The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
Wait, they're doing a virtual queue for the fireworks now too?

How does that work? Same as WOC? Or is it some kind of dining package special?

I hadn't heard anything about this.

Or maybe this is a joke and I'm being dense, I can't tell.

Haha not a joke I thought I read they were doing virtual queens for both but you the right it’s probably just for WOC. The fireworks viewing areas aren’t really set up for that.

Parteecia

To kids like me at the time, (and many nervous adults, I’m sure), the Pack Mules ride was a genuine thrill. It was no kiddy attraction, it was a genuine trek off into the mysterious wilds of Nature’s wonderland aboard a very large living beast. Disneyland had some real-deal experiences back then, which is also what made Knott’s so unique and gritty and wonderful.
One time the mule train came in with one empty saddle sitting on the side of a mule. They fixed it and beckoned me over to get on. I did. Most thrilling ride ever.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

I imagine the Mules for me would have been something I would have liked to be there but I never would have actually ridden (much like the canoes). I'm not generally a big fan of riding on top of animals.

Although a lot of that hesitation I feel is probably the result of reading story after story about how disagreeable the mules were, many of which probably wouldn't be as publicly available if the mules lasted longer than they did.

Phroobar

One time the mule train came in with one empty saddle sitting on the side of a mule. They fixed it and beckoned me over to get on. I did. Most thrilling ride ever.
Maybe the last rider died of dysentery?

iu

Rich T

Here’s a law I’d like to see become reality at Disney parks (especially Mk):

If you pay for a meal at a counter service restaurant—enough food and drink to require a tray—only to find there’s nowhere to sit… The meal’s on the house and you get a refund.

In other words, Disney, do not take people’s hard-earned money into your greedy mouse mitts and then expect your guests to eat on a trash can or the ground. Reduce park capacity, build better-designed spaces… anything. Fix this.

lazyboy97o

Here’s a law I’d like to see become reality at Disney parks (especially Mk):

If you pay for a meal at a counter service restaurant—enough food and drink to require a tray—only to find there’s nowhere to sit… The meal’s on the house and you get a refund.

In other words, Disney, do not take people’s hard-earned money into your greedy mouse mitts and then expect your guests to eat on a trash can or the ground. Reduce park capacity, build better-designed spaces… anything. Fix this.
My ubiquitous reminder that Magic Kingdom today has less dining capacity than 30 years ago.

This is also an issue that Universal solved over a decade ago when they first opened Three Broomsticks by only seating guests with food. They have though made this much worse by now seating people first and then largely making them mobile order. They want you to place the order while waiting but don’t tell you that, and people who did order expect to skip the line so they clog the entry trying to enter and getting made that they’re directed to a long queue.

Rich T

My ubiquitous reminder that Magic Kingdom today has less dining capacity than 30 years ago.

This is also an issue that Universal solved over a decade ago when they first opened Three Broomsticks by only seating guests with food. They have though made this much worse by now seating people first and then largely making them mobile order. They want you to place the order while waiting but don’t tell you that, and people who did order expect to skip the line so they clog the entry trying to enter and getting made that they’re directed to a long queue.
Yeah, I had a not-fun experience getting into the Leaky Cauldron the first time. There’s nothing quite like standing in a side doorway, shielding my credit card from view as I enter its number into the app.

Once I got in, the food and experience were great, and subsequent trips were a breeze, but … man, the first visit is a royal pain.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, I had a not-fun experience getting into the Leaky Cauldron the first time. There’s nothing quite like standing in a side doorway, shielding my credit card from view as I enter its number into the app.

Once I got in, the food and experience were great, and subsequent trips were a breeze, but … man, the first visit is a royal pain.
The switch to mobile has really hampered the experience of both Three Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron. I was at both within their first month and it was amazing how smooth the experience was by not having to fight to order and then for a place to sit. Leaky Cauldron improved on an already great formula by not making you wait at a crowded counter for your food. Forcing mobile ordering really messed up a great system.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The term “thesis attraction” has come up a couple times the last few days. It got me thinking, what’s Disneyland’s thesis attraction? It has to be Jungle Cruise right? It was there on opening day, had the greatest scope/ scale and showed the greatest commitment to theme. A case can be made for Frontierland in general although it’s not an attraction. Some may say the DLRR but I would disagree.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

The term “thesis attraction” has come up a couple times the last few days. It got me thinking, what’s Disneyland’s thesis attraction? It has to be Jungle Cruise right? It was there on opening day, has the greatest scope/ scale and showed the greatest commitment to theme. A case can be made for Frontierland in general although it’s not an attraction. Some may say the DLRR but I would disagree.
If I had to narrow it to one attraction? Pirates.

PiratesMansion

But Pirates wasn’t there on opening day.
I feel like a thesis attraction can adapt and change as the park does. On opening day, Jungle Cruise probably was the best fit (although I could see an argument for the train or PPF if we're going only by opening day attractions), but if you were to ask most people what attraction they think of when they think of Disneyland, I bet that Pirates would come up most often because IMO it best encapsulates everything Disney does well in one attraction.

If a thesis attraction is the ethos of a park, nothing says Disneyland to me more than Pirates.

waltography

Anastasia’s scream…😂

Love this! Reminds me of how Anastasia became a protagonist in the later Cinderella sequels.

The term “thesis attraction” has come up a couple times the last few days. It got me thinking, what’s Disneyland’s thesis attraction? It has to be Jungle Cruise right? It was there on opening day, has the greatest scope/ scale and showed the greatest commitment to theme. A case can be made for Frontierland in general although it’s not an attraction. Some may say the DLRR but I would disagree.
It didn’t open with the park but I feel “it’s a small world” is the thesis attraction of Disneyland: it captures the park’s singular charm and exemplifies the kind of aspirational unity that I think the parks reflect best.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I feel like a thesis attraction can adapt and change as the park does. On opening day, Jungle Cruise probably was the best fit (although I could see an argument for the train or PPF if we're going only by opening day attractions), but if you were to ask most people what attraction they think of when they think of Disneyland, I bet that Pirates would come up most often because IMO it best encapsulates everything Disney does well in one attraction.

If a thesis attraction is the ethos of a park, nothing says Disneyland to me more than Pirates.

I’ll admit Pirates was the first ride that came to my mind before I wrote my post but as I thought through what a thesis attraction means I ultimately had to go with Jungle Cruise. I think the only way you can choose a ride that was built 12 years after the park opened as a thesis attraction is if there was huge rebranding of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom