Disney Wish

Vegas Disney Fan

The Wish.

Nice but so many flaws. Given a choice in future I wouldn’t choose The Wish sadly.
This is something I’ve heard from several people. It’s nice and you’ll have fun but then you’ll book your next cruise on one of the older ships.

That’s gotta be a bit alarming for DCL since they’re spending billions on 2 more of the same type.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Just wondering Martin which DCL ship would you choose and why? Have only been on the Dream and loved it.
We loved the Fantasy. We would go on her again.

But the Wish… too many dead ends. Too many convoluted routes and corridors. Too much crammed in (eg Hyperspace Lounge is tiny, the high end stores take up the majority of the space). Aft elevators missing. Not all elevators go to all floors (and no way to select the higher serving cars). Elevator controls hard to use / too easy to get wrong. No main pool. Aqua Mouse is only half a water slide. Small adults only area. Stage in the atrium takes up too much room as does the massive indoor sports hall. Messy multi level promenade. Rooms narrower. Arendelle dining is a flawed experience due to poor sight lines and layout.

- Off the top of my head. Conversations on board were mostly “do you like the ship?” “It’s nice, but…”

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is something I’ve heard from several people. It’s nice and you’ll have fun but then you’ll book your next cruise on one of the older ships.

That’s gotta be a bit alarming for DCL since they’re spending billions on 2 more of the same type.
They should be alarmed. They incredibly got so many basics wrong. Even down to not using the compass cerpet scheme. Daft things like no universal type of door controls. Some you touch, some you wave at - seemingly at random. And big things like I listed above.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We loved the Fantasy. We would go on her again.

But the Wish… too many dead ends. Too many convoluted routes and corridors. Too much crammed in (eg Hyperspace Lounge is tiny, the high end stores take up the majority of the space). Aft elevators missing. Not all elevators go to all floors (and no way to select the higher serving cars). Elevator controls hard to use / too easy to get wrong. No main pool. Aqua Mouse is only half a water slide. Small adults only area. Stage in the atrium takes up too much room as does the massive indoor sports hall. Messy multi level promenade. Rooms narrower. Arendelle dining is a flawed experience due to poor sight lines and layout.

- Off the top of my head. Conversations on board were mostly “do you like the ship?” “It’s nice, but…”

It was nice, wasn't it? But... So. Many. Flaws.

I had forgotten about all the upscale shopping areas taking up a huge amount of space on deck 3. That's utterly unacceptable (to everyone except those whose name rhymes with "Rob Paycheck").

peter11435

They should be alarmed. They incredibly got so many basics wrong. Even down to not using the compass cerpet scheme. Daft things like no universal type of door controls. Some you touch, some you wave at - seemingly at random. And big things like I listed above.
I agree with some of your criticisms. Although I’ve never understood why so many people are hung up on the compass carpet. The magic and wonder didn’t have it for the first decades of their lives. It came around fleet wide when the dream and fantasy debuted. But just like Disney hotel refurbishment’s it’s only a matter of time before all of the ships get a new aesthetic in the hallways and guest rooms.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree with some of your criticisms. Although I’ve never understood why so many people are hung up on the compass carpet. The magic and wonder didn’t have it for the first decades of their lives. It came around fleet wide when the dream and fantasy debuted. But just like Disney hotel refurbishment’s it’s only a matter of time before all of the ships get a new aesthetic in the hallways and guest rooms.
The carpet is the least of their worries… but begs the question if it works why change it.

peter11435

The carpet is the least of their worries… but begs the question if it works why change it.
One could’ve said the same thing when they first debuted the compass carpet on the Dream and then rolled it out fleet wide. The original carpet on the Magic and wonder worked too. I don’t think we should be simply against change. We should focus our criticism on actual flaws such as the adult pool and excessive high end retail.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One could’ve said the same thing when they first debuted the compass carpet on the Dream and then rolled it out fleet wide. The original carpet on the Magic and wonder worked too. I don’t think we should be simply against change. We should focus our criticism on actual flaws such as the adult pool and excessive high end retail.
The carpet example was said as an aside. The design of the ship has much bigger problems. Especially since they’re going to replicate them.

As in the parks, change is only good if it is better than what it replaces.

peter11435

The carpet example was said as an aside. The design of the ship has much bigger problems. Especially since they’re going to replicate them.

As in the parks, change is only good if it is better than what it replaces.
There are much bigger problems which was my point. I don’t think we should dilute the real issues the ship has by complaining about simple changes. I would argue change is good as long as it is not worse than what it replaces. Lateral change can be acceptable.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney Dream was originally built without satellite falls. It was one of my favorite places on the Fantasy. They can make improvements where beneficial even within the same class.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Disney Dream was originally built without satellite falls. It was one of my favorite places on the Fantasy. They can make improvements where beneficial even within the same class.
I could see small tweaks, but larger flaws like the adult area, elevators, and other layout issues would require a re-design that isn't happening, at least for the Treasure ( 🤮 ).

peter11435

I could see small tweaks, but larger flaws like the adult area, elevators, and other layout issues would require a re-design that isn't happening, at least for the Treasure ( 🤮 ).
I didn’t find the elevators to be a problem 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well aside from the buttons, but that’s an easy fix

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I didn’t find the elevators to be a problem 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well aside from the buttons, but that’s an easy fix

The buttons were a big problem, hopefully the fix is indeed an easy one (get rid of the 'bio-feedback' piece, so simply being near a button doesn't activate it?). But the elevator size is a different story. Those elevators state a capacity of 20. I'd like to know in what universe they could hold 20 humans. 8 was the most I ever experienced in one, and even then it was feeling cramped. 10 felt like the most you could fit in one without sardines starting to snicker at you.

peter11435

The buttons were a big problem, hopefully the fix is indeed an easy one (get rid of the 'bio-feedback' piece, so simply being near a button doesn't activate it?). But the elevator size is a different story. Those elevators state a capacity of 20. I'd like to know in what universe they could hold 20 humans. 8 was the most I ever experienced in one, and even then it was feeling cramped. 10 felt like the most you could fit in one without sardines starting to snicker at you.
Yeah, I have no idea where they got that 20 number from because there is no way you could get that. But I didn’t find the elevators significantly smaller than on the other ships.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yeah, I have no idea where they got that 20 number from because there is no way you could get that. But I didn’t find the elevators significantly smaller than on the other ships.

It's weird - To us, a lot of things on the Wish felt a bit more narrow. Rooms. Walkways (particularly around the food on deck 11 and around Marceline Market). Stairs. Some hallways. Maybe it was an artifact from that? Maybe they felt smaller because there was no glass to look out of? I don't really know. 🤷‍♂️

peter11435

It's weird - To us, a lot of things on the Wish felt a bit more narrow. Rooms. Walkways (particularly around the food on deck 11 and around Marceline Market). Stairs. Some hallways. Maybe it was an artifact from that? Maybe they felt smaller because there was no glass to look out of? I don't really know. 🤷‍♂️
The walkways around deck 11 food and Marceline Market definitely felt narrower and problematic

Surfin' Tuna

We had to delay our earlier cruise, but none of this is making me feel optimistic. I will say that everyone I know who is a regular cruiser has echoed every one of these concerns. The only person who had a glowing review was someone who cruises about once every 10 years and was in the 2 story royal suite. I'm guessing that would alter my review as well.

I guess the good news is it gives us more time to cruise on better itineraries on the better ships.

peter11435

We had to delay our earlier cruise, but none of this is making me feel optimistic. I will say that everyone I know who is a regular cruiser has echoed every one of these concerns. The only person who had a glowing review was someone who cruises about once every 10 years and was in the 2 story royal suite. I'm guessing that would alter my review as well.

I guess the good news is it gives us more time to cruise on better itineraries on the better ships.
I’ve been on over two dozen cruises. I was not concierge and I loved the wish. Is it my favorite in the fleet, no. There are certainly some things that need to be fixed or altered but I would argue you could say that about all of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom