News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

EPCOT-O.G.

I still think a Halloween Town would be cooler than a Villains Land. But if we HAD to go with the Villains Land idea, an Oogie Boogie ride has potential (maybe a flat ride based on his giant roulette wheel?).
I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive, and as a matter of fact, like the idea of a town within the land.

ANBC presence in WDW would be great, especially since it’s in DL like five months out of the year.

SplashJacket

Cosmic Rewind and Tron are stand-alones…
Exactly. A Villain’s Land wouldn’t even be single IP.

As for a mini-land like Encanto, as a Colombian, if they’re building a ride, they need to give me a Colombian restaurant across the street.

That said, Orlando (and south Florida as a whole) has absolutely and plentiful delicious Colombian food, so absolutely recommend, especially La Bandeja Paisa on John Young Pkwy and its delicious bakery nearby if you have a car and some extra time.

Personally, I’m not the largest fan of Colombian empanadas (like the ones sold in the restaurant) but some utterly fantastic ones are sold in the bakery.

FigmentFan82

Exactly. A Villain’s Land wouldn’t even be single IP.

As for a mini-land like Encanto, as a Colombian, if they’re building a ride, they need to give me a Colombian restaurant across the street.

That said, Orlando (and south Florida as a whole) has absolutely and plentiful delicious Colombian food, so absolutely recommend, especially La Bandeja Paisa on John Young Pkwy and its delicious bakery nearby if you have a car and some extra time.

Personally, I’m not the largest fan of Colombian empanadas (like the ones sold in the restaurant) but some utterly fantastic ones are sold in the bakery.
Actually the food aspect alone is a very good idea for these proposed mini lands. Would help MK a lot in that department if even 1 was table serve and one was quick serve

tanc

An attraction of walking through the woods and encountering the headless horseman would be top tier. Although since they changed Snow White's Scary Adventures, that will never happen. HH is such an incredible antagonist with so much potential.

Another one is the Horned King from the Black Cauldron. Sometimes I wish the mystery tour in Tokyo was still around.

Sir_Cliff

So a coco / encanto hispanicland would be overall more popular than a villiansland?
Red Flag Nascar GIF by Richard Childress Racing

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I didn’t say people didn’t like it, but if you think that deserves a land before some other Disney movies or would be more popular than a villiansland you’re wrong
But … there is no proposal for an “Encantoland” or “Cocoland”. There is a proposal for an area that would be fitting for Latin American-centering IP or even non-IP attractions of that aesthetic (not that that’s ever happening again) beyond the American Southwest that Big Thunder Mountain represents. It could host any number of things. I don’t remember people accusing New Fantasyland of being Bellewood or whatever. Not sure why this is all that different.

BlakeW39

Maybe I'm crazy, but Villains Land seems like the most original idea we've had in a Domestic Disney theme park in a very long time. I guess since Everest? Might be wishful thinking, but maybe it's a sign that Disney could start bringing fresher and more original ideas to their parks soon.

I mean I know franchise tie-ins and synergy will always be a part of Disney's parks, but Disney will surely have to create something new again, eventually. I mean eventually they'll have to start making new films again at least, they only have so many from 30 years ago they can remake...

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
But … there is no proposal for an “Encantoland” or “Cocoland”. There is a proposal for an area that would be fitting for Latin American-centering IP or even non-IP attractions of that aesthetic (not that that’s ever happening again) beyond the American Southwest that Big Thunder Mountain represents. It could host any number of things. I don’t remember people accusing New Fantasyland of being Bellewood or whatever. Not sure why this is all that different.
I have my theories but I’ll stay quiet

MagicHappens1971

Maybe I'm crazy, but Villains Land seems like the most original idea we've had in a Domestic Disney theme park in a very long time. I guess since Everest? Might be wishful thinking, but maybe it's a sign that Disney could start bringing fresher and more original ideas to their parks soon.
While I love and hope for Villains Land, it's not really original. It's a way to tie in multiple IPs, and further the Villains "franchise".
I mean I know franchise tie-ins and synergy will always be a part of Disney's parks, but Disney will surely have to create something new again, eventually. I mean eventually have to start making to films again at least, they only have so many from the 30 years ago they can remake...
Disney is creating new and remaking the old, for example, the new films Coco & Encanto that many in this thread are protesting against getting attractions.

BlakeW39

While I love and hope for Villains Land, it's not really original. It's a way to tie in multiple IPs, and further the Villains "franchise".

Disney is creating new and remaking the old, for example, the new films Coco & Encanto that many in this thread are protesting against getting attractions.

I mean, I agree that Villains Land isn't a completely original idea, but it also isn't a specific location that is just replicated 1:1 from some film or television series. So the premise of the land will likely be at least partly original, some new fictional land where all of Disney's greatest villains reside.

And I kind of disagree with your latter points. Right now, Disney is only creating new IP in their animated film divisions. In the parks, live action film studios, etc. Disney is pretty much exclusively trying to leverage extisting IP. I have doubts the company can sustain itself long term with this strategy. And I think many divisions of the company will suffer if they continue it. Lucas Film, Marvel, Live Action Remakes, like all things in life have a limited lifetime. They're already starting to lose a lot of interest from consumers. Once those franchises use up their last bit of consumer interest, they have to move on to something else, and it'll have to be something new that Disney creates.

Creation of IP is important part of any entertainment company. That includes the parks, in my opinion. Current, Iger-Disney wouldn't create anything new in the parks, but I reject the notion that there is no economic value in creating new IPs for the parks and therefore we'll never see anything new again. Maybe it'll be a while, but eventually I think original attractions could start popping up.

Last edited:

Villains0501

I mean, I agree that Villains Land isn't a completely original idea, but it also isn't a specific location that is just replicated 1:1 from some film or television series. So the premise of the land will likely be at least partly original, some new fictional land where all of Disney's greatest villains reside.

I feel like it could easily be one of the most exciting, totally blue-sky concepts in recent memory. Aside from the characters themselves, there's nothing else about this concept that's really an easy given -- what would the ride vehicles be like? The restaurants? The shops? There's no real template here -- even unlike something like Star Wars, which has distinctive locales, modes of transport, place-setting, cuisine even. This Villain land would be completely new, never-before-seen, just amazing...hopefully.

Obviously likely drawing inspo from Diagon Alley, and very likely from the new Universal Monster land in EU -- but still a total blank page, blue sky for Imagineering. I hope they really run with it!

MagicHappens1971

And I kind of disagree with your latter points. Right now, Disney is only creating new IP in their animated film divisions. In the parks, live action film studios, etc. Disney is pretty much exclusively trying to leverage extisting IP. I have doubts the company can sustain itself long term with this strategy. And I think many divisions of the company will suffer if they continue it. Lucas Film, Marvel, Live Action Remakes, like all things in life have a limited lifetime. They're already starting to lose a lot of interest from consumers. Once those franchises use up their last bit of consumer interest, they have to move on to something else, and it'll have to be something new that Disney creates.
While I agree that creating new IP's is an important part of an entertainment company, it's not black and white. Yes, Disney should continue to create new IPs across all of their entertainment divisions, they are leveraging their existing IP's into franchises.

The MCU is an interconnected franchise that relies on existing IP's, whether it be its comic origins, or new twists on existing characters. And some of the newest MCU projects haven't been the best, I don't think interest in the franchise is dying.

Star Wars can continue to exist forever, and it has existed for nearly 50 years. While the sequel trilogy was handled poorly, shows like Mando, Obi-Wan, and Andor have received praise, and is an example of how to do Star Wars right. I think they are using Disney+ to experiment with Star Wars as they plan for a theatrical return. And to argue your same point, I would say shows like Mando & Obi-Wan have reinvigorated the consumer interest that may have been dwindling.

As for creating unique IP's for the parks, IMO, it's futile, and not the best business decision. Synergy is the bedrock of Disney and its parks, and while some may disagree but executing great attractions based on existing IP is a better business decision than creating new ones for the parks. The only way I can see them creating new IP's for the parks is if they were to leverage those new IP's into either films/shows.

I could probably write a thesis paper on IP in the parks and the business logic behind it, but to summarize, and in short: I would say the vast majority of Disney Park guests would prefer IP-infused attractions rather than original ones. Similarly, I would say that Disney prefers IP-infused attractions as 1)it's "more relevant, more timeless, more Disney" and 2) Visiting Galaxy's Edge or riding Frozen Ever After sparks renewed interest in those characters and stories and leads to more merchandise sales, and streaming/Disney+ subscriptions.

BlakeW39

While I agree that creating new IP's is an important part of an entertainment company, it's not black and white. Yes, Disney should continue to create new IPs across all of their entertainment divisions, they are leveraging their existing IP's into franchises.

The MCU is an interconnected franchise that relies on existing IP's, whether it be its comic origins, or new twists on existing characters. And some of the newest MCU projects haven't been the best, I don't think interest in the franchise is dying.

Star Wars can continue to exist forever, and it has existed for nearly 50 years. While the sequel trilogy was handled poorly, shows like Mando, Obi-Wan, and Andor have received praise, and is an example of how to do Star Wars right. I think they are using Disney+ to experiment with Star Wars as they plan for a theatrical return. And to argue your same point, I would say shows like Mando & Obi-Wan have reinvigorated the consumer interest that may have been dwindling.

As for creating unique IP's for the parks, IMO, it's futile, and not the best business decision. Synergy is the bedrock of Disney and its parks, and while some may disagree but executing great attractions based on existing IP is a better business decision than creating new ones for the parks. The only way I can see them creating new IP's for the parks is if they were to leverage those new IP's into either films/shows.

I could probably write a thesis paper on IP in the parks and the business logic behind it, but to summarize, and in short: I would say the vast majority of Disney Park guests would prefer IP-infused attractions rather than original ones. Similarly, I would say that Disney prefers IP-infused attractions as 1)it's "more relevant, more timeless, more Disney" and 2) Visiting Galaxy's Edge or riding Frozen Ever After sparks renewed interest in those characters and stories and leads to more merchandise sales, and streaming/Disney+ subscriptions.

I don't think my original statements were black-and-white.

I mean you say creating new IPs is an important for any entertainment company, but then you go on to say that creating any new IPs for the parks is futile and not a good business decision..

I mean, yes I agree there are advantages to using established, popular IPs in the parks. But surely there are also advantages to creating new IPs in the parks as well. Otherwise, why would new IPs ever have been created for the parks? Sure, in the past Disney had fewer IPs to choose from but they're still restricted now, despite the often-held belief that Disney just has an infinite library of great IPs to choose from. I mean do you really think there are no economic benefits to innovation of any kind? That all new lands and rides will be more successful if they are based on things that already exist, rather than being something completely new?

You say my argument was black and white, but at the same time you are the one who speaks in absolutes. Original IPs in the parks are a bad business decision, the vast majority of guests would prefer character/franchise tie ins. Established IPs always the better solution. I don't see how this is a particularly nuanced take, I'm sorry. I'd bet it is, like you said, not so black-and-white. There are at least some advantages that come with doing both.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom