Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

CAV

The conspiracy theorist in me says they artificially publish wait times and try different rates. Then they determine "the curve" at which they can maximize profits at a given price.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The conspiracy theorist in me says they artificially publish wait times and try different rates. Then they determine "the curve" at which they can maximize profits at a given price.
There's a lot of data science going on. They employ a team to handle this and there seems to be a lot of testing going on at pricing levels.

G00fyDad

There's a lot of data science going on. They employ a team to handle this and there seems to be a lot of testing going on at pricing levels.
Meanwhile the team handling this....
Monkeys.jpg

Ripken10

I’d guess they’re testing the price people are willing to pay on lower attended days.
testing the profit. How many people out there will buy it no matter what the cost, and at what price point will they still make a greater profit despite less people buying it

bmr1591

I hope they remember to adjust for how many people get so disgusted they don’t return.

Very few people look at Genie+ prices and base their decision to return or not to return solely on them. There are certainly people who go to Disney and choose not to come back, but it’s for a lot of reasons, not Genie+ specifically.

aladdin2007

Maybe someone here can help me out, so my friend and I she bought the lightning lane for cosmic rewind for the two of us.
But she did not buy genieplus. If she had bought genie then lightning lane would not have been included in that right?
If she just bought genie instead, we would have been able to pick two other non lightning lane rides in the park that day for a certain extra cost on top of the genie cost? Is that correct? we got so confused, but all she did was the one lightning lane for the one ride. She didnt want to buy genie and then get told sorry that ride is sold out for the day etc...so you take the chance of buying genie and then possibly not getting any rides (that you want anyway) to buy or reserve?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe someone here can help me out, so my friend and I she bought the lightning lane for cosmic rewind for the two of us.
But she did not buy genieplus. If she had bought genie then lightning lane would not have been included in that right?
If she just bought genie instead, we would have been able to pick two other non lightning lane rides in the park that day for a certain extra cost on top of the genie cost? Is that correct? we got so confused, but all she did was the one lightning lane for the one ride. She didnt want to buy genie and then get told sorry that ride is sold out for the day etc...so you take the chance of buying genie and then possibly not getting any rides (that you want anyway) to buy or reserve?

Individual lightning lane vs genie plus lightning lane. Some attractions (namely the headliners for each park) are not part of Genie Plus Lightning lane and can be purchased individually if available. Genie Plus Lightning Lane selections first come, first served and can reach total allocation for the day so that none are available to reserve.

Trauma

Very few people look at Genie+ prices and base their decision to return or not to return solely on them. There are certainly people who go to Disney and choose not to come back, but it’s for a lot of reasons, not Genie+ specifically.
Yes but it’s another on a long list of reasons to not go back.

For me it’s not even the $$$ it’s just having to refresh my phone every 45 seconds to try to move up return times.

The bigger question is what will Disney do to continue G+ sales when the recession hits and the parks are far less crowded.

Will they be manipulating staffing etc to artificially drive wait times?

nickys

Premium Member
You are totally confused, and understandably. A lot of it is to do with terminology.

Think of Genie as part of the Disney app. It’s free. Forget about it.

You can buy Genie+ which lets you book rides in each park. Those are called Lightning Lanes - LLs.

In each park there is one ride, 2 in MK for which you can buy an Individual Lightning Lane or ILL. That’s what your friend bought you both. You can buy two of those per day - which would mean either hopping or being in MK. They are not part of Genie+ The rides are
Tron & 7 dwarves mine train in MK
Guardians (Cosmic Rewind) in Epcot
Rise of the Resistance in DHS
Flight of Passage in AK

So you can buy Genie+ and book several rides that day, like Soarin, Test Track, Remy etc.

Separately you can book up to 2 ILLs, as you did for Cosmic Rewind, whether or not you bought Genie+

aladdin2007

You are totally confused, and understandably. A lot of it is to do with terminology.

Think of Genie as part of the Disney app. It’s free. Forget about it.

You can buy Genie+ which lets you book rides in each park. Those are called Lightning Lanes - LLs.

In each park there is one ride, 2 in MK for which you can buy an Individual Lightning Lane or ILL. That’s what your friend bought you both. You can buy two of those per day - which would mean either hopping or being in MK. They are not part of Genie+ The rides are
Tron & 7 dwarves mine train in MK
Guardians (Cosmic Rewind) in Epcot
Rise of the Resistance in DHS
Flight of Passage in AK

So you can buy Genie+ and book several rides that day, like Soarin, Test Track, Remy etc.

Separately you can book up to 2 ILLs, as you did for Cosmic Rewind, whether or not you bought Genie+
thanks, so that part is what I was guessing was probably correct. Next time we can skip doing the LL, and just pick other things under genie. The problem was that morning when we looked at return times there was nothing available, that we wanted like Remy until that night, and we werent going to be there at night. So she didnt want to buy genie and then be stuck not finding anything and or something that didnt conflict with the LL time we already had that day etc etc...we so yearn for the old fastpass system.

Patcheslee

You know, I didn't realize how much we spent on Genie + until we got home and I looked at our statement. Yikes.
Maybe they are on to something with the 7am system - I would hear my alarm, reach for phone, buy Genie +, book whatever we planned and go back to bed. All in a fog. 😄

I think ours was about $18 for most of the trip. We purchased 2 ILLs - Tron and Guardians - and honestly didn't even look at the price.
Based on high and lows on everything our spending will be between $620 and $1250 for June. Personally don't like the large variation of "could be"

dreday3

Based on high and lows on everything our spending will be between $620 and $1250 for June. Personally don't like the large variation of "could be"

Yes it's definitely annoying, especially if you are on a tight budget. An extra $500 can put a big dent in some people's vacation fund allotment.

We were lucky as it stayed pretty steady for our trip. But we blew our budget on souvenirs this time, which we NEVER do. Some good stuff this time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom