New Cirque du Soleil 'Drawn to Life' show in development to replace La Nouba

EricsBiscuit

Cirque du Soleil is timeless. They're doing something right because they've managed to make it 38 years, even if they almost folded because of the pandemic. You clearly don't appreciate their beauty and artistry, and that's a-okay! We're not meant to love everything.
I love Cirque but I know they can do better than DTL.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I didn't even know this opened. At all. Usually marketing is everywhere for new additions.
The marketing is so bad for this show. I don’t recall seeing any billboards outside of Springs for it; but I haven’t driven around town a lot this week.
Really?

I saw DTL and I liked it a lot and will go again... however...

There were three subpar acts:

1. The big wheel. First, it was a weak connection to Disney trying to pass the big wheel off as an artist's color wheel, and then not incorporate color into the act. Second, the throwing of the aerialist looked kinda awkward and not finessed in any way. Third, the aerialist did the usual flips with twists that the other acts had, which added not much to the repertoire of gymnastics.​
2. The 'princesses' and the swings. Another awkward act. One would have thought the aerialists would have taken off *and* landed on the swing as it swings, BUT... they held the swing still to catch the aerialist. Also awkward was when the aerialist landed on the mat, which was plenty thick enough for a safe landing, BUT... they held the mat up off the ground and dropped it as the aerialist landed, which was super odd. The mat falling along with the aerialist doesn't give extra cushioning. If they wanted pneumatic cushioning, they should have used an inflated mat. And, finally, the aerial elements were again the usual flips and twists randomly done without any sort of story or build-up.​
3. The parents' dance at the end: The mom was on wires, which allowed some pretty neat and artistic moves, like sliding across the floor at a tilt. BUT... they then proceeded to do balance and strength moves, like the mom doing a one-handed handstand on dad's raised arm, which is typical for such acts. But with the mom wired... it kinda meant nothing. Was the wire supporting her weight? Was the wire ensuring balance? Either do an artistic wire act, or, do a strength/balance act, but don't combine them, because the wire makes the strength/balance act look trivial.​

That said, I really, really like the unicycle act and the floor exercise act and the 'dancing pencil' act. The rubber band men on the teeter totter provided all the usual flips and twists of aerialists and in a fun way (unlike the wheel and the swings, which made those aerial exercises redundant).

So... that's my review. I saw it in early December shortly after it opened. Maybe they were still working out some kinks.
This is a review and opinion I can respect because it’s so well thought out. I agree some acts are rather tame compared to the high thrills of La Nouba. Some seemed just like filler, so those could go.
You keep telling yourself that as you sit in a half-empty theater.
Just because this show is seemingly a financial flop, at the moment, doesn’t mean Cirque as a brand is in any danger. Their Vegas shows have rebounded well, even their touring shows have been rocking and rolling.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Um, because it's not 1993 when this concept was new and interesting?

That is like saying "Um, because it's not 1997 anymore so The Lion King on Broadway is no longer new and interesting" and yet it still sells out across the country on tours and does very well on Broadway...

I believe Cirque du Soleil doesn't sell out because people just don't understand what it is, nor are they aware it exists, or how good it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
That is like saying "Um, because it's not 1997 anymore so The Lion King on Broadway is no longer new and interesting" and yet it still sells out across the country on tours and does very well on Broadway...

I believe Cirque du Soleil doesn't sell out because people just don't understand what it is, nor are they aware it exists, or how good it is.
Part of DTL’s problem is the high price points. Sure, they’re comparable to similar Broadway and touring shows but my seats in section 204 were $106 each; to me that’s insane. I sat front row of La Nouba for that before.

I also think the actual show times are dumb. 530 and 8 are weird times to work around. They should have kept the 6pm and 9pm times, imo.

But the big problem is zero promo! I know some locals who were not even aware it was officially open. Cirque and Disney need to be doing more to appeal to the local market right now until international travel begins to pick up again.

RobWDW1971

The Cirque brand was built on being groundbreaking, new, and unique like it was in 1993 when Mystere hit Vegas with its massive permanent production.

We all went, loved it, and then saw O, Love, Ka, La Nouba, etc, etc, rinse and repeat.

It is now a tired concept that has been beaten to death and worn out its welcome with audiences.

We've seen it. We get it. We've moved on. Hence, the half-empty theater night after night.

After 30 years people don't know what Cirque is? Sure, why not.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
The Cirque brand was built on being groundbreaking, new, and unique like it was in 1993 when Mystere hit Vegas with its massive permanent production.

We all went, loved it, and then saw O, Love, Ka, La Nouba, etc, etc, rinse and repeat.

It is now a tired concept that has been beaten to death and worn out its welcome with audiences.

We've seen it. We get it. We've moved on. Hence, the half-empty theater night after night.

After 30 years people don't know what Cirque is? Sure, why not.
Whitney Houston GIF

WondersOfLife

Well of course it is "worn out" or "beaten to death." You've seen it a bunch of times. That doesn't mean the billions of people left in the world have, though.
After 30 years people don't know what Cirque is?
Yes. It's been 40 years since Epcot opened and there are still plenty of people who don't know what that is, as well. lol.

There are thousands of people who think Harry Potter is in Disney World. There are so many more who have never seen Phantom of the Opera. Every time I mention Cirque du Soleil to anyone, just about all of them say "what is that?" So yes. Plenty of people do not know what cirque is.

RobWDW1971

Well of course it is "worn out" or "beaten to death." You've seen it a bunch of times. That doesn't mean the billions of people left in the world have, though.

Yes. It's been 40 years since Epcot opened and there are still plenty of people who don't know what that is, as well. lol.

There are thousands of people who think Harry Potter is in Disney World. There are so many more who have never seen Phantom of the Opera. Every time I mention Cirque du Soleil to anyone, just about all of them say "what is that?" So yes. Plenty of people do not know what cirque is.
It's a tired concept from the 90's and audiences are speaking loudly and clearly with their dollars.

Let me understand your theory - so in 1993 with no internet, social media, and limited ways to research and hear about things it was huge, but in 2022, it is a lack of knowledge and access to information that is holding it back. Got it, makes total sense.

But hey, you keep the dream alive.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
It's a tired concept from the 90's and audiences are speaking loudly and clearly with their dollars.

Let me understand your theory - so in 1993 with no internet, social media, and limited ways to research and hear about things it was huge, but in 2022, it is a lack of knowledge and access to information that is holding it back. Got it, makes total sense.

But hey, you keep the dream alive.
Still waiting for some cold hard evidence that Cirque is a failing company. Do you have box office data to support your anti Cirque crusade? The Las Vegas Business Journal and the Montreal Gazette would also have plenty of entries about Cirque's impending doom, yet a quick search yields nothings. So please Rob, I ask again, show us the receipts!! All you've offered is feelings over facts.

RobWDW1971

Still waiting for some cold hard evidence that Cirque is a failing company. Do you have box office data to support your anti Cirque crusade? The Las Vegas Business Journal and the Montreal Gazette would also have plenty of entries about Cirque's impending doom, yet a quick search yields nothings. So please Rob, I ask again, show us the receipts!! All you've offered is feelings over facts.
Hyperbolic much?

Neither on a crusade nor talking about the entire company - talking about demand for this project, which you just have to click on the available tickets for shows in the middle of a busy summer and the reality is right there for you to accept or deny.

But a half empty house in the middle of summer isn't a "fact" to you, just some random "feeling". Noted.

And apparently if you were looking for recent financial updates on the broader company you didn't Google very hard:

Although it received financial support with a $50 million injection from its shareholders and a $200 million loan from the Quebec government, on 29 June 2020, the company announced that it had filed for bankruptcy protection and was terminating 3,500 employees who had previously been laid off.

WondersOfLife

No it is not. And no they are not. lol
Let me understand your theory - so in 1993 with no internet, social media, and limited ways to research and hear about things it was huge, but in 2022, it is a lack of knowledge and access to information that is holding it back.
Exactly right. The marketing was better in the 90s than it was now. lol.

They have 19 running shows, with over 4000 employees, and back in 2018 they were making over 850 million dollars... And they seem to be staying very busy even after the pandemic.

In regard to specifically Drawn to Life, I am pretty sure a lot of people are not aware of its existence... Ask anybody who has been to Disney World and say "Have you seen Cirque du Soleil?" and most will either go "What is that?" or "We saw the building, but we haven't seen that yet."

By all means, I have the ability to look up anything I want. But if it isn't consistently the talk of the town, or it gets no advertisement, then why would anyone know about it? Just because Hamilton is the biggest and newest show on Broadway doesn't mean that Phantom of the Opera didn't still make 2 million dollars during one singular christmas week in 2017... Even though the show has been playing on Broadway since 1988.

Your logic is just not backed up by anything... Meanwhile, it is clearly easy to see that Disney has not given the time, effort, or budget to marketing this show. And it is an amazing show.

Even at half capacity per show, though, that is still 835 people per showing, which can average out to about $75,150 in revenue if all seats are sold at the medium price of $90 per seat. That is quite the success for a theatrical presentation... And that is only for one night at half capacity... So even at a THIRD capacity, I'd think they're doing better than you might expect at first glance.

The theatre holds 1,671 people for christ sake... Half capacity is like 835 people. Hamilton is performed in a theater that holds 1,319 people, to give you an idea. And that is a broadway theater... Cirque in Disney Springs is just a theater located in a shopping mall. They're doing great! LOL!

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Hyperbolic much?

Neither on a crusade nor talking about the entire company - talking about demand for this project, which you just have to click on the available tickets for shows in the middle of a busy summer and the reality is right there for you to accept or deny.

But a half empty house in the middle of summer isn't a "fact" to you, just some random "feeling". Noted.

And apparently if you were looking for recent financial updates on the broader company you didn't Google very hard:

Although it received financial support with a $50 million injection from its shareholders and a $200 million loan from the Quebec government, on 29 June 2020, the company announced that it had filed for bankruptcy protection and was terminating 3,500 employees who had previously been laid off.
I already admitted this show is likely bleeding money 😂 One of my initial comments was a shock that the theatre wasn’t even half sold out on a summer July night. I’m not living in denial. This show is in trouble but it’s not because it sucks. It’s because the companies aren’t promoting it well.

EPCOT-O.G.

I already admitted this show is likely bleeding money 😂 One of my initial comments was a shock that the theatre wasn’t even half sold out on a summer July night. I’m not living in denial. This show is in trouble but it’s not because it sucks. It’s because the companies aren’t promoting it well.
It’s my understanding they have half price tickets within the hour of showtime if it’s not full. Even at $40 a pop, that’s a little steep for my family of 5.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
It’s my understanding they have half price tickets within the hour of showtime if it’s not full. Even at $40 a pop, that’s a little steep for my family of 5.
Agreed 💯 If I wasnt a seasoned Cirque fan, it would have been hard for me to swallow the price of this show.

Next Big Thing

Disney should replace this show with Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin. They have such a successful (at least pre pandemic) theater division. There is no reason anymore to bring in Cirque.
You are speaking out of your behind. This is not only a brand new show, but a great show. Yes, Disney has a successful theater division and I wish we could have both (although Cirque probably has a contractual stipulation preventing it), but i'm not at all in favor of pulling this show when DHS has a very tired lineup of shows and they could build a theater roughly the size of the one at DCA there and put the DCA version of Aladdin on there.

Problem solved and we made DHS better in the process.

EricsBiscuit

You are speaking out of your behind. This is not only a brand new show, but a great show. Yes, Disney has a successful theater division and I wish we could have both (although Cirque probably has a contractual stipulation preventing it), but i'm not at all in favor of pulling this show when DHS has a very tired lineup of shows and they could build a theater roughly the size of the one at DCA there and put the DCA version of Aladdin on there.

Problem solved and we made DHS better in the process.
I think the fact that the theater is always half empty is a sign that this is indeed not a great show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom