News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Fido Chuckwagon

Mermaid ride has non-articulating, rigid plastic fish either glued to a wall or turning slightly back an forth mounted on visible sticks.

And that's in its best scene.

It is bad in so many ways.
Not every ride needs to be Rise of the Resistance. My kids love Mermaid and always have. It is. A fun ride with a decent ride time, and decent queue that eats a ton of people. Disney’s problem is that it only tries to make ROTR type rides now, and they are too expensive to mass produce.

EPCOT-O.G.

Not every ride needs to be Rise of the Resistance. My kids love Mermaid and always have. It is. A fun ride with a decent ride time, and decent queue that eats a ton of people. Disney’s problem is that it only tries to make ROTR type rides now, and they are too expensive to mass produce.
Yes. And the newer ride experiences have less CAPACITY. Great Movie Ride could push through 2400/hr, whereas MMRR does about 1660/hr. FOP does about 1500/hr, whereas ROTF (when it works) has a theoretical capacity of 1700/hr.

Pirates? Haunted Mansion? Those are workhorses.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I've found the queue to be mostly empty because people avoid it. It contains interactive windows with Sebastian that are too high up for children to see and obviously, holds up the line. Last time I went thru it, the roof was leaking.

A D-level dark omnimover needs to be appealing to adults, too. It's not a Dumbo spinner or the Goofy child's first coaster ride.

UNCgolf

It would eat a ton of people if it was actually a good ride, but that's the problem.

It has a high capacity that isn't being used because it's not good. The last two times I've been at WDW it was a walk-on (literally strolled straight through the whole queue without ever stopping), whereas rides like Pirates and Haunted Mansion had 60 minute waits.

arich35

It was my 3 year old daughters favorite ride, she wanted to ride it multiple times when we were there. Also a nice break for parents lol

Sir_Cliff

They are trying so hard to make encanto and coco more popular to Disney fans than they really are vs other ideas for sure
We do have some metrics that point to both of those films being particularly popular due to the streaming figures. While Encanto is still relatively new, it was by far the most-streamed movie in 2022 and had all the other attendant success with the music, etc. In the case of Coco, it was the twelfth most-streamed movie in the US in 2022 and was also in the top twenty the previous year. While newer Pixar films Turning Red and Luca were higher, it seems Coco is still being watched by more people on Disney+ than any of the films from the Pixar franchises like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Cars, and The Incredibles they've already brought to the parks. That suggests there's a market out there for more Coco!

I'd certainly prefer Coco to yet more Toy Story.

SpectreJordan

Even though both Coco and Encanto both technically feel like they can work in MK (given the nature of the park) and assuming they’re going to move forward with both in same way in the parks, I think Coco should go to the Mexico Pavilion and Encanto should be a candidate for MK. I’ll beat the same dead horse others have and say the boat ride in Mexico really needs the help.

Also, even though there’s magic present in both stories, I just feel like Encanto’s fits better into MK? Am I crazy? Maybe it’s just because they keep bringing up the literal “magic” over and over in the film and that just feels like a very Magic Kingdom thing to do.
Nah, I feel similarly. I'm fine with Coco coming to Magic Kingdom. But Encanto feels like it fits a lot better. I think it helps that Encanto is an animated musical that's actually from Disney's animation studio. I don't mind Pixar in Magic Kingdom, but I don't think their stuff is as natural of a fit as the mainline Disney stuff.

Sir_Cliff

Toy Story 4 plus the parks being obsessed with Toy Story meaning it is used in seemingly everything has actually made me loathe the franchise.
I really feel the same, though it's hard to know why regarding Toy Story 4. I didn't think it was a bad film, but it just seemed to finally derail the franchise to a point of zero interest for me. And I hate Forky.

threvester

We do have some metrics that point to both of those films being particularly popular due to the streaming figures. While Encanto is still relatively new, it was by far the most-streamed movie in 2022 and had all the other attendant success with the music, etc. In the case of Coco, it was the twelfth most-streamed movie in the US in 2022 and was also in the top twenty the previous year. While newer Pixar films Turning Red and Luca were higher, it seems Coco is still being watched by more people on Disney+ than any of the films from the Pixar franchises like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Cars, and The Incredibles they've already brought to the parks. That suggests there's a market out there for more Coco!

I'd certainly prefer Coco to yet more Toy Story.
Encanto has been right there to click on every time ive opened D+ since they put it on there. Absolutely has something to do with the large streaming numbers.

lazyboy97o

You’re talking about an attraction that ended up costing $150 million. That’s too expensive to mass produce and should have had a lot more to show for it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They need to get out of this silly theory that every IP needs a land built with it. It’s ok to just build single attractions like Remy
Rat exists in a themed land... the France Pavilion. And in the plaza it's in, it was built to match the movie's art style.

It wasn't dropped in a random place along Showcase Lagoon's promenade.

Brer Panther

I'd love to see Oogie Boogie get a ride. I've always been jealous of the Nightmare retheme of Haunted Mansion. A full on Nightmare ride at WDW would make me so happy.
I still think a Halloween Town would be cooler than a Villains Land. But if we HAD to go with the Villains Land idea, an Oogie Boogie ride has potential (maybe a flat ride based on his giant roulette wheel?).

Some sort of Pink Elephants on Parade ride would be cool, too.
And hopefully keep it to the really great ones, so ideally no Hans, no Bellwether, none of these silly twist villains that make little impact.
Hans, Bellwether, Robert Callaghan (I might've spelled his name wrong), and... most of the twist villains, honestly seem like they'd be hard to make attractions for anyhow. And apparently Bellwether is also going to be the main villain of the Zootopia Dinosaur retheme, so there's that too.
Maleficent 1 made $750m+ at the global BO.
It was certainly successful enough for Disney to greenlight MORE live action remakes (refresh my memory, was Cruella greenlit before or after Maleficent was released?).
No, the one in California ended up costing that much after trying to fix it multiple times.
I'm still convinced that they blew most of the ride's budget on the animatronics and then had to make do with what little they had left. The "climax" might as well have just had a giant neon sign reading "SORRY, FOLKS, WE RAN OUT OF MONEY".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom