News Bob Iger outlines the need to transform the Walt Disney Company resulting in 7000 job losses and $5.5 billion in cost savings

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

TP2000

Read better.

Look, I don't like to brag, but I placed fairly high in a Spelling Bee in elementary school. I'm talking Top 5, and there were a dozen other kids on that stage! 🧐

I read all the articles just fine last November about Disney's looming layoffs of Californians, in that 10 day period between Chapek's announcement on November 11th and his sudden ouster on November 21st.

TP2000

I hadn’t seen any imagineering layoffs. Did I miss them?

I haven't seen those either. The job cuts the past two months seem to have been made mostly on the Burbank Studio lot, and at Disney's white collar campus in Glendale just south of the WDI campus. Plus some corporate jobs based out of New York City or Stamford, CT (ESPN).

This third round of 2,500+ layoffs that is happening this week might involve some WDI jobs. Or it might stay focused on the Studios campus in Burbank and/or the big marketing and merchandising teams in the other Glendale campus.

I'm sure if WDI lays off folks this week, the fan community will know within a day or two.

The US Labor Board still hasn't released a statement on layoffs, via a WARN Act notice of more than 100 Disney employees for the state of Florida, so whatever layoffs may have happened inside TDO and Celebration were less than 100 people.

The thousands of jobs being cut are mostly in Southern California at Disney's various sites and campuses in LA County, not Florida.

Last edited:

Trauma

Look, I don't like to brag, but I placed fairly high in a Spelling Bee in elementary school. I'm talking Top 5, and there were a dozen other kids on that stage! 🧐

I read all the articles just fine last November about Disney's looming layoffs of Californians, in that 10 day period between Chapek's announcement on November 11th and his sudden ouster on November 21st.

Prove it.

Spell: Gobbledygook

TP2000

Prove it.

Spell: Gobbledygook

I'm now laughing at myself because I had forgotten that childhood memory until I was accused of not having good reading comprehension when multiple national news outlets used the word "layoffs" in headlines about Disney last November.

I'm pretty sure I was Top 5 on that spelling bee stage. Top 4 even, perhaps. 🤔

It's a shame my dear, sweet, sainted mother is no longer here. I could call her and ask "Mom, remember that spelling bee I was in? Was I in 4th or 5th place?" and she'd instantly rattle off detailed facts from many decades ago... "You came in 4th, honey! You lost on 'obfuscation'. That snotty Judy Oleson won and thought she was so cute. Your Aunt Ingrid told me she's now been divorced twice and had to move to Tacoma!"

Serves that snotty Judy Oleson right.

CaptainAmerica

I haven't seen those either. The job cuts the past two months seem to have been made mostly on the Burbank Studio lot, and at Disney's white collar campus in Glendale just south of the WDI campus. Plus some corporate jobs based out of New York City or Stamford, CT (ESPN).

This third round of 2,500+ layoffs that is happening this week might involve some WDI jobs. Or it might stay focused on the Studios campus in Burbank and/or the big marketing and merchandising teams in the other Glendale campus.
ESPN is in Bristol, Connecticut, not Stamford. Stamford is WWE and NBC Sports.

And there are hundreds, if not thousands of Disney employees on the Bristol campus who are not ESPN or at least not exclusively ESPN. Many of the Disney/ESPN distinctions went out the window three reorgs ago.

celluloid

I'm now laughing at myself because I had forgotten that childhood memory until I was accused of not having good reading comprehension when multiple national news outlets used the word "layoffs" in headlines about Disney last November.

I'm pretty sure I was Top 5 on that spelling bee stage. Top 4 even, perhaps. 🤔

It's a shame my dear, sweet, sainted mother is no longer here. I could call her and ask "Mom, remember that spelling bee I was in? Was I in 4th or 5th place?" and she'd instantly rattle off detailed facts from many decades ago... "You came in 4th, honey! You lost on 'obfuscation'. That snotty Judy Oleson won and thought she was so cute. Your Aunt Ingrid told me she's now been divorced twice and had to move to Tacoma!"

Serves that snotty Judy Oleson right.
Stupid Judy. Stupid obfuscation.

TP2000

The cuts were not just in Cali entire teams at Team Disney and Maingate are also gone.

I'm sure there were at least some layoffs in Florida. But they number less than 100 people total in Florida.

If Disney had laid off more than 100 people in the state of Florida, across multiple sites or all at one site, Disney would have had to file a WARN Act notice with the Department of Labor for Florida. Disney has not filed a WARN Act notice for Florida layoffs in 2022 or 2023.

TP2000

This can't be a fun week in Burbank. Thousands more being walked out, and the stock price is doing this throughout... 🫤

Wednesday.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom