News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

MrPromey

How long do you think it should take to pivot the business to direct-to-consumer?
Seems like maybe they should have put their house in order before deciding to pivot a part of their business into something they expected would take nearly a half decade to stop bleeding money, eh?

Last edited:

_caleb

Seems like maybe they should have put their house in order before deciding to pivot a part of their business into something the expected would take nearly a half decade to stop bleeding money, eh?
So you’re saying Disney should have made it so they could put the parks on auto-pilot where they can do absolutely nothing and still have people coming and paying full price (and then some) for poorer service than ever?

Seems like they were optimized for this phase in the plan.

Fido Chuckwagon

Seems like maybe they should have put their house in order before deciding to pivot a part of their business into something the expected would take nearly a half decade to stop bleeding money, eh?
The other thing that people forget is that Covid was a godsend to the D+ business. It drastically increased their subscriber numbers putting them years ahead of where they thought they would be as everyone subscribed to streaming services during the lockdowns. God only knows how bad their numbers would be without Covid.

Lilofan

The other thing that people forget is that Covid was a godsend to the D+ business. It drastically increased their subscriber numbers putting them years ahead of where they thought they would be as everyone subscribed to streaming services during the lockdowns. God only knows how bad their numbers would be without Covid.
A number of business surely benefit from Covid. D+ and companies who produced toilet paper. Those sales went through the roof.

GimpYancIent

There are bad indicators about the health of the theater industry. Cineworld the parent company of Regal Theaters has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy. Regal Theaters is thus shutting down 39 of its theaters. Cinematic productions either catch the public's attention and interest or they don't. The entertaining, interesting and least controversial are the productions that are succeeding but there is a limited number of them. The viewing public will not go to theaters unless they feel it is worth their time and money. The viewing public does not care what the industry wants, the industry needs to get humble and realize it exists to provide the viewing public what they want.

MagicHappens1971

From the most recent TCS film I have seen (Avatar: The Way of Water), there’s no "Distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures" tag at the end of the movie, unlike the recent Marvel and Lucasfilm productions. The same thing apparently applies to the other post-2020 TCS films. Doesn’t sound like TCS is fully integrated into the Walt Disney Studios unit, am I right?
20th Century Films are distributed/marketed through Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, even if it’s done under the “20th Century Films” banner. Searchlight markets/releases their own films

MrPromey

So you’re saying Disney should have made it so they could put the parks on auto-pilot where they can do absolutely nothing and still have people coming and paying full price (and then some) for poorer service than ever?

Seems like they were optimized for this phase in the plan.

If this is opposite day, then sure, that's what I meant. ;)

Otherwise, if our insider is to be believed and WDW is the only major destination seeing softer bookings right now, it would suggest that no, they were not in fact in a place to put things on auto-pilot where they could do absolutely nothing and get people to keep coming with poorer service than ever.

Not without doing long-term damage to their brand for some short-term cash, anyway.

When many people can only afford to come once every half decade or less, it can take a while for the effects of rising prices with cutbacks in quality and service to be noticed* and when you are a hundred year old institution planning to be around for another hundred, you don't risk turning the source of your revenue off to you in order to make a quick buck since, surprise, surprise, it'll come back to bite you.

I hope that is what is happening here, that they are finally being punished for their anti-guest behavior in a competitive marketplace.

It's the only way things will ever improve and i don't want to have to wait until half a decade after Epic Universe has opened and my son is just about off to college for that to eventually happen.

*Heck, a decent chunk of people on this very forum haven't been in the last five years and are only going by what we're saying to decide for themselves how good things may or may not be.

Last edited:

MrPromey

A number of business surely benefit from Covid. D+ and companies who produced toilet paper. Those sales went through the roof.

I have bidets in my bathrooms and even I felt like I should have more TP on had "just in case".

Some part of me feels like big TP may have been responsible for the whole thing. :oops:

SpectreJordan

As suspected Perlmutter is a major proponent for Peltz, which makes you wonder if he's out for blood against Feige and Iger for essentially taking Marvel away from him.

Kinda shocked why Perlmutter has never bothered leaving or was fired, especially after getting embarrassed by Black Panther being a huge hit after suppressing it for so long.
He has too many Disney stocks & he's probably making tons of money, even if he doesn't have much power anymore. He's probably the worst thing to ever happen to Marvel, he should've been gone decades ago.

BrianLo

I definitely think costs would have been more contained. Chapek really pivoted D+ spending when they saw its subscriber success.

Not just in terms of way more shows, D+ was footing the bills for expensive studio releases (i.e. Soul, Luca, Turning Red, etc.) and I can't really fathom they would have done this if not for the Pandemic. It feels like they are trying to actually undo this expectation moving forward.

I actually think the peak loss would have been lower, but a few years from now we'd have a smaller and less profitable streamer.

JoeCamel

A number of business surely benefit from Covid. D+ and companies who produced toilet paper. Those sales went through the rooF
How do you sell something you can't produce more of? They run close to flat out normally, there isn't a lot of excess capacity sitting unused and if the supply lines are disrupted to the point it is not on the shelves then how does someone give them money for it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom