News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

yensidtlaw1969

Is that any different from adding a BatB sing a long to one park after there was already a show in another park and already a mini-land with an enhanced M&G and dining in another park?

Not really, in the sense that most people felt the Studios show should have ended with the opening of New Fantasyland. Same for Voyage of the Little Mermaid, given the ride opening at MK. But those are a *little* different because both are advertised as theatrical stage shows being performed in "Hollywood" as opposed to purporting that you've entered the world of the character, which both Journey of Water and the proposed AK expansion would. Still, the redundancy is unnecessary and smacks of some poor planning.

I don't think anyone here thinks that the BatB sing-along in the France Pavilion was a good idea.

Sometimes I imagine what it'd be like if rearranging Walt Disney World were as simple as picking up pieces on a chessboard - there are some amazing thematic opportunities that were missed simply because one thing was put in one park before another thing was put in another. All the Nemo stuff should be in one place. All the Toy Story stuff should be in another. And Beauty and the Beast, and Moana, and so on.

Make one great space that celebrates a story full-tilt instead of peppering it across the resort.

James Alucobond

Sometimes I imagine what it'd be like if rearranging Walt Disney World were as simple as picking up pieces on a chessboard - there are some amazing thematic opportunities that were missed simply because one thing was put in one park before another thing was put in another. All the Nemo stuff should be in one place. All the Toy Story stuff should be in another. And Beauty and the Beast, and Moana, and so on.

Make one great space that celebrates a story full-tilt instead of peppering it across the resort.
In practice, I'm not quite sure I'd like this. While I don't really enjoy the repetition across multiple parks, I also don't really love the direction of areas and lands being so IP-driven and laden with multiple attractions from the same property. I much prefer the variety of classic lands born from themes rather than specific properties. I suppose I don't mind that being the purview of, say, one of the parks, but yeah.

UNCgolf

In practice, I'm not quite sure I'd like this. While I don't really enjoy the repetition across multiple parks, I also don't really love the direction of areas and lands being so IP-driven and laden with multiple attractions from the same property. I much prefer the variety of classic lands born from themes rather than specific properties. I suppose I don't mind that being the purview of, say, one of the parks, but yeah.

I agree, but I didn't read it as suggesting they should all be specific lands; just that they shouldn't scatter IP across multiple parks.

Especially since they have so much unused IP to choose from (ignoring that IP shouldn't be an absolute necessity anyways).

celluloid

I agree, but I didn't read it as suggesting they should all be specific lands; just that they shouldn't scatter IP across multiple parks.

Especially since they have so much unused IP to choose from (ignoring that IP shouldn't be an absolute necessity anyways).

While same hip IP have often been scattered in parks in different formats, such as Lion King in MK and AK in the 90s, the Iger hubris is a new level. Everything added and is in the works has been directly tied to Something Iger has had success with or plans for in film in the last ten years or next four.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Not really, in the sense that most people felt the Studios show should have ended with the opening of New Fantasyland. Same for Voyage of the Little Mermaid, given the ride opening at MK. But those are a *little* different because both are advertised as theatrical stage shows being performed in "Hollywood" as opposed to purporting that you've entered the world of the character, which both Journey of Water and the proposed AK expansion would. Still, the redundancy is unnecessary and smacks of some poor planning.

I don't think anyone here thinks that the BatB sing-along in the France Pavilion was a good idea.

Hell, they could have build Pixar Place at DHS instead of the pile of garbage TSL and included Rat, Slinky, an RC track under the Slinky track, and something else to go with TSM. Nah, that’s too difficult…

They seem to focus on a single tree when they are in the middle of a forest. #ThanksBeToBob

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Was at DAK yesterday and couldn't help but think about how sad it'll be if they move forward with the Zootopia plans. I don't really care if they move forward with Moana, that will likely be more visually appealing than Chester & Hester's, and a decent ride going on the empty Primeval Whirl plot is sorely needed, but I feel dinosaurs should still be represented in the park and Dinosaur is my favorite ride in any Disney park, ever. Imagineers took the brilliant Indiana Jones EMV ride system and gave it an original story with all the conceptual camp and cheese an equal parts comedic and terrifying attraction should have. It may not have the most detailed or impressive sets, but it always sticks out in my mind as one of the most fun and exciting dark rides I've ever been on.

It's upsetting to me that Animal Kingdom still only has 8 rides (being generous and counting the train) and the best plans for the park WDI could come up with for a faux announcement at D23 was one new build (on the land of an old attraction) and 2 overlays. I could go off on a tangent here about why Zootopia doesn't belong in the park, but most of you already know why it doesn't belong and agree. While the IP choice is upsetting, why couldn't they just build new? DAK has a STUPID amount of expansion land, and while I would rather see it used for things other than Zootopia, this announcement would feel 10x less egregious if they were just planning to build a new ride and distance it from the rest of the park's visual style by hiding it in the north plot. Really praying this announcement is reworked by Destination D this fall.

Another note I'd like to add, I get an email survey from WDW every time I visit Animal Kingdom now. If you get one of these surveys, please take the time to recognize Dinosaur as an important ride worthy of preserving. As far as I know surveys like this are one of the best ways to actually let management know how we feel about the offerings in the parks, and its probably our best shot at saving this ride from the incredibly ironic fate of extinction.

Incomudro

Was at DAK yesterday and couldn't help but think about how sad it'll be if they move forward with the Zootopia plans. I don't really care if they move forward with Moana, that will likely be more visually appealing than Chester & Hester's, and a decent ride going on the empty Primeval Whirl plot is sorely needed, but I feel dinosaurs should still be represented in the park and Dinosaur is my favorite ride in any Disney park, ever. Imagineers took the brilliant Indiana Jones EMV ride system and gave it an original story with all the conceptual camp and cheese an equal parts comedic and terrifying attraction should have. It may not have the most detailed or impressive sets, but it always sticks out in my mind as one of the most fun and exciting dark rides I've ever been on.

It's upsetting to me that Animal Kingdom still only has 8 rides (being generous and counting the train) and the best plans for the park WDI could come up with for a faux announcement at D23 was one new build (on the land of an old attraction) and 2 overlays. I could go off on a tangent here about why Zootopia doesn't belong in the park, but most of you already know why it doesn't belong and agree. While the IP choice is upsetting, why couldn't they just build new? DAK has a STUPID amount of expansion land, and while I would rather see it used for things other than Zootopia, this announcement would feel 10x less egregious if they were just planning to build a new ride and distance it from the rest of the park's visual style by hiding it in the north plot. Really praying this announcement is reworked by Destination D this fall.

Another note I'd like to add, I get an email survey from WDW every time I visit Animal Kingdom now. If you get one of these surveys, please take the time to recognize Dinosaur as an important ride worthy of preserving. As far as I know surveys like this are one of the best ways to actually let management know how we feel about the offerings in the parks, and its probably our best shot at saving this ride from the incredibly ironic fate of extinction.
I agree that Dinosaur is a fantastic ride.
Love the ride system.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It would be totally ridiculous to take dinosaurs out of Animal Kingdom... On top of that, personally, Dinosaur is my favorite ride in the park. :-/

I'd be okay with them replacing Rafikis Planet Watch... Make a new train that resembles the one from the movie to take guests to Zootopia. Think of it kind of like Hogwarts Express at Uni, only it takes you to a land instead of another theme park.

Cmon, Disney....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom