News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

fgmnt

There's something about the company where it just cannot develop a winning formula at the box office for animated (and non-branded live action) science fiction. Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6 are hybrids and aberrations. This has been the case my entire life, long before people abandoned any sense of living a fulfilling life to instead of logging on to a website to be an anonymous soldier in a manufactured culture war.

Strange World seemed way too high-concept and outside of what you would expect a WDAS movie to be. Seems really cool, but weird.

Casper Gutman

There's something about the company where it just cannot develop a winning formula at the box office for animated (and non-branded live action) science fiction. Wreck-It Ralph and Big Hero 6 are hybrids and aberrations. This has been the case my entire life, long before people abandoned any sense of living a fulfilling life to instead of logging on to a website to be an anonymous soldier in a manufactured culture war.

Strange World seemed way too high-concept and outside of what you would expect a WDAS movie to be. Seems really cool, but weird.
It can't be overstated what a hard sell Strange World was. No IP, no big-name lead, no stars, no easy elevator pitch. Something like Big Hero Six - which isn't anything close to pure sci-fi - had the Marvel name, an insanely distinct and toyetic star in Baymax, and links to the red hot superhero genre.

RobWDW1971

It can't be overstated what a hard sell Strange World was. No IP, no big-name lead, no stars, no easy elevator pitch. Something like Big Hero Six - which isn't anything close to pure sci-fi - had the Marvel name, an insanely distinct and toyetic star in Baymax, and links to the red hot superhero genre.
I know, kind of like Wall-E. Oh wait...

correcaminos

Considering Strange World will be lucky to hit 30 million over the extended weekend they might want to start catering a little bit more to all those “awful people”.
Nope, if they cater to small groups it will be worse.

They did a lousy job of advertising this. Honestly I had no clue it existed until this thread. That is the problem.

If you think moms are talking, you're way off base. I don't even know what is objectionable about this movie and if you personally have issues with any subjects I actually suggest you figure out why. The majority doesn't care.

James Alucobond

I don't have cable TV. I don't watch "regular channels" like ABC, NBC or CBS. I also don't watch TDC or any kid channels. So i must have missed it. I've seen zero commercials for it no joke.
They're definitely out there, but the ones I see seem inexplicably lazily assembled. Like, literal moments of footage with no real hint to the overarching narrative and a voiceover that tells you to watch it because it's from Disney.

correcaminos

I saw a large display at AMC couple weeks ago.
I haven't been near a movie theater lately. Not many near me.

I did watch the preview on D+ (only been watching Andor lately and didn't even see that earlier) and it looks cute. Not enough to go to a theater for though.

They're definitely out there, but the ones I see seem inexplicably lazily assembled. Like, literal moments of footage with no real hint to the overarching narrative and a voiceover that tells you to watch it because it's from Disney.
I believe they are. But obviously not reaching me for whatever reason. I see way too many St Jude and WWF ads

fgmnt

Wow, one success... with the Pixar name at the height of its power and an incredibly toyetic star.
I don't think I'm speaking out of turn saying WALL-E releasing in 2022 would not do as well as its actual release in 2008. Pre-COVID, pre-Good Dinosaur, pre-Cars 2 and sequelmania...

RobWDW1971

This "no marketing" for SW is becoming the latest ridiculous myth. Here in LA, there are billboards, bus shelters, ads on multiple channels throughout this weekend (Disney owned and others), theater chain emails, social media, trailers before BP, etc.

There is broad marketing support for this title.

The suggestion that Disney launched a $180M tentpole movie in over 4,000 theaters over a holiday weekend without any marketing support may be one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever heard.

Now, did Disney test screen it and realize they have a complete disaster on their hands and pull back some spend? Absolutely, but to pretend this release is not supported by a marketing campaign is just rationalizing a complete audience rejection of the title.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

This "no marketing" for SW is becoming the latest ridiculous myth. Here in LA, there are billboards, bus shelters, ads on multiple channels throughout this weekend (Disney owned and others), theater chain emails, social media, trailers before BP, etc.
Zero signs of it in Florida. Nor have I even spotted anything within the borders of Disney World.

DCLcruiser

Zero signs of it in Florida. Nor have I even spotted anything within the borders of Disney World.
I guess, why spend money on an audience who is already aware and going to see it? They spend money to market to new customers.

I see SW on tv/online all the time.

But, even ads only do so much. I saw John Carter taxi/sign ads all over NYC, and it flopped bc they didn’t explain what John Carter was properly. (I liked it)

correcaminos

Well at least I have met the official spokesperson for Moms in America. I guess the women I have heard talking are no longer mothers.

Disney did a poor job marketing this for a reason. They didn’t suddenly forget how to market.

I’m done arguing this anyways.

Capitalism will sort this out in the end.

I’m sure Disney will keep catering to your imaginary majority. Like the .05% of the U.S. population that went to see Strange World.
Just not for "One Million" of them. I never took you to be this extreme in your feelings so this is shocking to read. I'm not sure Disney is for you if you're this far that way.

There is broad marketing support for this title.

Now, did Disney test screen it and realize they have a complete disaster on their hands and pull back some spend? Absolutely, but to pretend this release is not supported by a marketing campaign is just rationalizing a complete audience rejection of the title.
Not a myth on my part. A reality here. I'm in a large enough city and no billboards. Those seem to be local only. They absolutely did miss me in the advertising and if it weren't for reading I'd have no clue it was a movie. Such a shame too. I think my kid will like it. But the result is it likely will be another Atlantis.

DCLcruiser

We also group chat that gets around super fast ;)

And I said I don't watch ABC or regular channels like that. No Hulu here (no need with YTTV), only D+ only Disney social I follow is Tik Tok. Nada there. As I said they missed me. Pity too.
Ditch the surveillance social media and use Instagram. I don’t think SW is a dance routine heavy movie so TT isn’t the audience.

correcaminos

Ditch the surveillance social media and use Instagram. I don’t think SW is a dance routine heavy movie so TT isn’t the audience.
I always forget IG. I mean for me personally. Which is funny, because I use it to advertise in work all the time. I don't look much myself but good thought, maybe I'll add them to mine and check in my 1x a week look. The TT videos are all over the place and I enjoy that. They also break some news there quicker than some other methods I've seen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom