Is the future bleak for Disneyworld, Disneyland, etc?

eliza61nyc

...or we can just stop going. If what we loved about Disney parks is no longer a part of the parks, it makes no sense to open our wallets and just accept the decline.
But that's what gets me, is they don't stop going and the few times I've pointed that out I get the answer
" I never said we hated it" or " we go we just don't spend as much money as we used to".
🤷🏽‍♀️

Tom Morrow

I feel that WDW is in pretty much no danger of losing its spot as the top dog in the theme park industry as well as one of the top vacation destinations in the world.

I also feel that more and more of what the OG fans and purists like about it is going to be thrown by the wayside. Unless a major paradigm shift in leadership happens, WDW will eventually become the purely cynical corporate synergy marketing tool it was always satirized as (but wasn't actually true). We are now continuously seeing decisions and changes made that, 10-15 years ago, would have been suggested as a hyperbolic joke idea (haha wouldn't it be funny if they replaced all the cultural World Showcase attractions with Disney movie tie-ins??) and it seems as though that is only going to increase unless, again, a true creative visionary takes the helm and shifts course.

In the past few years my enthusiasm for the place has taken a steep nosedive as I watch them remove everything that made it unique and mentally stimulating in favor of marketing tie-ins that appease the ever-growing population of "Disney Adults" and Disney Brand Lifestylers/Influencers.

So, for me, the future of WDW feels bleak, but for most people and as a whole, no.

Jrb1979

But that's what gets me, is they don't stop going and the few times I've pointed that out I get the answer
" I never said we hated it" or " we go we just don't spend as much money as we used to".
🤷🏽‍♀️
I've stopped going and haven't gone since 2016. We have no plans to return any time soon. The only Disney parks I still want to visit is Japan. At least those have to original Disney feel to them.

MAGICFLOP

If holding billions of dollars worth of assets is bleak, I'd like to feel that degree of depression.
I think you are looking at it too simplistically.. yeah they have assets, but what are they worth? They were just offered 10 Billion for ABC network... while that sounds good, until you realize that they paid 19 billion for it.. ABC is a dying asset as the cord cutter dump cable, its value can only go down.

Marionnette

🤷🏽‍♀️
TBH, I haven't completely stopped going but my enthusiasm for Disney trips has diminished considerably. In fact, I was more excited about going to Universal the last time we visited (November 2022) and we only spent 2 days at the Disney parks out of the entire 8-night trip. There was a time when we would have spent all 9 days in Disney parks and we would be planning a return trip before we even left.

Goofyernmost

I think you are looking at it too simplistically.. yeah they have assets, but what are they worth? They were just offered 10 Billion for ABC network... while that sounds good, until you realize that they paid 19 billion for it.. ABC is a dying asset as the cord cutter dump cable, its value can only go down.
I'm aware of all the asset vs. debt stuff. My point and opinion was that they have a lot of leeway and a crapload of cash flow so any imminent problem doesn't exist. It's just that with the pressure from Florida and Paris at the moment it seems that WDW is somewhat in danger. It is not. A lot of people have speculated that Florida's illegal take over of RCID will negatively affect WDW, but it hasn't yet so the prediction is somewhat premature. It may, but it hasn't yet and long term it is still the wisest move to fight out this travesty of freedom to a positive conclusion. They have found creative way to charge for everything and I wouldn't be surprised if they have a crack team of accountants currently trying to figure out a way to charge for the air around the parks.

I do believe that they have a couple of assets that would be wise to cut lose, I don't see ABC as one of them. Even if the spreadsheet has an in the red balance on paper, the position of having a large media complex affords it many other advantages that positively affect other parts of TWDC.

Goofyernmost

I will say, in your 48 trips over 40 years you did visit WDW in the best of times. Well done. I am not feeling confident about the years to come at WDW. The company has caused it to be a declining market there for the company, and now will invest less in WDW say it’s because it’s a declining market there.
The path they have taken is a very short sighted direction to go. Targeting those was a lot of spendable income is an "all eggs in one basket" way of doing business. In my life's experience those with wealth are very fickle about what they do with their leisure time. Today, it's lets go to Disney and pay, because we can, lots of cash but they are not the many years long fans. They might target the WDW now but in a couple of years maybe the French Riviera or some of the many socially prestigious places that people with a lot of excess money can go and impress. A trip to WDW will not impress someone that already thinks that theme parks are for kids. When they block the less affluent group that not only built Disney Theme Parks but also brought with them children that brought their children that brought their children they block a lot of its future popularity and return guests. It's to early for this to show up now but I am confident that it will show up., Even if it weren't a matter of cost, they have succeeded in making it more difficult to get in than Fort Knox. It requires constant attention to schedules and strict disciplined planning that would make D-Day seem like at 3rd grade multiple choice quiz. It is no longer fan friendly nor do they seem to care. Trust me WDW is no longer the fun, family place I fell in love with in 1983, it's more like a job and I am retired.
but through my 30's, 40''s and 50's I daydreamed about the time when I would retire and spend a lot more time in WDW. I was that much enamored by the place. I tried to devise ways that I could be connected without even being there, like Travel Agent, etc. I even change professions in my 50's throwing away the desk and 9 to 5 job and learned how to drive a passenger bus so I could retire nearby and drive buses for Disney. My last 10 years before retirement was spent working for a public transportation company so I could be set for that day. Things in life changed and prevented that from happening, but it was always an option.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I've stopped going and haven't gone since 2016. We have no plans to return any time soon. The only Disney parks I still want to visit is Japan. At least those have to original Disney feel to them.
My one regret in life is that I didn't go to the park in Japan. I had been to Japan before there was a park there, but seeing videos about the park it was intriguing to say the least. To old now and mobility issues that rule it out. I do wish I would have gone when I could have. Maybe in my next life! ;)

Goofyernmost

Yet here you are, spending your time and posting in a forum dedicated to the very place that isn’t even an option for you.
Not being able or willing to go at this point in no way indicates that people don't have fond memories and are upset about what has happened that has interfered with individual enjoyment. Nor does it mean that we aren't still interested in what is happening, we are just not happy about it, but unlike some we don't stick our heads in the sand and refuse to see what has and is happening that we feel is wrong. Our posting on a Disney site only prevents Disney of getting anymore of our money but lets us stay informed. Not sure why that is a problem for you. Especially since the title of this thread is about a bleak future for the place.

I suppose in the wide vision of things we have decided that we were being picked clean and are as bewildered about how the rest of you are perfectly happy with paying more for a lot less.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Where are they?
Don’t think we’ve seen that one “explored” for a very LONG time

They just started cranking food prices again…and are getting a good bit of grief and flak for it - at least from the Disneyland crowds.

Always late to the party…nobody told burbank that the “inflation” cash grab era has ended…blowback finally across the system and intensifying

Jrb1979

For me I just hope that one day they will go back to adding attractions that i liked about WDW. Adding World of Motion to Test Track gives a bit of hope that maybe they figured out what made them unique in the theme park industry.

I want to see more World of Motion and less Ratatouille, Guardians, Tron, and Rise. Give me more slow moving dark rides with less screens and more AAs.

Last edited by a moderator:

eliza61nyc

Not being able or willing to go at this point in no way indicates that people don't have fond memories and are upset about what has happened that has interfered with individual enjoyment. Nor does it mean that we aren't still interested in what is happening, we are just not happy about it, but unlike some we don't stick our heads in the sand and refuse to see what has and is happening that we feel is wrong. Our posting on a Disney site only prevents Disney of getting anymore of our money but lets us stay informed. Not sure why that is a problem for you. Especially since the title of this thread is about a bleak future for the place.

I suppose in the wide vision of things we have decided that we were being picked clean and are as bewildered about how the rest of you are perfectly happy with paying more for a lot less.
Because like every thing in life, the degree of happiness is dependent upon how you view a thing.

Now I don't view the value of something based solely on what I paid 20 years ago. I started going to Ocean City NJ years ago when my kids were little, I've been renting the same spot for 20 years. when I first started going it cost me 800 bucks for the week. last year, it was $4300 bucks. lol I'm not even going to get into my properties taxes that have gone from 1164 per year in 1998 to 1000 per MONTH. my point being is that if what I paid for an item, vacation, service was the only way I critique the value of some thing, I wouldn't think anything would be worth the money.

It really is simple why we are perfectly happy going to wdw. We simply always have fantastic vacations that have us planning the next trip before we even get home. Now we don't have the wdw history that many here do so we don't have that nostalgic longing of days gone by. We are pretty accepting of change, some we like (that God they got rid of the great movie ride) and some we didn't like (BRING BACK ILLUMINATIONS DARN IT LOL). we totally agree that genie plus is lousy and a money grab and we decided not to use it. although we did cave one day on our last vacation this past September. We stayed offsite one time and swore to stay home if we could not stay onsite.

We are pretty intelligent folks, okay mildly intelligent ;) and computer literate, we can and do go other places so going to Disney is not the result of not knowing "what else is out there".

Jrb1979

Because like every thing in life, the degree of happiness is dependent upon how you view a thing.

Now I don't view the value of something based solely on what I paid 20 years ago. I started going to Ocean City NJ years ago when my kids were little, I've been renting the same spot for 20 years. when I first started going it cost me 800 bucks for the week. last year, it was $4300 bucks. lol I'm not even going to get into my properties taxes that have gone from 1164 per year in 1998 to 1000 per MONTH. my point being is that if what I paid for an item, vacation, service was the only way I critique the value of some thing, I wouldn't think anything would be worth the money.

It really is simple why we are perfectly happy going to wdw. We simply always have fantastic vacations that have us planning the next trip before we even get home. Now we don't have the wdw history that many here do so we don't have that nostalgic longing of days gone by. We are pretty accepting of change, some we like (that God they got rid of the great movie ride) and some we didn't like (BRING BACK ILLUMINATIONS DARN IT LOL). we totally agree that genie plus is lousy and a money grab and we decided not to use it. although we did cave one day on our last vacation this past September. We stayed offsite one time and swore to stay home if we could not stay onsite.

We are pretty intelligent folks, okay mildly intelligent ;) and computer literate, we can and do go other places so going to Disney is not the result of not knowing "what else is out there".
For my family we don't compare the price from today versus 20 years ago to determine value. It's the attractions that have been added in the recent years that does nothing for us.

We loved Great Movie Ride. While it did need updating, it was a lot less screen dependent than the awful ride that is there now. Too many attractions that are screen dependent.

We did feel the same about Universal as well. Velocicoaster is something we want to ride and my wife has never been to Halloween Horror Nights so we are visiting next year.

I also know the places my family likes visiting the majority of people here hate. We loved going to Myrtle Beach and this February we are going to Clearwater for a week.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

So an objective consensus is not possible then?
…like…ever?

Disstevefan1

As to the OPs subject, and the future for DLR and WDW. The future to me, is how much TWDC is willing to invest in these parks.

The Fresh Baked YouTuber shows TONS of work being done in DLR. This to me shows the future is bright for DLR.

As for the Magic Kingdom, while yes, we got TRON in the Magic Kingdom, talk is cheap, they have been talking about the beyond thunder mountain cr@p for over a year.

The EPCOT renovation was a net loss in my mind, a lot of concrete work and new landscaping mostly. Moana and the Rat does not count for much, we got Guardians but it replaced an attraction instead of being added, and we all remember the mistake in the seven seas lagoon.

Disney Studios, we got MMRR to replace the Great Movie ride INSTEAD OF ADDING MMRR, and we see the facades literally falling off the structures, the Starcruiser was shuttered without even trying to fix it, another mistake.

They are talking about doing tings at AK but who knows.

So, to me. the future looks bright for DLR and it looks bleak for WDW.

And I have to wonder if what is happening in WDW is intended because of the fight between Iger and (you know who)?

Goofyernmost

Nor do I. I base it on todays cost and how it lines up with my ability to justify the cost. Cost vs. enjoyment. You still enjoy it and all it's added costs and details to even get into a park when you want and you still find it worth the hassle. I do not! I do not plan nor do I desire to do so. When all is said and done spontaneity is a main requirement for an enjoyable vacation. My, and many others, view vacations as fun and as stress free as humanly possible. Disney no long supplies that. It apparently isn't a deal killer for you, but for me it is. If I want to work that hard, I would have just stayed at work and cashed in my vacation time and bought a new car or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom