News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm just gonna leave this here...Just, well.....You know...Dinosaurs and Indy...
FbGBkzlUUAA5hyu

PREMISE from Wiki..
Fresh from a ride on a Nazi submarine, Indiana Jones is persuaded by a beautiful missionary to search for her missing father in Mongolia. Professor Angus Starbuck has discovered a dinosaur bone in the Gobi Desert. But unlike other discoveries, this bone isn't ancient! As Indy crosses from China through a treacherous mountain pass to Outer Mongolia, he runs afoul of the region's fiercest warlords. Meanwhile, the world's last innocent people, dwelling in a Stone Age paradise, are poised on the brink of destruction. Suddenly Indiana Jones is dueling wild dogs and bloodthirsty killers in a desperate effort to save the most historic discovery of the twentieth century: the last living Triceritops!

Hmm, saving a Dino with Indy?.....

Last edited:

Brer Panther

People keep pointing at Moana's Te Fiti plot as "proof" that the movie fits in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

I highly doubt that any potential Moana rides they're planning for Animal Kingdom will focus on animals or nature over Moana and Maui - the marketable human characters.

I recall people saying that Frozen Ever After would still teach us about Norway and look at how THAT turned out.

djkidkaz

I like the look of the Moana boat ride and spinner, but if it were up to me, they'd put all this in the Adventureland expansion pad and relocate and redress the Aladdin spinner. It would fit in that park better, give MK another ride and improve another part of that land...

...again, if it were up to me.

People always say that. “Oh this would be better in magic kingdom!” Epcot, Studios and Animal Kingdom are all based on real places and 95% of all of Disneys hit franchises are animated so of course the majority of these IP’s work the best in a park that people equate the most to fantasy. Even Frontierland is a more whimsical take on the old frontier with a wacky and wild train ride that is not realistic. I think the initial reaction to all of this stuff is “Moana is popular and has a bunch of hit songs, this will just be a ride through medley of that musical playlist which doesn’t fit the theme of DAK.” You can see Disney, for better or worse, always TRIES to tie in the theme of the park to whatever IP they attach to it. If the CEO is saying “I want IP’s going forward!” The imagineers have no choice but to try and shoehorn these IP’s into great and clever ride systems. Do you think any of the imagineers wanted to use Guardians of the Galaxy in Epcot? Of course not, but to work at your dream job, be a part of a project that actually has a chance to get green lit, you do what you have to do. You can see how they are tying Moana into Epcot with the whole idea of the cycle of water and attempting to make it educational.

Will the Moana Dak attraction have all the musical hits, of course. Will it have some sort of thematic tie in to DAK, even if it is a loose one? Of course.

I honestly think the area looks pretty damn nice in that concept art and I think a water flume ride is a great addition to DAK.

lazyboy97o

Are they obsessed? I think it's more likely that that is what they can do given the budget they are given. I don't think it's the case that they come up with the idea first and then they pitch it to corporate.
Except that Walt Disney Imagineering spends tens of millions on these little rides that routinely cost in the low millions.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
None of this stuff is ever getting built. WDI ran out of creative ideas long ago, Zach the Ridley demonstrates that. This is just a way to generate buzz and clicks and appease the low information pixie dusters.

No one with any plan or vision does a public blue sky like this.

Phicinfan

Moana and especially ZooTopia does NOT belong in Animial Kingdom. The Disney world that I knew and loved is slowing dying and will be gone in the next 15 years I’m afraid. They don’t care about what fits in what part anymore
I agree with Zootopia, but totally disagree with Moana, the whole movie is a theme to the importance of life's tie with nature and the oceans...how is that NOT part of what Animal Kingdom is?

LSLS

Moana definitely could tie in. BUT, I also am 50/50 on if they will attempt to tie it in (or just plop down a Moana land and say "We're good"). I also am not convinced the end result remotely resembles the concept art (man, I'm such a cynic now). IF they are going to really concentrate on the nature aspects and stick closely to how beautiful that art was, I'm good with it.

If I was in charge, the land would not be Moana. I would build the land more generic to the South Pacific, and then use the Moana IP as the main ride. I think that easily keeps with the Animal Kingdom theme, adds your IP, and leaves you open to add more IP in the future. Maybe you can add a Lilo and Stich Meet and Greet or ride. And you have an opening if you do more movies in that area of the world, along with incorporating more IP.

Beacon Joe

Wow, this is some really crappy news.

I agree with Zootopia, but totally disagree with Moana, the whole movie is a theme to the importance of life's tie with nature and the oceans...how is that NOT part of what Animal Kingdom is?

Thematically, I agree. But Modern Disneyco's ability to pull it off well is... suspect.

My crystal ball says "1.5 rides and a meet and greet pavilion." And tons of landfill-bound synthetic stuffed animals, keychains, plastic commemorative popcorn buckets and plastic tchotkeys to teach us about respecting nature.

mattpeto

I'm in favor of adding Zootopia to Animal Kingdom. I know that's not the popular viewpoint around here, but I'm sticking with it.

I'm not thrilled about Moana, though. I think having it be a major part of Epcot and Animal Kingdom both is too much.
I’m more open minded about IP than some, but her music was also featured 2x in Enchantment and once in Harmonious. I’d prefer different IPs at AK too (Jungle Book/Up) but there is something to be said about overload.

Maybe this will be one change for HEA (dropping Moana song) for sure @disneyglimpses to let her IP breathe in AK new land and just JoW.

lazyboy97o

Moana definitely could tie in. BUT, I also am 50/50 on if they will attempt to tie it in (or just plop down a Moana land and say "We're good").
See the “subtle” character elements at Journey of Water. People still assume that Disney has some big idea and then realizes they have a relevant franchise they could include when that’s not how it works. Any semblance of association to themes is largely coincidence. It’s all about the franchises. That’s what is primary and most important.

Phicinfan

My question is, if they do add Moana(and I am STILL not convinced it happens....), what happens with Cali river rapids? This flume ride will be the main "water" draw if it is done correctly(yes I know....).

DCLcruiser

So, when are they going to update the logo? I get that dragons never really happened, but now we will have two unrelated animals (triceratops and dragon) on the logo?

DCLcruiser

Forgive the crudeness. Hopefully this can help people visualize what the heck we are looking at. I sort of believe blue would be the ride entrance for the "Moana Splash". The boat in the lagoon just looks like mostly a viewing platform. The concept art looks like more than it is, but it's really just one ride and a lot of new adornment to triceratops spin. The Boneyard isn't even featured.

View attachment 666194View attachment 666195
I get the feeling the Moana spinner is not a reskin. The concept art is huge and looks to come off the ground, like Astro-Orbiter.

DisneyDebRob

None of this stuff is ever getting built. WDI ran out of creative ideas long ago, Zach the Ridley demonstrates that. This is just a way to generate buzz and clicks and appease the low information pixie dusters.

No one with any plan or vision does a public blue sky like this.
“If we can dream it.. we can’t build it..anymore”.

spresso81

The Moana spinner really is a perfect example at how pathetic this company has become. They want to revamp/re-do an entire are and change Dinosaurs to Moana. For a second assume I think this is a good idea.

Let's rebuild an entire land essentially around a spinner (I know the boat ride is the headliner, but the spinner is geographically in the middle of the project) which should cost $250,000 out of box. Instead of saying that is a dumb sunk cost to re-use, lets take what should cost $250,000 and add a ton of "theming" to a carnival ride so Zach can send out dumb Instagrams and now the revamp of a $250,000 spinner cost $25,000,000.

It feels like almost every idea that has been pitched or that sees the light of day is horrible.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom