Trip Report An Orlando Move and some Disney Fun!

Hi all!
I'm just back from another crazy great family adventure!!
This time the trip wasn't just for fun but to help my son Seth move to Orlando!
Yep, he and his partner decided they had enough of New York and chose to move almost as far south as possible.
Jake was a Special Effects Artist but decided to answer the call from Disney and got a job in the College Program that he hopes will swing to a permanent position. Seth works as a Game Development Artist and as he works remotely, was ready and able to get out of Dodge, I mean NY!

The travelers include me and Seth. (Gary wasn't up for the trip).
Oh, and I almost forgot, Satan the Cat, otherwise actually known as Athens.
Tell me he doesn't look like a Satan.
IMG_4401.JPG

This cat and his antics during the move increased our stress from probably a 5 to an 8.5. :cautious:

I left Pittsburgh May 17th to drive a Budget Cargo Van to Brooklyn.
IMG_4320.JPG

To me the most obvious question would be, "why are you driving a big honkin van an extra 400 miles?" Well that's because no one in NY would promise me this size of a van. I was told it could be bigger, and that's a big ole hell no. So off I went.

The first part of this trip report is the crazy of the move and you are welcome to scroll past to "skip to the good part". But, if you want to get a few laughs hang around during the first part. It was so much fun I would like to do it again next week!

And before I end this post I would like to thank @cgersic and @Zipadeelady for all of their Orlando move advice, and @Darstarr for her multiple offers of help on the NY end. (I couldn't take her up on them because she would have seen in person not just via txt what a hot mess my life is)! @Tuvalu and @riverside offered moral support and some helpful travel hints during the trip!

Last edited:

Zipadeelady

Hi all!
I'm just back from another crazy great family adventure!!
This time the trip wasn't just for fun but to help my son Seth move to Orlando!
Yep, he and his partner decided they had enough of New York and chose to move almost as far south as possible.
Jake was a Special Effects Artist but decided to answer the call from Disney and got a job in the College Program that he hopes will swing to a permanent position. Seth works as a Game Development Artist and as he works remotely, was ready and able to get out of Dodge, I mean NY!

The travelers include me and Seth. (Gary wasn't up for the trip).
Oh, and I almost forgot, Satan the Cat, otherwise actually known as Athens.
Tell me he doesn't look like a Satan.
View attachment 719030
This cat and his antics during the move increased our stress from probably a 5 to an 8.5. :cautious:

I left Pittsburgh May 17th to drive a Budget Cargo Van to Brooklyn.
View attachment 719027

To me the most obvious question would be, "why are you driving a big honkin van an extra 400 miles?" Well that's because no one in NY would promise me this size of a van. I was told it could be bigger, and that's a big ole hell no. So off I went.

The first part of this trip report is the crazy of the move and you are welcome to scroll past to "skip to the good part". But, if you want to get a few laughs hang around during the first part. It was so much fun I would like to do it again next week!

And before I end this post I would like to thank @cgersic and @Zipadeelady for all of their Orlando move advice, and @Darstarr for her multiple offers of help on the NY end. (I couldn't take her up on them because she would have seen in person not just via txt what a hot mess my life is)! @Tuvalu and @riverside offered moral support and some helpful travel hints during the trip!
Dang, Athens does look like Satan. :hilarious: I do finally have to admit that when you first mentioned this move the thing that scared me the most if I was in your situation was parking that van in front of Seth's apartment. I pictured you double parked running boxes back and forth from van to apartment with people screaming at you. So happy it went smoothly for you! Can wait to hear more!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
I think this was a screen shot of the fun that was getting on that bridge? Don't remember. @Darstarr?
Yup. The Verazzanno. Very big double decker bridge that connects Brooklyn and Staten Island.
I pictured you double parked running boxes back and forth from van to apartment with people screaming at you.
Me too!

I am here @MickeyCB I have just been otherwise occupied😂

Also, parallel parking is a lost art. I was the best parallel parker I know. You now hold the title!
The Best Girl GIF by Yeremia Adicipta

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Oh heck no!! The squeaking would have creeped me out but I probably never would have heard it bc I would have had a panic attack knowing there was a mouse running around in there!!
Hopefully you took the cat with you in the van??
I am so sorry, I should have been a little more descriptive. It sounded like a mouse but I'm pretty sure it was yet another of improperly functioning van parts!
I am quite impressed!!
Thank U GIF by The Drew Barrymore Show

I thought it was weirdly impressive because I hit the curb continually with my own car!

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Dang, Athens does look like Satan. :hilarious: I do finally have to admit that when you first mentioned this move the thing that scared me the most if I was in your situation was parking that van in front of Seth's apartment. I pictured you double parked running boxes back and forth from van to apartment with people screaming at you. So happy it went smoothly for you! Can wait to hear more!
That is exactly what I pictured happening too!
When we moved Seth in last year we had made an Ikea run and when we came back there were absolutley no spots. It was horrible to double park and have people honking their horns.
But, as my Philly friend in med school taught me to say, up yours buddy! Med school is a little like what sailor school must be like! 🤣

MickeyCB

Original Poster
Yup. The Verazzanno. Very big double decker bridge that connects Brooklyn and Staten Island.
I knew you would know. I was looking for your house from up there since I thought I could see Pittsburgh from the peak of that bridge!
I was going to call you but was afraid I would plummet to the waters below if I took my eyes off the road and my tightly clenched hands off of the wheel!
I am here @MickeyCB I have just been otherwise occupied😂

Also, parallel parking is a lost art. I was the best parallel parker I know. You now hold the title!
The Best Girl GIF by Yeremia Adicipta
And just where have you been woman, hmmm?!:)

And that was first timers luck right there.

MickeyCB

Original Poster
I think Athens looks like Salem from Sabrina the Teenage Witch! - (Showing my age here....😆) I also have a satan-ish cat, she's so mean my daughter named her Regina George.
Loving the trip report! So glad the first few parts went so smoothly.
Thanks for tagging along here.
I don't know that he is super mean, but definitely something wrong with his brain!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom