News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

UNCgolf

Be honest with yourself, if Harmonious was hated as you and the others pretend it is, do you really think Disney would have ignored that. Let's take Enchantment. That show has gone through plenty of changes because of how much the show flopped originally. Laser effects have been modified/added, musical sequences changed, pyro changed/improved, whole 2 minute segment of show is added, new narration.

The most change Harmonious has had was some rearranged pyro and fountain sequence changes for Coco.

On top of that it's clear Disney themselves favor Harmonious for marketing and that's for a reason. Enchantment didn't get a Disney+ special. That alone is telling. A hated show doesn't get a Disney+ special. People favor Harmonious over Enchantment and they know that. Enchantment needed lots of change because people genuinely do hate that show (or at least did in the past). Even people who hate Harmonious prefer it to Enchantment.

I never said Harmonious was hated (I've never even seen it). I said multiple insiders have told us Disney's internal surveys indicate the show is not performing the way they'd hoped and that they are planning changes.

Did you consider that Disney created a Harmonious special because it's not as popular as they wanted and they're trying to prop it up? I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's just as likely as your scenario.

It feels like you love it and are unwilling to even entertain the idea that that may not be the prevailing opinion.

Last edited:

DisCOT_97

I loved Illuminations. I went to one of the last few shows and I’m glad I did. As much as I tried liking Harmonious, it was unlikeable from the start…no one wanted those barges. And they may have been somewhat easier to accept if the show was amazing, but it feels like a rehash of other shows, with no true story. Illuminations wasn’t perfect, and it definitely could’ve used an update. But I think Harmonious isn’t the hit Disney wanted it to be, and they’re aware of that.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
The whole time I was watching Snoozemonious all I could think about was how all of that tech in the lagoon could have been used to elevate IllumiNations to another level. I could tolerate the permanent barges if the show was good. Alas, it caters to people with low standards who only need flashy lights and basic to nearly nonexistent storylines to be entertained.

bhg469

Yet people still crowd around the lagoon each night to watch it and have for the past 11 months. , you're a funny one, marni.
This is simply not true... I am at epcot several times a week for the past year. 12 months ago, yes, people would line up for spots, that is not the case anymore. You can literally show up at show time and easily find a space to view the show...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yet people still crowd around the lagoon each night to watch it and have for the past 11 months. , you're a funny one, marni.
People can’t honestly answer a survey about it until they’ve seen it.
This is simply not true... I am at epcot several times a week for the past year. 12 months ago, yes, people would line up for spots, that is not the case anymore. You can literally show up at show time and easily find a space to view the show...
Imagine that. That’s a funny one.

Last edited:
Most people that I have taken to see Harmonious have not liked it and they are not classic Epcot fans or have an attachment to previous shows. However, there were two people that I’ve gone with that absolutely loved it.

For me personally, I hate it. I think it’s incredible how Disney, a company that once went to great lengths to camouflage ToT so it wouldn’t mess with the theming of Morocco, now simply doesn’t care and allowed for the barges to just sit in the middle the lagoon while advertising the 50th. The show might have been expensive, but that screams cheap to me. What bewilders me more is that people seemed to tell Disney that they disapproved of this at the time when they announced it would be permanent.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt but the show just feels so corporate to me. It lacks the originality and storytelling that I’ve seen from Disney shows in the past (ToN, BraviSEAmo, fantasmic, and illumiNations to name a few). For me it isn’t about illumiNations being gone, or being an Epcot boomer (as my friend calls me), but rather a departure from the philosophy of the “show” key and then some.

It really made me see how much Disney standards have fallen in terms of show. Which is sad because I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, they been showing they don’t care for a while now. Look at the descent in Spaceship Earth, the state of Imagination, any of the blue boxes, BatB sing along, and more.

The show itself can’t be fully viewed throughout the entirety of the world showcase which sucks, you miss major components of the show if your not in a favorable spot. Also, the progression of the show isn’t great.

The show seems to use most of its tricks within the first 5 minutes.

Every section seems to be a show stopping moments.

IllumiNations wasn’t perfect and definitely needed to be updated and/or replaced; however, IllumiNations could be viewed through the WS, and had a strong storyline as it pertained to Epcot. Now while I am thinking about it, the show followed the structure of most classic Epcot attractions. It explored the past, present, and the future which made it a perfect cohesive match for the park.

With all that being said, some good points in Harmonious for me are the finale, the different languages used throughout the show, and the different cultural instruments used. I can appreciate that people can feel represented and I can appreciate hearing the different instruments used throughout the segments. I think the finale is the best part of the show as it uses the Epcot anthem mixed in with someday to represent unity. It’s just a beautiful end that I felt deserved a better show overall.

To improve Harmonious outside of just getting rid of it or discarding the IP…

-I would lessen the Disney movie animations and add more real footage showcasing different cultures.

-If there was a way, I would make the barges truly mobile during the show and also before the show. That would add more kinetic energy to the show, while giving everyone around the lagoon the opportunity to see the show in its fullness. Also, this would free-up the views of the WS.

- I’m not a musician, but I would make the show flow much better from a musical standpoint.

All in all to wrap up this long opinionated rant, it’s crazy to me that this show got green lit in the way that it did and I have questions. Was no one at Disney thinking about the views of WS? Did anyone question certain aspects of the show such as it’s viewability throughout the WS? What is Disney thinking about this show now? Would they have green lit this show if they knew the overall reception today (which I really don’t know what it is)? Did the budget of this show take away from something else like say an Imagination revamp? What is the public reception overall?

Am I crazy to have these thoughts?

Last edited:

trainplane3

-If there was a way, I would make the barges truly mobile during the show and also before the show. The would add more kinetic energy to the show, while giving everyone around the lagoon the opportunity to see the show in its fullness. Also, this would free-up the views of the WS.
Those things are absolutely massive. They'd never be mobile during the show. RoE's much smaller barges were anchored into position and those were pretty nimble for their size.

For all the tech the Harm barges have, they feel so lackluster. The fountains are neat I guess. The screens don't seem worthwhile at all and while the arms are really cool with how fast they move, they don't really add anything to the show. I'd be fine with stripping everything but the arms (and fountains) but I assume the barges are so tall to accommodate the motors and other electronics to move the arms.

The ring is the largest offender by far. I mean...
$400 for this view?
ulDbdc9.jpg

While I'm glad I got to do a cruise at a massive discount (and getting to cross into WS from Crescent Lake), I'd rather be in the entrance plaza. I'm expecting a tag for Epcot 40 because I really don't want to waste time watching Harmonious again.

I did manage to get one really nice picture of the show:
7UcFiy3.jpg

Nevermind. That's what you get at the end of the cruise. Basically showing you what you missed.

mattpeto

Just saving this for posterity. They are well aware of how unpopular it is, and there are plans.
I personally don’t think the barges are long for this world. People up the ranks do not like the look at the lagoon. I've said previously they will likely survive through the end of 2023. but that's merely my opinion.

I wonder if Epcot Forever makes a return before a new permanent show.

mattpeto

Was no one at Disney thinking about the views of WS? Did anyone question certain aspects of the show such as it’s viewability throughout the WS? What is Disney thinking about this show now? Would they have green lit this show if they knew the overall reception today (which I really don’t know what it is)? Did the budget of this show take away from something else like say an Imagination revamp? What is the public reception overall?

The daytime fountains were used as justification for the permanent placement.

Obviously they didn't see the daytime fountains as flopping.

Vinnie Mac

Most people that I have taken to see Harmonious have not liked it and they are not classic Epcot fans or have an attachment to previous shows. However, there were two people that I’ve gone with that absolutely loved it.

For me personally, I hate it. I think it’s incredible how Disney, a company that once went to great lengths to camouflage ToT so it wouldn’t mess with the theming of Morocco, now simply doesn’t care and allowed for the barges to just sit in the middle the lagoon while advertising the 50th. The show might have been expensive, but that screams cheap to me. What bewilders me more is that people seemed to tell Disney that they disapproved of this at the time when they announced it would be permanent.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt but the show just feels so corporate to me. It lacks the originality and storytelling that I’ve seen from Disney shows in the past (ToN, BraviSEAmo, fantasmic, and illumiNations to name a few). For me it isn’t about illumiNations being gone, or being an Epcot boomer (as my friend calls me), but rather a departure from the philosophy of the “show” key and then some.

It really made me see how much Disney standards have fallen in terms of show. Which is sad because I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, they been showing they don’t care for a while now. Look at the descent in Spaceship Earth, the state of Imagination, any of the blue boxes, BatB sing along, and more.

The show itself can’t be fully viewed throughout the entirety of the world showcase which sucks, you miss major components of the show if your not in a favorable spot. Also, the progression of the show isn’t great.

The show seems to use most of its tricks within the first 5 minutes.

Every section seems to be a show stopping moments.

IllumiNations wasn’t perfect and definitely needed to be updated and/or replaced; however, IllumiNations could be viewed through the WS, and had a strong storyline as it pertained to Epcot. Now while I am thinking about it, the show followed the structure of most classic Epcot attractions. It explored the past, present, and the future which made it a perfect cohesive match for the park.

With all that being said, some good points in Harmonious for me are the finale, the different languages used throughout the show, and the different cultural instruments used. I can appreciate that people can feel represented and I can appreciate hearing the different instruments used throughout the segments. I think the finale is the best part of the show as it uses the Epcot anthem mixed in with someday to represent unity. It’s just a beautiful end that I felt deserved a better show overall.

To improve Harmonious outside of just getting rid of it or discarding the IP…

-I would lessen the Disney movie animations and add more real footage showcasing different cultures.

-If there was a way, I would make the barges truly mobile during the show and also before the show. That would add more kinetic energy to the show, while giving everyone around the lagoon the opportunity to see the show in its fullness. Also, this would free-up the views of the WS.

- I’m not a musician, but I would make the show flow much better from a musical standpoint.

All in all to wrap up this long opinionated rant, it’s crazy to me that this show got green lit in the way that it did and I have questions. Was no one at Disney thinking about the views of WS? Did anyone question certain aspects of the show such as it’s viewability throughout the WS? What is Disney thinking about this show now? Would they have green lit this show if they knew the overall reception today (which I really don’t know what it is)? Did the budget of this show take away from something else like say an Imagination revamp? What is the public reception overall?

I am glad you gave actual possible improvements rather than crapping on the show because "It'S NoT IlUmInatiOns!"

Vinnie Mac

, Illuminations crowds were dead for like a whole decade before they retired it. Probably had more interest in the last week of its existence than it did the 10 years before that. Get over yourself 💀

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
, Illuminations crowds were dead for like a whole decade before they retired it. Probably had more interest in the last week of its existence than it did the 10 years before that. Get over yourself 💀

Oh, is that why every time I went and saw this from 2010-2019 I was basically shoulder-to-shoulder with others, and it was a mass of humanity leaving the park afterwards? Well, I'm glad we have an expert such as yourself on hand here to verify with hard data that I was, in fact, mistaken all those years and I was there practically alone. Nothing refutes personal experience like a message board "crowd expert" who thinks he knows things.

Back on Ignore for you and your twaddle.

bhg469

Sure Vinnie.. that was definitely not the case for me and Ice only lived here a year. I have visited many times and watched illuminations every time. It was always much busier.

I know for sure that the crowds for the current show are much less attended, that's just factual..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom