Disney’s Q1 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast - Wednesday, Feb 8, 2023

Stevie Amsterdam

That doesn’t account for the financial dumpster fire that is Shanghai Disneyland. They’ve also been heavily investing in Disneyland Paris.
And rightly so, since DLP hadn’t had any real investment over the past decades with - maybe - the exception of Ratatouille. Which WDW then later cloned in Epcot.

However, I was t aware that Shanghai was such a ‘dumpster fire’ so I’ll be sure to look into that.

BrianLo

@lentesta has mentioned on two consecutive podcasts that he has heard rumblings that the annual parks budget was increased by a billion dollars shortly after fiscal year end. I could see something like that being confirmed.

"Parks", or Parks Resorts and Products? Because they more or less just committed to spending another billion on the Global Dreams cruise ship.

Stevie Amsterdam

It wasn't and isn't. Seems like wishful thinking on some people's behalf. Obviously it struggled against more recent closures, but those seem in the rearview mirror again.
That's what I thought. They faced some challenges with the covid restrictions (who hasn't?) but outside of that they seem to be very successful.

Last edited:

jpinkc

Yeah I think thats where the Bulk of the money is going now. IE Disney Cruise Lines, which I guess is part of Parks and Products?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
@lentesta has mentioned on two consecutive podcasts that he has heard rumblings that the annual parks budget was increased by a billion dollars shortly after fiscal year end. I could see something like that being confirmed.

"Parks", or Parks Resorts and Products? Because they more or less just committed to spending another billion on the Global Dreams cruise ship.

That's what I was thinking as well.

Yeah I think thats where the Bulk of the money is going now. IE Disney Cruise Lines, which I guess is part of Parks and Products?

"Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products," aka DPEP (pronounced D-pep).

1674777849856.png

I'm assuming that cruise ships are in "Domestic."

Disney just bought a new one cheaply, but added costs for retrofit bring it up to $1B.

You can see that Parks and Cruise capex went from $1.6B in 2021 to $2.7B in 2022.

Total capex for everywhere will go up another $1.7B for 2023.

Christine McCarthy at the last quarterly call:
Capital expenditures totaled nearly $5 billion in fiscal 2022, in line with our expectations, and we currently expect that capex will increase in fiscal 2023 to a total of $6.7 billion, driven by higher spend across the enterprise.

Slpy3270

The Iger-led restructuring is likely to be announced around the earnings conference date.

Layoffs are expected to be "minimal" compared to what other media companies have been dealing with.

RSoxNo1

View attachment 695056

I'm assuming that cruise ships are in "Domestic."

Disney just bought a new one cheaply, but added costs for retrofit bring it up to $1B.

You can see that Parks and Cruise capex went from $1.6B in 2021 to $2.7B in 2022.

Total capex for everywhere will go up another $1.7B for 2023.

Christine McCarthy at the last quarterly call:
Capital expenditures totaled nearly $5 billion in fiscal 2022, in line with our expectations, and we currently expect that capex will increase in fiscal 2023 to a total of $6.7 billion, driven by higher spend across the enterprise.
I would assume the cruise ships are in International. Don't they have to have a port of registry that is non-US?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom