Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
What lol. That is so odd. AE, I understand, but SGE was playful. Maybe people couldn’t fit in the seats?

Or... it just wasn't good. It was more annoying than anything. They took "mischievous Stitch" and turned it into "elementary school humor but too scary for younger kids". Kind of like what they've done with most Disney Channel shows - Here's a family, dad is a dumb dumb, mom is somewhat smarter, and the kids are really clever and funny. It's neither witty nor charming, same with SGE.

AE, for the record, was quite well done. Fit into the theme of TL '94 like a glove, good pre-show, scary but good show.

DCLcruiser

Or... it just wasn't good. It was more annoying than anything. They took "mischievous Stitch" and turned it into "elementary school humor but too scary for younger kids". Kind of like what they've done with most Disney Channel shows - Here's a family, dad is a dumb dumb, mom is somewhat smarter, and the kids are really clever and funny. It's neither witty nor charming, same with SGE.

AE, for the record, was quite well done. Fit into the theme of TL '94 like a glove, good pre-show, scary but good show.
Scary doesn’t fit, at all. I didn’t even ride HM until college hahahah.

Bocabear

AE was amazingly well done...every moment leading up to moving into the theater got more and more unsettling. It was beautifully paced, a wonderful combination of humor and fright...gorgeously packaged, wonderful soundtrack and visuals...It was in every way, a classic Disney attraction. If people heeded the warning signs for very young children, it would have been around a lot longer...I wish it was still there today!

Epcot82Guy

AE was definitely terrifying as a child - then something I really enjoyed as I got older. It really was very well designed.

I'm surprised Baymax hasn't been on the pitch list. It's the one IP I can think of where you could actually show some of the gags - as if Baymax was controling the seats. You'd still need some dark sections, but much less.

I long thought some nice exchanges would have been:
-Move Monsters Inc. to the OMD theater at Studios.
-Relocate OMD to Epcot as a showcase of Walt's ingenuity and imagination vs. just animation (as either the anchor for Dreamer's point or a replacement and expansion of the Magic Eye Theater)
-Baymax in SGE
-Expand Buzz into something larger, using MILF as the new queue.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What lol. That is so odd. AE, I understand, but SGE was playful. Maybe people couldn’t fit in the seats?
Despite all the warning of how scary it was, parents took the children on it because, it surely couldn't be scarier than Haunted Mansion, right? This is Disney and the Magic Kingdom, right?

And kids would be screaming non-stop at the top of their lungs while trapped in a seat they couldn't get out of and couldn't see their parents and something is blowing on their necks.

Just go to Bug's Life and look at the reaction when the spiders drop. Now imagine that going on for a full five minutes.

DCLcruiser

Despite all the warning of how scary it was, parents took the children on it because, it surely couldn't be scarier than Haunted Mansion, right? This is Disney and the Magic Kingdom, right?

And kids would be screaming non-stop at the top of their lungs while trapped in a seat they couldn't get out of and couldn't see their parents and something is blowing on their necks.

Just go to Bug's Life and look at the reaction when the spiders drop. Now imagine that going on for a full five minutes.
Oh, I remember AE, and I was 14 (I think?). Bugs is fine, but I get it. Especially the stinging.

SGE, was much less scary.

TwilightZone

I've only experienced Alien encounter from Martin's Vids, but it was love from first sight. Everything from the aesthetics, to the story, to the monster itself is so well done. It's one of many extinct attractions I would love to experience if I ever found a Disney parks time machine.

Everything about Stitch's great escape is a downgrade. It misses the point of the character (much like JIWF does), its too scary for children still, it's just not "disney quality". I do love the animatronic though, I hope it was put in archives and not thrown in the trash like SIR and Skippy were.

Disney Maddux

I've only experienced Alien encounter from Martin's Vids, but it was love from first sight. Everything from the aesthetics, to the story, to the monster itself is so well done. It's one of many extinct attractions I would love to experience if I ever found a Disney parks time machine.

Everything about Stitch's great escape is a downgrade. It misses the point of the character (much like JIWF does), its too scary for children still, it's just not "disney quality". I do love the animatronic though, I hope it was put in archives and not thrown in the trash like SIR and Skippy were.
AFAIK (this was quite a while ago though when I was told this), there's the left theater being used as a break room, but could still run the show if they needed it to. Meanwhile the right theater is abandoned, and broken Stitch is still just sitting there.

TwilightZone

Just thought of another way to revilitize the area that doesn't involve mass demolition.

1. Turn monsters inc into a timekeeper simulator attraction (or if Robin william's death makes it too soon, meet the robinsons)

2. Buzz becomes stitch, he has laser guns too, so you could have it take place while Stitch is still on the run. Or have it be rescuing his cousins. Want something IP free? Horizons 2, do it disney we will pay you

3. Stitch becomes a "observatory" attraction with dazzling effects to make it feel like guests are surrounded by stars

yensidtlaw1969

SGE, was much less scary.
Unfortunately, not to its intended audience.

The intention behind creating Stitch's Great Escape was basically that parents looked at Alien Encounter's warning signs and said "It's in the Magic Kingdom, it can't be THAT scary", and then proceeded to take their way-too-young kids on it only for them to dissolve into tears because it was that scary. So the idea was floated to create a version of the attraction that was more appropriate for the young children whose parents insisted on bringing them in regardless of warnings.

. . . Unfortunately, having cute and cuddly Stitch on the marquee set the expectation of scariness even lower, so children still got upset when they were suddenly stuck in the dark with a not-so-cuddly version of Stitch breathing down their neck. Even the "kiddie" version of the experience was too intense for kids just by its nature.

Rich Brownn

AE was amazingly well done...every moment leading up to moving into the theater got more and more unsettling. It was beautifully paced, a wonderful combination of humor and fright...gorgeously packaged, wonderful soundtrack and visuals...It was in every way, a classic Disney attraction. If people heeded the warning signs for very young children, it would have been around a lot longer...I wish it was still there today!
Unfortunetly unlike like Disneyland our park in Florida has gotten the "kiddie park" reputation. If AE had opened at Disneyland first, it probably would still be there

Bocabear

They could move Laugh Floor to Hollywood Studios and put a clone of that interactive Stitch Encounter show in the Laugh Floor space.

As for what to do with the Stitch's Great Escape space... I don't know.
I just don't feel like Stitch fits Tomorrowland... Alien Encounter truly did...that whole revamp of Tomorrowland was great in the beginning... We are now back to the 1970s White Tomorrowland but with strange paint schemes on the buildings that make no sense... The spectacular Gull-Wing waterfalls Entry is just a vague memory, the Sci-Fi portal and dome on the bridge are long gone and all we have now is a hoop that says Tomorrowland and some painted fake rocks... SURELY they can do better than this and bring Tomorrowland back with attractions that fit the narrative, revitalized Speedway to fit the aesthetic for the fort time in the park's history...A whole sector of the Magic Kingdom park is presently a muddled mess... they need to fix it...

Epcot82Guy

I just don't feel like Stitch fits Tomorrowland... Alien Encounter truly did...that whole revamp of Tomorrowland was great in the beginning... We are now back to the 1970s White Tomorrowland but with strange paint schemes on the buildings that make no sense... The spectacular Gull-Wing waterfalls Entry is just a vague memory, the Sci-Fi portal and dome on the bridge are long gone and all we have now is a hoop that says Tomorrowland and some painted fake rocks... SURELY they can do better than this and bring Tomorrowland back with attractions that fit the narrative, revitalized Speedway to fit the aesthetic for the fort time in the park's history...A whole sector of the Magic Kingdom park is presently a muddled mess... they need to fix it...

The lack of cohesive theme is really frustrating. We're seeing it in Studios and Epcot as well (and several resorts). It's really disappointing that understandable, consistent theme in a land and park is now something to be avoided vs. driven toward. (Ironic that in an IP-drive land, they are almost draconian for fit and consistency.)

Bocabear

The lack of cohesive theme is really frustrating. We're seeing it in Studios and Epcot as well (and several resorts). It's really disappointing that understandable, consistent theme in a land and park is now something to be avoided vs. driven toward. (Ironic that in an IP-drive land, they are almost draconian for fit and consistency.)
YES!!! While touting the importance of storytelling...as prices continue to rise, what kind of story are they telling with shuttered attractions and thematic inconsistencies? Messy storytelling, shuttered attractions, lagging construction with premium pricing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom