News Tomorrowland love

Ayla

Have you seen the new paint job on the glaciers ~ errr, rocks~ framing the Tomorrowland entrance?

They are now painted in bright, shimmering shades of BLUE.

Sir_Cliff

Making attraction decisions based on merchandise is just a bad idea. Nothing “deserves” to be in the parks because it sold a lot of movie tickets or a lot of toys.
This is very true, and I guess part of the question is whether the world of Stitch really lends itself to an engaging attraction.

One thing that does come to mind is that Buzz could easily be refurbed into a Stitch attraction in outer space and I think it would even fit Tomorrowland better than a toy-based attraction. There's no real incentive for them to do that, though, especially as they seem unconcerned about Toy Story overload in the parks.

sedati

Making attraction decisions based on merchandise is just a bad idea. Nothing “deserves” to be in the parks because it sold a lot of movie tickets or a lot of toys.
People vote with their dollars do they not? I actually think using the data they're surely getting from Disney+ is even better as they can see what's resonating most. New releases will always have high numbers, but it's a great way to see what older releases hold interest. Let's say "The Cat From Outer Space" has high viewership numbers month to month (as it should) then that should at least make it a contender for representation. As for something "deserving" to be in the parks, my theory has always been that EVERY animated release "deserves" to have something in the castle parks as I believe each and every film is probably someone's favorite and they would love to see it represented. I'm not talking about everything getting a ride or show, but I do think it would be wonderful if they could fit at least a subtle nod to all 60+ features even if it's just as simple as a sign on a window.

Bocabear

Thing is, there is no metric as to how popular an attraction in the parks is based on their IP... Any attraction, unless it is terribly boring , is going to be accepted and loved...IP or not... and I don't really believe that people go to Disney to go on the Stitch ride...but really the combination of all the attractions...that drive the attendance....Star Wars Cult-like popularity is an anomaly and drives attendance... But popular IP or not, a good, well done attraction will always win....

lazyboy97o

People vote with their dollars do they not? I actually think using the data they're surely getting from Disney+ is even better as they can see what's resonating most. New releases will always have high numbers, but it's a great way to see what older releases hold interest. Let's say "The Cat From Outer Space" has high viewership numbers month to month (as it should) then that should at least make it a contender for representation. As for something "deserving" to be in the parks, my theory has always been that EVERY animated release "deserves" to have something in the castle parks as I believe each and every film is probably someone's favorite and they would love to see it represented. I'm not talking about everything getting a ride or show, but I do think it would be wonderful if they could fit at least a subtle nod to all 60+ features even if it's just as simple as a sign on a window.
How something works in one medium has no direct bearing on how it work in another. In some cases what makes something work so well in one medium is what makes it not work well in other mediums.

The Empress Lilly

Honestly, they should put Stitch somewhere- I am constantly shocked at the amount of Stitch merchandise I randomly see people wearing, honestly more than any other animated character excepting Mickey and Minnie. The character has clear stating power and should be represented in the park somehow.
I noticed this too. Stitch seems to be genuinely liked. More present in the public imagination than you'd think.

My observation may be tainted because I adore Stitch and would sooner notice him than IP I'm indifferent too.

Parks are their own thing though. A park's theme and needs ought to dictate IP inclusion.
If Stitch must be included, not TL, the cartoony space of Stitch is unrelated to TL's real world. (Bring back Mission to Mars, sponsored by SpaceX!). Plus the best part of Stitch are Hawaïan - the setting and his character arc.

If we can pipedream, I'd put him in Typhoon Lagoon or a water park, in a Pacific area together with Moana.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Honestly, they should put Stitch somewhere- I am constantly shocked at the amount of Stitch merchandise I randomly see people wearing, honestly more than any other animated character excepting Mickey and Minnie. The character has clear stating power and should be represented in the park somehow.
Just wait until the live action abomination destroys this goodwill

aladdin2007

I noticed this too. Stitch seems to be genuinely liked. More present in the public imagination than you'd think.

My observation may be tainted because I adore Stitch and would sooner notice him than IP I'm indifferent too.

Parks are their own thing though. A park's theme and needs ought to dictate IP inclusion.
If Stitch must be included, not TL, the cartoony space of Stitch is unrelated to TL's real world. (Bring back Mission to Mars, sponsored by SpaceX!). Plus the best part of Stitch are Hawaïan - the setting and his character arc.

If we can pipedream, I'd put him in Typhoon Lagoon or a water park, in a Pacific area together with Moana.
At one time, stitch and his animatronic were planned to go to the tiki room, a version of the tokyo show.

SpectreJordan

Buzz would be the perfect spot. Toy Story doesn't need two shooting game rides & TSM is a lot better than Buzz.

I agree with that to...Disney used to create wonderful experiences that did not need an IP... and those are the ones with real staying power.
The likes of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Everest, the original Imagination, etc... all have staying power. But so do Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones Adventure, Splash Mountain & probably Flights of Passage/Rise of the Resistance too.

Not mention that there's been plenty of original attractions that have fallen flat on their faces too; I don't think anyone's going to cry if Mission: Space gets the boot.

It's nice to have these unique, original ideas for park attractions & it's definitely an issue that the US park haven't received a new one in 17 years. But if an IP attraction is high quality then I don't think it matters all too much.

I think the real issue is that there's been a lot of recent attractions that are just "alright". There's been a heavy reliance on screens & those will never be better than physical sets/animatronics. It just so happens that these attractions are all IP based, so it's easy to compare something mid like Mickey's Runaway Railroad to Haunted Mansion & then blame the huge gap in quality on the usage of IP.

sedati

Buzz would be the perfect spot. Toy Story doesn't need two shooting game rides & TSM is a lot better than Buzz.

The likes of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder, Everest, the original Imagination, etc... all have staying power. But so do Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones Adventure, Splash Mountain & probably Flights of Passage/Rise of the Resistance too.

Not mention that there's been plenty of original attractions that have fallen flat on their faces too; I don't think anyone's going to cry if Mission: Space gets the boot.

It's nice to have these unique, original ideas for park attractions & it's definitely an issue that the US park haven't received a new one in 17 years. But if an IP attraction is high quality then I don't think it matters all too much.

I think the real issue is that there's been a lot of recent attractions that are just "alright". There's been a heavy reliance on screens & those will never be better than physical sets/animatronics. It just so happens that these attractions are all IP based, so it's easy to compare something mid like Mickey's Runaway Railroad to Haunted Mansion & then blame the huge gap in quality on the usage of IP.
I will be upset if Mission Space gets the boot. I may be finally getting my post COVID trip this fall, and plan to ride it many times (though I will do so alone as no one will ride with me)

The Rocketeer

I like Mission Space alright, it is just a worse attraction compared to what was in its place before. A similar problem happened with Stitch. Alien Encounter was definitely the better attraction story wise. But it wasn’t popular with the average guest just like Horizons towards the end of its existence. Mission Space probably has just as much popularity now as Horizons did in its final years though. While I enjoy a ride on it every few years, I am surprised it still exists in its same form, more or less, after 20 years.

Also I prefer BLSRS over TSMM, but that’s probably because Buzz Lightyear was my favorite character as a kid and I have fond memories of riding it with my dad, I’ve only done the latter a few times because it was so popular for years that you basically had to rope drop it or wait 2 hours to ride it and while it’s a fun ride, it’s not worth that. The “new” theater and SDD alleviated a lot of that. Buzz could definitely be something else, but Disney needs to address MILF and SGE first and none of them seem to be a priority for them. Buzz gets pretty sizable wait times nowadays anyway, but that could be partly due to downtime on other attractions.

Bocabear

I remember huge lines for Alien Encounter when it opened...and for several years (many) after that. Were there complaints that it was too scary for little kids? Yes, but in general, it was a great, disturbing, scary, fun attraction that was changed because toddlers and small children didn't like it...and mostly because parents disregarded the warning signs. I don't care for Enchanting Tales with Belle and Casey JR Water play area and diaper wash...I know a lot of adults that don't like them, so can we get them shut down? lol
Having the Alien Encounter attraction in the park was a great balance point...something edgy in the lineup... Not every attraction appeals to every person...So if there was ONE edgy attraction that was solidly early teen and older a bad thing? Absolutely not...It should have remained in it's original format. I am hoping they can come up with something to replace it that is equally engaging for adults and not just the toddler-10 year old set.

FigmentFan82

I remember huge lines for Alien Encounter when it opened...and for several years (many) after that. Were there complaints that it was too scary for little kids? Yes, but in general, it was a great, disturbing, scary, fun attraction that was changed because toddlers and small children didn't like it...and mostly because parents disregarded the warning signs. I don't care for Enchanting Tales with Belle and Casey JR Water play area and diaper wash...I know a lot of adults that don't like them, so can we get them shut down? lol
Having the Alien Encounter attraction in the park was a great balance point...something edgy in the lineup... Not every attraction appeals to every person...So if there was ONE edgy attraction that was solidly early teen and older a bad thing? Absolutely not...It should have remained in it's original format. I am hoping they can come up with something to replace it that is equally engaging for adults and not just the toddler-10 year old set.
Agree.

Maybe the "who-knows-if-it-will-ever-happen" Villains Land could be the older crowd area?

Something should go in Stitch though

James Alucobond

I didn’t have a problem with Alien Encounter, but I can also see the logic behind making Magic Kingdom the generally more “inviting” and safe park. Hollywood Studios is likely the superior venue for anything remotely horror-related.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom