News Disney CEO Bob Chapek reiterates his belief that park reservations are now an essential part of Disney's theme parks business

Disstevefan1

The place to be on NYE in Epcot was outside China. The DJ, the flaming dragon , makeshift dance floor etc made for an intense experience.
I was at EPCOT for NYE once. Never again. Way too intense for me. But that was pre PPR. I never experienced NYE at a Disneyparks post PPR.

As much as I hate PPRs, it must result in a better experience I presume.

Oddysey

Reservation system is the primary reason I gave up my annual pass in 2020 after having them since 2004. However, Disney made it clear they don’t want my business anyway and since I have no desire to give them my business, the feeling is now sadly mutual.

Casper Gutman

It didn't cost Disney $500m to build a roller coaster in the 70s-90s.
If EU is as successful as many of us hope it will be, there's going to be pressure on Disney to make a theme-park-size addition. I agree that all of the Disney parks need several new rides, but that may not bring the splash they're going to be looking for. Besides a fifth gate means demonstrable ROI while new rides don't.

Doing both is the only real way forward, but...

(And if Uni acquires WB, the pressure on Disney to respond grows even more).

Phil12

Well…. It looks like those second rate parks are quickly becoming the 1st rate parks thanks to new coasters! :)
The old time parks using forced perspective, Pepper's ghost and other such illusions will remain popular. The new parks will use lasers with phase guide screens to make images indistinguishable from the real thing. Think how smart phones changed plain old telephone service. The reservation system will be absolutely needed because the demand will exceed the supply for many years to come. And, to a lesser degree, the new technologies will find their way into the old parks as well.

UNCgolf

If EU is as successful as many of us hope it will be, there's going to be pressure on Disney to make a theme-park-size addition. I agree that all of the Disney parks need several new rides, but that may not bring the splash they're going to be looking for. Besides a fifth gate means demonstrable ROI while new rides don't.

Doing both is the only real way forward, but...

(And if Uni acquires WB, the pressure on Disney to respond grows even more).

I don't know if building a fifth gate would provide much ROI, especially considering how much it would cost to build and the ongoing operational costs.

The other parks already lag behind MK in attendance -- are we sure a new park would really change anything? It might just lower attendance even further for the other parks without actually creating longer trips or any significant increase in overall business.

Plus, a new park under current management would probably consist of 5 or 6 attractions total.

erasure fan1

I don't know if building a fifth gate would provide much ROI, especially considering how much it would cost to build and the ongoing operational costs.
Yup. Epic U could overtake magic kingdom for attendance and Disney would still not entertain a new park. It would go against every cost cutting strategy they have.
It might just lower attendance even further for the other parks without actually creating longer trips or any significant increase in overall business.
This is exactly what would happen. A 5th gate solves zero problems in your other 3 parks. The only thing it might accomplish is selling more park hoppers. The only thing Disney might do if EU is a huge success is green light a couple things for AK and the studios. And the likely candidates are expansions for star wars and avatar.
Plus, a new park under current management would probably consist of 5 or 6 attractions total.
I would almost want them to make a 5th gate just because of this. Current management is so lacking that I would love to see just how bad a park conceived under this clown show would be. The long and short of this is that Disney is content resting on what they used to be. If Disney cared about universal, we would have already had a rebuttal from them.

UNCgolf

Yeah, just building three new (not replacement) rides at each of DAK and DHS would make each of those parks so much more enjoyable for guests. The highlights are already there, they just need more stuff to do.

Oh definitely -- even one new attraction would be a big help.

I just think they need 5-6 (if not more) to be where they actually should be.

celluloid

That’s what I thought but wasn’t sure if things had improved.

If there’s no reason to work at WDW vs. anywhere else Disney will continue having a hard time attracting employees when there is such a demand in the Orlando area.

Perhaps the biggest hit for WDW in particular is the CP reputation has not been the best over the last decade either. A slight decline. Still high numbers of course but it is not what it once was because word has gotten out that there is less promise with remaining with the company in any better capacity than before. Seasonal Employment gets better pay and such elsewhere and Covid 19really brought awareness to it and put another dent in trying to get the right functional numbers back. WDW can't function like it wants to without it.

CP did not keep up enough with the typical pay people want. So even its numbers are harder to get the die hard fans of the company line to work compared to before.

As you point out, there are simply too many other employers paying a dollar or more for hourly and more importantly, treating others a lot better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom