Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

RSoxNo1

If they would just bring back the retro 80's tomorrows child ending.. you'd think Zack would be all over that idea.
The last update did many things right, but was overshadowed by the screens and the descent.

If the ride system itself needs to be replaced (rumors are that it does) than a lengthier refurb will be required. If it doesn't need to be replaced, they really only need to remove the screens, fix what's broken and add in a meaningful descent and a new narration.

StantonZ

It has been stated that the ride systems needs to be replaced, which should be a fairly significant job. I can't think of another (track-based) ride system that has been operating in WDW as long as SSE (40 years).

montyz81

I'd say the record is Small World at Disneyland. Its the same ride from the 64/65 World's Fair (hence the trough). Most of it is still the original equipment :)
He said track-based system.

Honestly, the oldest running track-based system in WDW is probably CoP. Also, the tracks and trains for the PeopleMover are exactly the same as they were on day one in 1975.

fgmnt

When was Haunted Mansion or Peter Pan last reworked?
Can’t give you the year off the top of my head but i remember a significant refurbishment at haunted mansion around 15 years ago. I can’t remember if it explicitly included trackwork but it’s more likely than not that it did.

Neither that nor Flight are as much of a technical challenge to maintain as SSE however for what i feel are obvious reasons.

StantonZ

Also, the tracks and trains for the PeopleMover are exactly the same as they were on day one in 1975.
Not really. They replaced all the inductive motor elements (required some serious re-engineering due to the old design), although the track itself is the same.

Beacon Joe

My son, who is into conspiracy theories subscribes to the particular theory that Disney has staged the recent boat problems as a way to introduce, "see, we have not choice but to revamp the entire ride," and attempt to ease fans' anger. I was not convinced of this particular theory since I am of the opinion that Disney values fans' opinions as much as a fly fisherman in Alaska in May values mosquitoes.

But after riding Spaceship Earth recently, I have to wonder if - just maybe - they're letting the ride rot in order the set up the same excuse.

Like the Glorious Tiki Room Restoration "accidental fire," but this time not an act of restoration, but a craven act to cover a downgrade.

DoleWhipDrea

My son, who is into conspiracy theories subscribes to the particular theory that Disney has staged the recent boat problems as a way to introduce, "see, we have not choice but to revamp the entire ride," and attempt to ease fans' anger. I was not convinced of this particular theory since I am of the opinion that Disney values fans' opinions as much as a fly fisherman in Alaska in May values mosquitoes.

But after riding Spaceship Earth recently, I have to wonder if - just maybe - they're letting the ride rot in order the set up the same excuse.

Like the Glorious Tiki Room Restoration "accidental fire," but this time not an act of restoration, but a craven act to cover a downgrade.

You're giving them too much credit. Disney just refuses to spend the appropriate amount needed on maintenance and employees needed for maintenance. I really feel for the technicians that are trying to keep things working - they're doing the best that they can, but Disney is not giving them the support they need.

SplashJacket

F81DC136-E711-4D25-8BB1-6C5CF1AB06B0.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom