News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

JohnD

The meeting notes say the session was called to address a few districts. Which I wouldn't be surprised to see them argue RDIC wasn't singled out. What Disney will have to argue is their Board selection was changed, while the others stayed as they were.View attachment 713011
That special session was specifically called to address Congressional districts. Due to "germaneness", special districts created before the 1968 FL Constitution were added. Let's be honest. The entire point was to repeal RCID although other special districts were swept up in the special session.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Reassuring Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Can they enact a City of Bay Lake or City of Lake Buena Vista sales tax?

Stripes

I understand there was some discussion by the board’s lawyers that Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista did not publish notice of their intent to amend the Land Development Regulations. Their basis for this determination was that the notices were not published in the meeting minutes, which is true. However, a quick search of the Orlando Sentinel’s website would’ve proved them wrong.

There are two more for the other meetings as well.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That special session was specifically called to address Congressional districts. Due to "germaneness", special districts created before the 1968 FL Constitution were added. Let's be honest. The entire point was to repeal RCID although other special districts were swept up in the special session.

Because RCID and those other districts were created prior to the 1968 Constitution.

DCBaker

Premium Member
A couple items from a new article at the WSJ.

"Some Republicans privately said Mr. DeSantis’s approach is increasingly looking like a personal vendetta and heavy-handed government intervention into the affairs of one of the state’s largest employers. Publicly, cracks are emerging.

“Disney is really acting in a way that we’d expect most free-market actors would act. Companies always push back and find a way to respond to aggressive regulation,” said Republican state Rep. Spencer Roach, who represents a district in the Fort Myers area. “I think the governor is right, but I’m not sure at this point that the public is with us, and I would urge the governor to be cautious as he goes on with this fight with Disney.”"

-----

"Disney has lately taken a low-key approach with Florida policy makers, according to people familiar with its lobbying operation. The company’s government affairs team in Tallahassee has long had lobbyists with a deep list of contacts from both political parties to advance the company’s agenda, including on environmental issues and policies related to technology regulation. The company flexed its muscle to secure a carve-out from a 2021 social-media law aimed at protecting users from censorship.

In the past, the company’s lobbyists acted as though they were in the driver’s seat on many policy issues and could be dismissive, the people said. Now, the company’s lobbyists refrain from engaging assertively with policy makers, and instead use surrogates to promote their point of view, they said.

Disney’s government affairs team in Florida didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Lawmakers who have met with the company’s lobbyists in recent weeks said their strategy amounts essentially to lying low, providing feedback on other legislation that affects the company through business associations and having fewer meetings than usual with lawmakers.

Two of Disney’s top in-house lobbyists in Florida haven’t filed any notices of appearance with the state House of Representatives—required to lobby on any issue or bill before the chamber—in 2023, according to disclosure data. In the three previous years, they together filed 91 notices of appearance."

GrumpyFan

Don't everyone celebrate just yet.
While some attorneys are saying Disney has a strong case, this one says otherwise.
Worth the short read. In short, it's a complex matter and the judge could toss out at least their first amendment claims.
In looking thru the suit, I have to wonder if Disney's lawyers felt this as well, and put the first amendment violations as causes number 4 and 5, thinking they might have a lesser chance.

seascape

Don't everyone celebrate just yet.
While some attorneys are saying Disney has a strong case, this one says otherwise.
Worth the short read. In short, it's a complex matter and the judge could toss out at least their first amendment claims.
In looking thru the suit, I have to wonder if Disney's lawyers felt this as well, and put the first amendment violations as causes number 4 and 5, thinking they might have a lesser chance.

That is why Florida does have a chance of winning on the first bill. However the February 2023 bill is not just ending RCID it is mean, evil, vindictive and designed to hurt Disney. Florida has no chance of winning on that one. Then who gets hurt, the 2 counties and DeSantis because the second the court rules the February bill unconstitutional the bonds are no longer Disney's responsibly if the first bill is allowed. Further, Disney also wins because they will be under the 2 counties jurisdiction and not the States dictatorial BS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom