News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

fgmnt

Chapek is 100% out. If he's no longer CEO (and he isn't) then he's no longer with Disney.

This is obviously a short-term move, though. Iger is in his 70s. I wonder if they already have a succession plan in place as part of bringing him back as CEO.
You have to imagine that it is probably through the end of FY2024, with a decision to promote D'Amaro or go external to be made apparent a year from now.

Will any insiders cop to knowing about this before the email came out? I cannot piece this together in my head how it just dropped like this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
He was fired.

I'm sure he officially "stepped down", but that only happened because the board forced it. He didn't just randomly decide to stop being CEO.

Timing is interesting... so I don't think it's a direct 'you failed, so you're fired'... this almost sounds like a 'situation' scenario. Something blew up.. and the board had to react on very short notice. I mean, how else does this go down on a Sunday night the week before thanksgiving without a peep before hand?

I wonder if there was some new mandate that BC was given that he just flipped his table over? I would be shocked that the board would move on such odd timing if it were just performance related.

UNCgolf

You have to imagine that it is probably through the end of FY2024, with a decision to promote D'Amaro or go external to be made apparent a year from now.

Will any insiders cop to knowing about this before the email came out? I cannot piece this together in my head how it just dropped like this.

Yeah, I think that timeline sounds right.

Also sounds like Jim Cramer may have had some inside info after all.

ULPO46

The damage is done though it’s going to take years for Disney to recover it’s image with its consumers and public not to mention all the cast members across the company. In a sense we still have Imagineering moving to Orlando full time. Might finally get the budget to build a response to Epic Universe but this is the guy who put the chess pieces in the hands of Chapek. Not happy with the news because it’s just going to be the same old same old of uncertainty. I see him here a year before they can find a real legitimate replacement. Imagine had they done this with Eisner.

_caleb

Exactly. Iger created this mess by picked Chapek in the first place after spending years not creating a succession plan so he could play the reluctant leader. This is good for Iger who really gets to drive home that narrative but it’s not good for anyone else.
You don’t think Iger’s going to style himself as the anti-Chapek now? I think he will. I also think he’s trying to figure out what he wants to be remembered for, and at this stage of his life is more likely to look at big-picture than short-term gains.

But maybe that’s just wishful thinking.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Correct me it I'm wrong, but it seems highly unusual that a major move like this would happen on a Sunday night? Doesn't that seem to mean that something blew up internally that we are not yet privy to that caused the board to have to move immediately?
Stock bump on Monday?

UNCgolf

Timing is interesting... so I don't think it's a direct 'you failed, so you're fired'... this almost sounds like a 'situation' scenario. Something blew up.. and the board had to react on very short notice. I mean, how else does this go down on a Sunday night the week before thanksgiving without a peep before hand?

I wonder if there was some new mandate that BC was given that he just flipped his table over? I would be shocked that the board would move on such odd timing if it were just performance related.

I'm wondering if it came from Iger; if he's been pushing the other board members and they finally caved.

Captain Neo

Correct me it I'm wrong, but it seems highly unusual that a major move like this would happen on a Sunday night? Doesn't that seem to mean that something blew up internally that we are not yet privy to that caused the board to have to move immediately?

Could be a bit of both. This past week I think all the negative press the parks were getting from all sides (WSJ wrote a front page article, Jim Cramer called for his resignation, The Young Turks did an episode on the disney parks crumbling) just hit a critical mass on top of his other and they had to ditch him

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

You don’t think Iger’s going to style himself as the anti-Chapek now? I think he will. I also think he’s trying to figure out what he wants to be remembered for, and at this stage of his life is more likely to look at big-picture than short-term gains.

But maybe that’s just wishful thinking.
Iger’s greatest skill is getting people to just accept what he says. He can declare himself different while doing the same and people will buy it. It’s exactly what he did with Eisner.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Fire This Is Fine GIF by MOODMAN

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom