News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Hi, So i have a question with regards to exterior of this ride.

So is Disneyland and Magic kingdom going to have a distinct exterior with Magic kingdom getting the first concept art that was released and the recently released one was meant for Disneyland's version of the ride?
Both will have relatively similar exteriors. The main changes from Classic Splash, aside from more plants are the removal of Br’er Fox’s tree and the Briar patch, plus a new water tower.
D23-Expo-Boundless-Realm-Disneyland-Josh-DAmaro-Tianas-Bayou-Adventure-day-time-rendering-DSC_...jpg

Walt Disney World
Tianas-Bayou-Adventure-Model-at-D23-2022-Featured-Shuster.jpg

Disneyland

The original tree/boat was scrapped for two given reasons:
1. Didn't fit with the new salt mine story
2. The mountain structure supposedly couldn't support the boat and tree.
princess-frog-2-d24a0edda324446985a49aa78a2fd0a4.jpg

Attachments

• download (11).jpeg
    download (11).jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 35

Rich T

PSA: If anyone here is considering a trip soon to L.A. to ride DL’s Splash Mtn., do take a side trip to nearby Knott’s Berry Farm to ride Timber Mountain, a fantastic, historic Log Flume that greatly influenced Tony Baxters design for Splash.

Timber Mountain is wonderfully, fully themed to a working lumberjack town, from the Garner Holt AAs to the sets, authentic props, CM costumes and catchy theme song that plays in various forms throughout. It also was the first to do the enter-a-pitch-dark-cave-and-plummet-down-a-surprise-drop-into-underground-caverns thing.

And I actually think it was and still is, overall, the best log flume on Earth.

MerlinTheGoat

This always comes off as so tacky to me. It’s huge “pick me” energy, and makes both parks come off as super desperate.

Maybe try using your handles to promote your own parks, as opposed to commenting on everything Disney does.
In the pre Iger era, Disney would frequently take shots at other entertainment companies. Particularly ones they deemed lesser than them. Walt Disney created Disneyland because he felt that other theme parks had a reputation for being dirty and dilapidated, and he felt he could do it better (he was right). This continued into the Eisner era, remember the Possum Park scene in Goofy Movie? They brought it on themselves by being the first to do it.

The only reason this largely stopped under Iger is because the other companies (talking Universal specifically) have actually grown to the point where they're posing legitimate threat to some of their non castle parks. Acknowledging them validates their existence and endangers the bubble they've carefully crafted.

PSA: If anyone here is considering a trip soon to L.A. to ride DL’s Splash Mtn., do take a side trip to nearby Knott’s Berry Farm to ride Timber Mountain, a fantastic, historic Log Flume that greatly influenced Tony Baxters design for Splash.

Timber Mountain is wonderfully, fully themed to a working lumberjack town, from the Garner Holt AAs to the sets, authentic props, CM costumes and catchy theme song that plays in various forms throughout. It also was the first to do the enter-a-pitch-dark-cave-and-plummet-down-a-surprise-drop-into-underground-caverns thing.

And I actually think it was and still is, overall, the best log flume on Earth.
Timber Mountain is a great log flume and easily the second best by far. But all three variants of Splash are still superior by a significant margin. There are lapses in the quality of scenery on Timber that Splash doesn't have. There's a lot of bare unthemed flume trench seen in most other log flumes and the surrounding rockwork doesn't hold a candle to Disney's. The animatronics also aren't as good as Disney's (when Disney's actually work that is). Splash is also longer, and the music is also far better.

MerlinTheGoat

Both will have relatively similar exteriors. The main changes from Classic Splash, aside from more plants are the removal of Br’er Fox’s tree and the Briar patch, plus a new water tower.

The original tree/boat was scrapped for two given reasons:
1. Didn't fit with the new salt mine story
2. The mountain structure supposedly couldn't support the boat and tree.
I doubt it's the first one. The Salt Mine story doesn't change the fact that the exterior is still themed to a bayou. There's swamp vegetation scattered throughout, water lilies, frogs etc etc. If you look closely at the models/renders for both DL and WDW, you can also see inside the cave at the peak and spot Mama Odie's colored bottles inside it. So it still seems like it's supposed to be her home.

I don't know about the second. Has an insider stated that the structure couldn't support it? Could just as easily be them not allocating the funds to do it (or reallocating the money elsewhere in the ride (which I find an acceptable tradeoff IF the interior scenes are way better than they would have been).

My guess is they could make it work if they really wanted to though, even if required more money, time and effort to engineer a solution.

Rich T

In the pre Iger era, Disney would frequently take shots at other entertainment companies. Particularly ones they deemed lesser than them. Walt Disney created Disneyland because he felt that other theme parks had a reputation for being dirty and dilapidated, and he felt he could do it better (he was right). This continued into the Eisner era, remember the Possum Park scene in Goofy Movie? They brought it on themselves by being the first to do it.

The only reason this largely stopped under Iger is because the other companies (talking Universal specifically) have actually grown to the point where they're posing legitimate threat to some of their non castle parks. Acknowledging them validates their existence and endangers the bubble they've carefully crafted.

Timber Mountain is a great log flume and easily the second best by far. But all three variants of Splash are still superior by a significant margin. There are lapses in the quality of scenery on Timber that Splash doesn't have. There's a lot of bare unthemed flume trench seen in most other log flumes and the surrounding rockwork doesn't hold a candle to Disney's. The animatronics also aren't as good as Disney's (when Disney's actually work that is). Splash is also longer, and the music is also far better.
Where I find Timber Mountain better for me are these points: Pacing, the actual physical ride (the way the logs flow briskly and smoothly with almost no bottom-scraping or side-bumping, and the perfect amount of Splash (as in, not drenching).

And, for me, the theme. I prefer a jolly Wild West logging adventure to a colorful animal folk tale. Purely subjective.

I can’t blame anyone for putting it third after the 2 Splash Mtns. But it’ll always be my fave. :)

MerlinTheGoat

There are, or rather were, three Splash Mountains. All of which I would still consider significantly better than Timber. Tokyo is keeping their Splash (for now). I'll also be a bit optimistic and say Tiana has a decent chance of still being better than Timber too. Depends on whether what I heard about the ride turns out to be true. As good as Splash though, still supremely skeptical...

Timber is by far the best non Disney log flume. And it's not even close, I can't think of any other log flume other than Splash that has anything remotely approaching Timber's level of scenery detail and use of animatronics.

Rich T

…remember the Possum Park scene in Goofy Movie? They brought it on themselves by being the first to do it.
I always saw Possum Park as mainly a self-referential gag about the Country Bears and how non-fans react to it (In that scene, I’m Goofy and most of my family are Max. When it existed at DL, I had to bribe family members with free food to get them to go into CB with me.😄)

Once the scene moves to the actual park… then it becomes a good-natured dig at low budget family-run operations. And maybe Gatorland’s entrance. 😄

I wonder if anyone at DL or WDW has ever said “Beat it, doofus!” to a character (hopefully without the head-spinning slap 😄).

Rich T

Trailing MK by 3.5 million.
Personally, I’d pick IoA over MK in its current state… and that’s usually what I do. MK’s got decades of good memories on its side for now, but it needs to look to the future beyond Tron and Tiana and NOT take half a decade to build things.

I have observed, in and out of my family, a growing phenomenon where the teens and younger adults will split off from their group for a day at IoA while the non-coaster folks stay at Disney and… try to go on something they missed due to overcrowding the day before, I’d guess.

MerlinTheGoat

I always saw Possum Park as mainly a self-referential gag about the Country Bears and how non-fans react to it (In that scene, I’m Goofy and most of my family are Max. When it existed at DL, I had to bribe family members with free food to get them to go into CB with me.😄)

Once the scene moves to the actual park… then it becomes a good-natured dig at low budget family-run operations. And maybe Gatorland’s entrance. 😄

I wonder if anyone at DL or WDW has ever said “Beat it, doofus!” to a character (hopefully without the head-spinning slap 😄).
The park itself is what I was referring to, and it's definitely a dig at low budget roadside attractions and Chuck E Cheese like venues. Particularly how employees at those parks are miserable and unpleasant, and the attractions themselves are falling apart. There was a ton of vitriol from the people at Disney who came up with that. Hindsight has made the scene even more hilarious though, because it's now a fairly accurate portrayal of how Disney itself has managed its own parks starting in the mid-late 90s.

MerlinTheGoat

I know Disney is all about return on investment but I feel like when building a Tiana attraction they are missing out big time by not building a Tiana’s place cajun/New Orleans style table service restaurant along with a snack location that sells beignets.
Can you tell this was designed specifically for Disneyland, and WDW's is just a shoehorned in afterthought with zero rhyme or reason? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom