News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

MadderAdder

I still vote for Moana/Encanto as part of the AK expansion, including Oceania wildlife and stories with South American ones. Not mine but read elsewhere online: “This would of been a nice spot for Encanto. Isabella’s flower garden, Antonio’s animals, Julieta’s healing food, Augustine’s bee hives, Dolores’s sounds of nature.”

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm gonna be fair and say Dinoland U.S.A. was always bad. I understand what Rhode was going for with the tourist trap-y tacky dinosaur themed areas you can find in the southwest but it looked awful and was a bad choice. DinoRAMA that cheap carnival eisner set up was even worse. Animal Kingdom should have always been classy and prestigious. On top of that the Countdown to Extinction/Dinosaur ride ended up being a lame clone of indy and squandered its potential and im someone that LOVES dinosaurs. I wont be sad to see that whole area bulldozed IF/WHEN something happens.

A shame it couldnt be replaced with a new dinosaur section that veers more closely to the aesthetic of Jurassic park and fits animal kingdoms overall look better.

I will always say Dinoland USA was incredibly well themed, it just wasn't a very ambitious theme.

Dinoman96

You know it's funny, I always lamented the death of Beastly Kingdom and considered it to be right up there as one of Imagineering's biggest tragedies and blunders...

...but honestly in hindsight, it turned out to be a mercy kill, as it absolutely would of been plundered and ravaged by Disney IPs in the long run anyways lol (to be fair it was already kinda there with the Fantasia Gardens concept...).

Epcot82Guy

I will leave Zootopia alone... very alone... where it belongs with any DAK conversation...

The Moana part is more conflicting. I firmly think you could divide Dinoland into two, having the path to Dinosaur being much more pronounced, and having a really world class dinosaur exhibit somewhere along the way (for the younger crowd). Kids definitely like dinos. The area just needs more dinos.

I agree on the Oceania-type approach. That could be a wonderful new addition that is in line with the park. You could easily do the flyer in the style of native peoples, taking a cue from the Festival of the Lion King facade in Africa. I would even love to see the water ride be focused on fish and wildlife of the area - sort of a boat ride counterpart to Safaris. I would love a rockwork heavy modern version of the Seas - sort of Pirates meets Seas meets Navi. And Moana could easily host that, ending in a climactic storm and drop. Seeing the stories they are coming up with these days, that certainly isn't any more contrived than what they are doing and would at least tie back to DAK's mission.

No chance of anything in any style like that with the Bobs and Josh. But I can hope.

erasure fan1

Because that was an important part of Disney's design philosophy for 70 years?
Yup
But it isn't anymore.
Yet, at D23, they plastered his image everywhere. Put up his quotes on the walls. Used his audio in the presentations. I saw him being used all over this convention. They leaned into Walt and his philosophies all over the place.

This is why current Disney management is so terrible. They take a dump on everything he stood for with the parks. Then pretend that they are continuing the legacy of him. It's just a sad time to be a Disney parks fan.

JMcMahonEsq

oh lol I thought they got rid of that thing
Just click on the link and you can see why DiSney wants to keep a spinner type ride. 90 sec ride time so quick turn around. No age or height restriction so everyone in park can ride it. Small footprint so doesn't take up a ton of space, and can be themed to almost anything.

JMcMahonEsq

Yup

Yet, at D23, they plastered his image everywhere. Put up his quotes on the walls. Used his audio in the presentations. I saw him being used all over this convention. They leaned into Walt and his philosophies all over the place.

This is why current Disney management is so terrible. They take a dump on everything he stood for with the parks. Then pretend that they are continuing the legacy of him. It's just a sad time to be a Disney parks fan.
You don't operate a company that was founded 100yrs ago, like it was still 100yrs ago.

You can honor the man, his vision, and what he did to found the company, but that doesn't mean you make every decision with a What Would Walt Do magic 8 ball.

Tom Morrow

Yup

See also: flying the original Epcot icons as flags while doing everything they can to remove that identity from the park.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Tell us you don’t understand Disney’s theme parks without telling us you don’t understand Disney’s theme parks:

Disney Parks head Josh D'Amaro share some Zootpoia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom”

The words I’d like to use for this would not pass forum censors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom