News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Jrb1979

It is in Canada! We have Star on Disney+ which is basically Fox central.

Watched season 1 of The Bear (FX Show) last week, loved it!
It's about the only thing that's good about any of the streaming services here. That and DAZN. Getting all NFL games for $20 a month is cheap. Outside of that we have barely any streaming that has live tv

BrianLo

Fox was bought for the European infrastructure so that D+ can be taken internationally.

Secondly, it was for controlling share of Hulu.

Thirdly, for its several TV and movie studios to make content for D+ and theatrical release.

Fourthly, for 20th Century and Searchlight to make adult and award-winning movies (which was something Disney was missing).

And finally, for its back catalogue to put on the streamers and raid its IP for future content.

Bonus: Fox Marvel was reunited with Disney Marvel; and Fox distribution rights of early Star Wars was reunited with Disney's LucasFilm distribution rights.

Bonus: Talented execs at Fox now working for Disney.

The parts of Fox that Disney doesn't need has already been sold off (sports networks) or written off (European linear channels were thrown out) or consolidated. There's nothing extraneous to sell.

Or, as Disney put it in its warring Slide Decks:

View attachment 693960

View attachment 693961

I think this bears repeating. Disney already has divested about 30 billion or a bit more of assets from their acquisition. Sky, Fox Sports, Endemol Shine and a bunch of other things that make up the pocket change.

I do think retrospectively they got an ok deal, but that was somewhat Comcast's fault. Bob actually negotiated a steal originally (as were all his previous acquisitions). We can conclusively say the whole thing was worth more than 52.4 billion Murdoch had agreed to. Simply based on the 30 billion of assets they were able to sell that clearly no one even notices or accounts as missing, apparently.

Ironically Comcast also definitely overpaid for Sky (since they recently wrote it down significantly), so Disney got some comeuppance on their price run up. We'll get a true idea of what the Hulu stake is worth in 2024.

It would do Disney some good to actually just get out in front and give a divestment number so the media can stop throwing back "71.3 billion" in their face.

The other thing Peltz seems totally off the wall with is that really the entirety of their debt is from COVID. What little debt they took on with the acquisition (a large chunk was stock) was paid back off with divestments. Disney's debt would be back to its pre-aqusition level if not for the Pandemic run up. Even still it's already returned back to pre-pandemic levels.

Jrb1979

I think this bears repeating. Disney already has divested about 30 billion or a bit more of assets from their acquisition. Sky, Fox Sports, Endemol Shine and a bunch of other things that make up the pocket change.

I do think retrospectively they got an ok deal, but that was somewhat Comcast's fault. Bob actually negotiated a steal originally (as were all his previous acquisitions). We can conclusively say the whole thing was worth more than 52.4 billion Murdoch had agreed to. Simply based on the 30 billion of assets they were able to sell that clearly no one even notices or accounts as missing, apparently.

Ironically Comcast also definitely overpaid for Sky (since they recently wrote it down significantly), so Disney got some comeuppance on their price run up. We'll get a true idea of what the Hulu stake is worth in 2024.

It would do Disney some good to actually just get out in front and give a divestment number so the media can stop throwing back "71.3 billion" in their face.

The other thing Peltz seems totally off the wall with is that really the entirety of their debt is from COVID. What little debt they took on with the acquisition (a large chunk was stock) was paid back off with divestments. Disney's debt would be back to its pre-aqusition level if not for the Pandemic run up. Even still it's already returned back to pre-pandemic levels.
If all that is true and they have little debt now. Then why are when not investing in the parks.

BrianLo

It is in Canada! We have Star on Disney+ which is basically Fox central.

Watched season 1 of The Bear (FX Show) last week, loved it!

Ha! Twinsies, I also watched it last week. The Bear was awesome.

I think a lot of people aren't just seeing the eventual finished consumer product that we already have in Canada. It's much better, well rounded product. FX is absolutely critical to the all quadrant streaming success. It's the jewel of the acquisition.

BrianLo

If all that is true and they have little debt now. Then why are when not investing in the parks.

Sorry, I meant debt is back to Pre-pandemic (2019), but not pre-Fox (2018) acquisition. The debt would have been gone by now had the pandemic not interrupted things.

Parks, Resorts and Products is investing, it's just not where most of this forum want to see it (WDW). The Cruise line is sucking up a lot of dollars and even cheapskate Chapek added another billion dollar project for cruises.

Jrb1979

Ha! Twinsies, I also watched it last week. The Bear was awesome.

I think a lot of people aren't just seeing the eventual finished consumer product that we already have in Canada. It's much better, well rounded product. FX is absolutely critical to the all quadrant streaming success. It's the jewel of the acquisition.
That sounds an awful like how they invest in the non domestic parks. It feels like Disney does more for their international business and does less for the country where the money is.

Jrb1979

Sorry, I meant debt is back to Pre-pandemic (2019), but not pre-Fox (2018) acquisition. The debt would have been gone by now had the pandemic not interrupted things.

Parks, Resorts and Products is investing, it's just not where most of this forum want to see it (WDW). The Cruise line is sucking up a lot of dollars and even cheapskate Chapek added another billion dollar project for cruises.
WDW needs it the most is why. They severely lack capacity in most parks.

BrianLo

WDW needs it the most is why. They severely lack capacity in most parks.

I do 100 percent think WDW deserves way more upcoming investment than we know about at this time. I laughed in Disney's slide deck because it's basically the one thing Peltz and the company sort of agreed on. The only thing they disagreed was about his expertise on the matter. 😂

Maybe Josh is all fluff, but he is saying the right things with his current philosophy. I don't think the chapter is closed on his legacy yet. While most people had their opinion on the D23 presentation, I felt it read like he knew he was going to be eviscerated with underinvestment so he brought a bunch of blue sky concepts. Knowing he was going to be eviscerated acknowledges he knew it was insufficient. Chapek clearly lacked awareness about what the fans would or would not like.

_caleb

Disney: “We’re temporarily going pause dividends and rely on our steady parks income while we invest heavily in a major change to our studios business.”
Fans: “Why aren’t you investing the parks?”
Investors: “Why aren’t we seeing a return on our investments?”

Stressed Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Jrb1979

I do 100 percent think WDW deserves way more upcoming investment than we know about at this time. I laughed in Disney's slide deck because it's basically the one thing Peltz and the company sort of agreed on. The only thing they disagreed was about his expertise on the matter. 😂

Maybe Josh is all fluff, but he is saying the right things with his current philosophy. I don't think the chapter is closed on his legacy yet. While most people had their opinion on the D23 presentation, I felt it read like he knew he was going to be eviscerated with underinvestment so he brought a bunch of blue sky concepts. Knowing he was going to be eviscerated acknowledges he knew it was insufficient. Chapek clearly lacked awareness about what the fans would or would not like.
IMO I don't think it changes much under Iger. They don't seem interested in WDW for some reason

MrPromey

Remember Touchstone? That was Disney’s adult division. They could revive it if they did sell 20th Century.
Revive? You mean build a brand new studio from the ground up and name it after something long gone?

I guess... or they could just rename 20th Century Studios, Touchstone.

Would that satisfy you?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Remember Touchstone? That was Disney’s adult division. They could revive it if they did sell 20th Century.
Again, they *could*... but why would they?

20th Century is a recognizable brand. Touchstone is now a bit out of touch.

We're still on this: No one in power at Disney wants to sell of former Fox studios, and therefore, they won't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom