Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Vegas Disney Fan

After watching a ton of videos today it looks like WDW and Orlando in general did very well, the worst I’ve seen is some trees down, some minor flooding, and some torn canopies.

Ironically this makes me more likely to move to Orlando than before, I’ve debated between Tampa or Orlando but after seeing what’s happened along the coast I think Orlando looks like the better option. I always thought the gulf side was relatively protected from direct hurricane hits but Ian said otherwise.

JoeCamel

After watching a ton of videos today it looks like WDW and Orlando in general did very well, the worst I’ve seen is some trees down, some minor flooding, and some torn canopies.

Ironically this makes me more likely to move to Orlando than before, I’ve debated between Tampa or Orlando but after seeing what’s happened along the coast I think Orlando looks like the better option. I always thought the gulf side was relatively protected from direct hurricane hits but Ian said otherwise.
Last hurricane to hit Tampa was 1921 can Orlando claim that??

DCBaker

Premium Member
MCO update -

08A53776-8681-46E1-8BE9-1CAE9B733703.jpeg

JohnD

I know people want hurricane specific posts and comments here. I have WDW questions regarding the phased opening and created a thread there under Trip Planning.

Brian

Last hurricane to hit Tampa was 1921 can Orlando claim that??
No, but I'd rather get a couple "big" hurricanes a decade in Orlando than a category five hurricane in Tampa and deal with storm surge. And yes, I say that as I have no power in my Orlando-area home.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Some other updates posted -

Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon water park is temporarily closed with a planned reopening on Sunday, Oct. 2

ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex will be open from 5:00 to 8:00 pm for scheduled events.

Tour experiences scheduled for Friday, Sept. 30 at Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park will be cancelled.

Treehouse Villas at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa will be closed until Monday, Oct. 3

Transportation

Walt Disney World Transportation will begin operating as normal on Friday, Sept. 30 and is subject to weather protocols. Transportation will begin operating 30 minutes prior to Early Theme Park Entry for Disney Resort Hotel Guests and guests staying at other select hotels.

Walt Disney World Resort Hotel Guests are encouraged to use their personal transportation when traveling to and from Walt Disney World theme parks, Disney Springs and Fantasia Gardens. Standard theme park parking is included for registered Guests of Disney Resort hotels. These Guests can also choose to enjoy preferred parking by paying the difference in cost between their included standard parking and preferred parking (difference is currently $20-$25 per day*).

JohnD

Some other updates posted -

Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon water park is temporarily closed with a planned reopening on Sunday, Oct. 2

ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex will be open from 5:00 to 8:00 pm for scheduled events.

Transportation

Walt Disney World Transportation will begin operating as normal on Friday, Sept. 30 and is subject to weather protocols. Transportation will begin operating 30 minutes prior to Early Theme Park Entry for Disney Resort Hotel Guests and guests staying at other select hotels.

Walt Disney World Resort Hotel Guests are encouraged to use their personal transportation when traveling to and from Walt Disney World theme parks, Disney Springs and Fantasia Gardens. Standard theme park parking is included for registered Guests of Disney Resort hotels. These Guests can also choose to enjoy preferred parking by paying the difference in cost between their included standard parking and preferred parking (difference is currently $20-$25 per day*).

Disney Springs

Disney Springs will reopen on Friday, Sept. 30 at 10:00 a.m.
Since you posted this, I'll ask here anyway. I see we're encouraged to use our own transportation. Okay. I have a park reservation at Epcot and would like to end at HS. With early entry at HS being 10am, when does parking there open? 9am? Epcot early entry is also 9am. Would be great to park at HS then boat or Skyliner to Epcot. Or maybe I'm better off timing my leaving the Epcot front entrance no later than 1:30 so I can drive to HS and be there by 2pm.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

IanDLBZF

Something tells me that SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa may have had some form of significant damage.

Important Hurricane Ian Updates​

Due to Hurricane Ian, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Adventure Island, SeaWorld Orlando, Aquatica Orlando, and Discovery Cove parks will remain closed through Friday, September 30. The parks expect to reopen on Saturday, October 1.

Discovery Cove will reschedule or refund reservations booked online or from the call center. We will not apply any cancellation or change fees for this service. For any additional information, call 407-513-4600. If you have a reservation booked through a third-party reseller, we are happy to rebook your visit date, however, if requesting a refund, you will need to work through your reseller partner.

Busch Gardens and SeaWorld Howl-O-Scream tickets for September 30 have been extended through October 31.

All date-intended tickets for September 27 (at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay), 28, 29 and 30 (all parks listed above) have been extended through December 31.

Annual Pass Members’ guest tickets with an expiration date of September 30 and October 2 have been extended through October 16.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom