Rumor Spaceship Earth Redo Shelved Indefinitely

No Name

OK this might be a silly question probably, but does Disney NEED to have a sponsor to underwrite the construction or refurbishment or maintenance of an attraction? In the early years when they were stretching financially to build the parks I can understand how this would have helped...but today when the cost of visiting as a guest have skyrocketed from entry tickets and hotel, merch and food, can they not afford to invest in their parks without additional underwriting by Kimberly Clark or Pepsi?
Well public companies don’t stop at “we’ve made enough for the day” and evidently they just don’t see the value in spending their own money to update Spaceship Earth. I can’t fault them for wanting to make money, I just wonder if they’re doing the best job at it.

aladdin2007

I thought everything looked pretty good today for the most part, except the burning rome scent is turned off. The star lights in the ascent have been improved and brightened. I wont even start on the descent however; we all know.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Burning *Library of Alexandria..*

;)

Rome is the "all roads lead to Rome, the first communication network" scene.

As if established continental trade routes weren't 2000 years old by that time.... otherwise, how could the Phoenicians share their alphabet?

mikejs78

Premium Member

;)

As if established continental trade routes weren't 2000 years old by that time.... otherwise, how could the Phoenicians share their alphabet?
Stop it penguin! Stop ruining my favorite Epcot attraction with pesky facts!

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

;)

In fairness, it was "Burning Rome" in every version of the script until the Dench iteration:

Vic Perrin: North, South, East, and West, all roads lead from Rome, a mighty network reaching across the land, welding far-flung garrisons into a growing empire.

Glorious Rome, until consumed by the flames of excess. Imperial Rome, lost in the ashes of darkness.

____

Walter Cronkite: The Romans build a mighty system of roads - a long distance network to carry laws and tidings over a far-reaching empire.

Glorious Rome falls victim to the flames of excess. Ages of knowledge are lost or forgotten in the ashes.

____

Jeremy Irons: The mighty Roman empire bridged three continents with a vast system of roads; the fastest information highways the world had ever known. East, west, north, and south - all roads led to Rome.

But these same roads were turned against Rome by invaders whose destruction left ages of knowledge and wisdom in the ashes that would become the Dark Ages.

No Name

I love this ride but wow the past versions were so dry. The Judy Dench version injected some much needed life into the ride.

I still think it could hugely benefit from a major overhaul, much like Hershey’s did with their chocolate tour ride in 2008, if anyone’s been on that. Living with the Land is probably even more ripe for that kind of a change.

yensidtlaw1969

I love this ride but wow the past versions were so dry. The Judy Dench version injected some much needed life into the ride.

I still think it could hugely benefit from a major overhaul, much like Hershey’s did with their chocolate tour ride in 2008, if anyone’s been on that. Living with the Land is probably even more ripe for that kind of a change.
It didn't feel so dour when the ride's finale ended on a sufficiently inspiring note, and when the park had a number of different attractions that balanced with different chords of humor.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

The current script is the worst one.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sure, that’s your opinion.

And one I'm very comfortable with, and in good company with. When whoever wrote the script has to "inject life" by comparing ancient roads to 'the world wide web", and copying books as "the world's first backup"... :banghead: It's an insultingly stupid script, one very much reflective of and in line with what current Disney management thinks of consumers.

No Name

And one I'm very comfortable with, and in good company with. When whoever wrote the script has to "inject life" by comparing ancient roads to 'the world wide web", and copying books as "the world's first backup"... :banghead: It's an insultingly stupid script, one very much reflective of and in line with what current Disney management thinks of consumers.
I’d wager most people do not find it insultingly stupid but rather more interesting. But again you’re welcome to your opinion.

esskay

If they would just bring back the retro 80's tomorrows child ending.. you'd think Zack would be all over that idea.
I mean, in theory it wouldn't take much. Remove those dusty black cloths off of all the original scenary, swap out the soundtrack, turn off those stupid ride screens and we're done.

In seriousness a light refurb really wouldn't cost much to Disney...

1. Keep the current script for now and swap out Judy with someone else.
  2. Throw in some projection mapping, they've got that tech now to a tee now, combine it with some of the tech ILM's been working on with unreal engine for Star Wars to build up projected 3d structures and scenary in the existing scenes to give them a bit more life.
  3. Slap some of the fancy neon style LED's into the tiny bit of preshow and the postshow decline to match it up with the newer Epcot theming.
That would suffice for a couple of years until a new sponsor can be found, or until Disney realises that nobody wants to pay them anymore and that its a stupid business model to rely on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom