Josh D'Amaro comments on rising prices and "additional" or removed services: "An inevitable result of progress"

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ah, an example of the brilliant thinking that is driving Wall Streets reaction to streaming.

My favorite was when all of corporate America decided cinemas were dead... DEAD. Then movie theaters proved remarkably resilient in surviving a global, multi-year crisis that seemed custom-made to kill the industry. This year, audiences proved they'd show up in droves for blockbusters... exactly like before the crisis. But because of panicked Wall Street group-think, none of the studios (except Disney) have any theatrical content ready to go for the foreseeable future while streaming services flounder. Brilliant!

It's amazing. America distrusts everyone... politicians, professors, teachers, doctors, lawyers, the media, etc., etc... except businessmen, completely ignoring both over a century of experience and current events.
Not to go off the rails…but movie theaters proved that people would show up for some “decent” movies this year and have started to reject stupid tent poles more than they have since this prolonged period of economic stupidity began. Hope that holds…

With you on the rest 👍🏻

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Not to go off the rails…but movie theaters proved that people would show up for some “decent” movies this year and have started to reject stupid tent poles more than they have since this prolonged period of economic stupidity began. Hope that holds…

With you ok the rest 👍🏻
Sorry to shatter your optimism, but Jurassic World was a huge hit. People will still go see stinkers if they’re a blockbuster from the right IP.

I think they want the park exclusively for rich people. However, do we know where the money go? I think it is a matter of their own salary. We are starting a recession around the world.

Many people will choose other options. Why not universal ? They are not killing the magic as Bob Chapek.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sorry to shatter your optimism, but Jurassic World was a huge hit. People will still go see stinkers if they’re a blockbuster from the right IP.
Yeah…but it flamed out as fast as you could say “Kathy kennedy”…

So did $hagnarock…along those lines (and that wasn’t horrid…but not great either)

I’m gonna be an “optimist” that stupidity will yield to story again at some point…

celluloid

People have their limits.

Fallen Kingdom was awful, but the latest installment was a slight recovery of a hit because it tried to get a slice of the love back with the original cast trio returning and create a closure.

Because if the second part of your post guranteed smash hits and proper ROI's, then Lightyear proves you can stray too far while trying.

Last edited:
I don't understand that many people are happy due to increase the prices. Additionally, I will never understand why many people want magical express disappear. The prices of parking have been increased too. As a matter of fact, if you don't want to use this service, you don't have to.

On the other hand, increasing prices can be good this year. What about next year with the recession?

I only say that there are more options. For instance, I can go to Hong Kong Disneyland or Universal.

hopemax

With talks with OLC apparently charging more soon but limiting capacity, it makes me wonder if Disney will follow suit. Yes it's inevitably going to out price people in Japan, but at least the park experience will be probably a lot better. A less crowded park with limited capacity certainly sounds like a better experience to me.

But that's likely wishful thinking for the Disney owned parks/US parks. The park reservation system cleary has been used as a quota system. Disney seems to have absolutely no intention of limiting. It makes me wonder since people are truly willing to pay $200 for 3 or 5-hour long special events, if we will be seeing $200 park tickets soon.
Vail Resorts also recently announced that they would be capping lift pass sales to "preserve the guest experience." It seems to be the new trend. I just want to know if it is acknowledgement that old practices of just cramming people into places with a fixed capacity was "bad business." Or if it's meant to create a sense of scarcity to cause people to buy their passes earlier and accept higher prices because "it might sell out!"

SorcererDonald16

Wait, I thought "Hot Daddy" was the good guy?

You're telling me he's just another executive that doesn't care about guest experience and is only following (the temporary) big money? I can't believe it.
It was sad to me to see CMs I know personally and parks fans I know falling for it and gushing about how he “really cared!” and “truly got it!” and cared like Walt would have in a modern era. :depressed: I wanted to be hopeful too, but it was clear to me early that there was little point.

He is better at playing the PR game than Chapek. That’s it. A walking, talking politician wannabe if ever I have seen one, maybe even more than Bob 1.0. Perhaps I am being unfair, but almost everything he says and does strikes me as slick and calculated.

Garbage ideas and bad decisions dressed up in a fancy package are still bad. You can put a slice of SPAM on a $1,000 fine china plate, and it’s still SPAM. (Apologies to anyone who likes SPAM :D ).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
With talks with OLC apparently charging more soon but limiting capacity, it makes me wonder if Disney will follow suit. Yes it's inevitably going to out price people in Japan, but at least the park experience will be probably a lot better. A less crowded park with limited capacity certainly sounds like a better experience to me.

But that's likely wishful thinking for the Disney owned parks/US parks. The park reservation system cleary has been used as a quota system. Disney seems to have absolutely no intention of limiting. It makes me wonder since people are truly willing to pay $200 for 3 or 5-hour long special events, if we will be seeing $200 park tickets soon.
The difference is that that the crowds at Tokyo have NEVER stayed away.

They crashed their economy in the late 80’s and had the second (and that’s actually not that far off ) biggest Nuclear disaster in history not far from there…

That is not the case in Anaheim and sure as hell not the case in Orlando.
Tumbleweed has shown.

And it’s not vail…where it plays to that crowd.

Want elite in Orlando? Better drop the pretense and increase quality…0

No? Too much cost? Gonna fail then.

And today is a day ending in “Y”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait, I thought "Hot Daddy" was the good guy?

You're telling me he's just another executive that doesn't care about guest experience and is only following (the temporary) big money? I can't believe it.
It appears he’s a _____ like all the rest.
Closed book
(Yes…I’ll never forget this one…I hope for everyone else’s sake I go away soon (too) 😎)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know why he is using the word of progress. Walt uses plenty of time because he wanted to create a good progress taking his parks as a reference. As a result, he never destroyed parks or fans. In other words, Disney was a place where families could enjoy together. Right now it is a place where rich people can spend money.
I love your posts…because of your native perspective…

And this one is at the top. “Progress” is not the word to use and those trying to distract/divert from that are just throwing up distractions that change nothing.

Bravo.

It’s not an economics problem with this…it’s horrible judgement, semantics and fundamental misuse of ingles.

Tha Realest

I don't say this to start a sports war but in complete seriousness; if they still had the most profitable and viewed college conference on their channels come 2024, I would be inclined to agree with you on this point to a certain degree. I think there's still a lot of weight to be thrown around with what they have, but not having any Big Ten content at all does significantly affect that calculus IMO. For college sports viewers, a very large number of media markets have been completely removed from needing The Worldwide Leader for their coverage. They've created a ceiling of sorts for themselves, and I don't see it as one made to bust through triumphantly in this arena.
I’m not as familiar with the sport or it’s followings but many have said Disney not ponying up for cricket rights is going to hurt them in Europe/India/Asia

Tha Realest

It was sad to me to see CMs I know personally and parks fans I know falling for it and gushing about how he “really cared!” and “truly got it!” and cared like Walt would have in a modern era. :depressed: I wanted to be hopeful too, but it was clear to me early that there was little point.

He is better at playing the PR game than Chapek. That’s it. A walking, talking politician wannabe if ever I have seen one, maybe even more than Bob 1.0. Perhaps I am being unfair, but almost everything he says and does strikes me as slick and calculated.

Garbage ideas and bad decisions dressed up in a fancy package are still bad. You can put a slice of SPAM on a $1,000 fine china plate, and it’s still SPAM. (Apologies to anyone who likes SPAM :D ).
He’s carefully cultivated an image of caring in a way that the fandom lets him skate. The notion he’s reluctantly just following orders is laughable. He’s been a loyal Iger/Chapek lieutenant and has been at the parks executing all of these highly unpopular initiatives.

Don’t fall for the performative empathy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Been lying since day 1. You don’t get past security in the dwarf house since circa 2000 by being “caring”…

Fans and employees have lied to themselves on this for decades to make themselves feel better. It’s transactional. Period.

He’s carefully cultivated an image of caring in a way that the fandom lets him skate. The notion he’s reluctantly just following orders is laughable. He’s been a loyal Iger/Chapek lieutenant and has been at the parks executing all of these highly unpopular initiatives.

Don’t fall for the performative empathy.
But that’s classic psychology (those always quoting Econ all the time around here are referring to the WRONG social science) isn’t it?

It’s basically the “good cop” routine and a basic understanding of morale in the two focus groups” and the affect of social/digital information.

You feed the mice cheese…not hard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom