parks on a monthly basis. Let me clarify that this is not a one scenario situation there were more instances that some not so friendly cast members ive encountered. The worst one was the During Tokyo DisneySea's Believe! Sea of dreams Guest control cast members.

How do they converse with you when you speak in fluent Japanese to them compared to your none Japanese speaking friends?

I really don’t think there’s widespread racism from Tokyo Disney cast members towards western tourists

tanc

I spent a week in WDW and I have to say Tokyo might be my home resort now. The Tokyo Disney app, while not perfect, actually seems to work way better, and isn't a deciding factor about being able to ride everything. MDE has practically destroyed WDW.

Not to mention the parks are just so much better maintained and the service feels genuinely better. I've had some pretty rude cast at Disney World.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

a european company now one of the major stockholders of Tokyo Disney Resort.

Major is probably a stretch. Palliser now owns 1.6% of Keisei Group (their 8th largest shareholder) which in turn owns 22.15% of OLC Group. They’re in the news for presenting a plan based on reducing Keisei’s stake to less than 15%.

Here’s a follow up article and Palliser’s presentation.

Robbiem

I always thought it was odd that Keisei railway was a part owner of Tokyo Disney when the resort has a JR station. I think they may own the limousine bus (coach) service to the resort but you would have thought they would have built it on their railway line

IMDREW

How probable is it that TDR opens an attraction from refurbishment early?

I managed to get great tickets to fly to Japan, but will miss Sinbad's reopening by one week!

amjt660

Premium Member
Hello
Going to TDR on Nov 21 and 22
Appreciate the advice so far on ticket purchasing

We are staying at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo bay for 5 nights and would like to visit at least two of the Disney hotels
One for a dinner on on first night and one for lunch on our departure day

Any advice on which hotels visit and which restaurants to eat at?

Thanks in advance

Max

tanc

Hello
Going to TDR on Nov 21 and 22
Appreciate the advice so far on ticket purchasing

We are staying at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo bay for 5 nights and would like to visit at least two of the Disney hotels
One for a dinner on on first night and one for lunch on our departure day

Any advice on which hotels visit and which restaurants to eat at?

Thanks in advance

Max
you have to use the reservation site for the hotels, but I'm not sure what availability is like right now. the toy story hotel restaurant can not be booked if you aren't a guest there though. I just checked the site and there appears to be no reservations for the hotel restaurants as of right now. You can try to check everyday at 8pm EDT daily, but there is no guarantee you will get a reservation in time.

Definitely check out the Disneyland Hotel and Mira Costa if you can, however I think ambassador is pretty far away and not really worth checking out.

Here is the link:

you can check out ikispiari if you want, but TDR doesn't have a ton of places outside the park to eat. there is the station as well, but ikispiari is your best bet on property.

Unless you venture forth into parts of chiba or return to Tokyo, there's not really a ton of options. I don't even really know of any local convenience stores near Tokyo Disney.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom