What was planned.....

WHO:
IMG_1741.JPEG

WHEN:
Friday, April 1st - Monday, April 4th

WHERE:
SSR 1 BR Villa
IMG_4415.JPEG

Remember us wishing that our return flight was cancelled on the previous trip b/c of the snowstorm??

IMG_4548.PNG

IMG_4549.PNG

Thanks to the above some slight changes had to be made.....

WHEN:
Friday, April 1st - Wednesday, April 6th

WHERE:
April 1st - April 4th
SSR 1 BR Villa in Congress Park
IMG_4530.JPEG

IMG_4531.JPEG

April 4th - 5th
SSR 2 BR Villa in The Grandstand
IMG_4813.JPEG

IMG_4814.JPEG

April 5th - 6th
SSR 1 BR Villa in The Paddock
IMG_4912.JPEG

IMG_4911.JPEG

And let me start out by saying that as awesome as it was to have a few extra Disney days it definitely comes with a price!! Financially & mentally!!
There is a lot of stress involved when you first realize that you're pretty much stranded & trying to figure out what you're going to do about it!! Not to mention the switching of the rooms over & over!!

But, I don't want to get ahead of myself. All that drama will come in due time!!

Welcome everyone!! Thanks to all who will be joining in on this crazy adventure!!

Songbird76

Yes, it is loud but it has a really neat ambiance to it. We paid no more than what I would pay at Ruth's Chris & again, we thought it was excellent!! J loved it there & our waiter was so amazing!!
I wouldn't consider it a club scene but it definitely wasn't quiet. Our reservation was for somewhere around 5 so maybe we were there before it gets loud but it's not like they have a dance floor or anything in there. Actually, we had a reservation & were seated in the bar area at a table & we all enjoyed it!!
IMO Le Cellier has always had a great steak. The first time I ate at Yachtsman I was impressed but after the 2nd time I'm not in a hurry to go back!! I would go to STK in a heartbeat!!
Thanks so much for your input!! I love to hear everyone's experiences & get their feelings on things!!
Yeah, I think AJ said it was after like 8pm when they have a DJ and it turns into the club scene, so maybe you were there early enough that it wasn't as noisy. I kind of want to check it out, because I DO love steak, but we don't spend much time at DS, and it's harder to justify leaving the parks just for a dinner reservation. We will sometimes go to a resort for an ADR when we're in the park close to it. Like, we did a breakfast at Boma before going to AK once, and we do Ohana or Whispering canyon when we're at MK. I messed up last time. I scheduled 1900 Park Fare for after our water park day and we went back to the resort to shower and get dressed. We left almost 2 hours before our reservation, but for some reason I was thinking that GF was closest to Epcot, because of the Monorail loop....completely forgot the Monorail goes to MK, too. So we waited ages for an Epcot bus, and I mean AGES. I think it was over an hour before an epcot bus got to CBR, and we could have taken an MK bus. We ended up being 10 minutes late to our ADR because it took so long and then we had to get on the monorail to the TTC, then transfer to the resort loop. Then we still had to wait like 30 minutes for a table to open, even WITH our ADR. I don't think we got seated until something like 7:30 or 7:45. It's just such a hassle trying to get from one place to another because the transportation is so unreliable. My husband refuses to use ride share services like uber or lyft, so we had no way to get there but Disney's own transportation. And DS has some weird transportation hours....I don't think you can get there directly from the parks until after 4 pm or something? So you have to go to SSR first and then walk or maybe take a boat? I don't remember exactly, but I know we had issues, so we don't visit DS a lot. It just doesn't seem worth it. My husband HATES shopping, my son is impatient...he doesn't want to spend time walking around and NOT going on rides. But next trip is supposed to be just my daughter and me, so maybe that will be our opportunity to check things out!

joshsprincess921

I've been showing my son the ride pictures of J. He will be 9 next month and almost 10 the next time we go, but he claims he's still too scared to ride Space and hated ToT and never wants to ride again. He refuses to even think about RnR so I'm going to have to show him this one too. I told him if J can do it, so can you because he used to not want to ride either. LOL!

lindawdw

I love how you save your Baseline Taphouse shirts for your DHS morning. I've never visited with Mickey and Minnie there but will definitely be doing it in October after seeing your pictures. It's just so cute seeing how much J is enjoying RNRC! So fun that you got to meet up with Tuvalu and Em at DS! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip! :oops:

LeighM

Finally caught up. Riverside is just my happy place!!! I agree with you though that the gift shop has changed. I'm worried that they will make it smaller like they did to the one at Coronado Springs. I think the next time the husband and I go to WDW, we'll have to do a split stay between POR and CSR, which are my two favorite resorts. PO French Quarter was nice but it just wasn't my beloved Riverside :)

riverside

Original Poster
And this is a perfect example of why you are one of the nicest people I have ever known!
You are too kind!!
In that photo with you and Tuvalu, I love your blue floral shirt with Mickey and Minnie -- really cute!!!
Thank you!! A friend bought it for me. Last year I bought a shirt a Tommy Bahama brand shirt at OKW. I had to take it back the next month b/c it wasn't true to size. I got the next size up & even though it fit better I was still disappointed. My friend is a big Tommy Bahama fan & I told him how unhappy I was with the shirt. He ended up buying me that shirt to try to make a believer out of me!!
Oooh, can’t wait to see how the rest of your trip goes….

Animated GIF
A lot of unplanned fun it was!!;)
My thoughts exactly!!
You're also too kind!!
Was thinking the same. Such a kindness for a couple of kids. It’s like when you used to be able to hand someone paper FP on your way out of the park. Classic Disney Kindness.
Oh!! I forgot about those days!! I did that a few times over the years. Gosh, that seems like forever ago!!
Yeah, I think AJ said it was after like 8pm when they have a DJ and it turns into the club scene, so maybe you were there early enough that it wasn't as noisy. I kind of want to check it out, because I DO love steak, but we don't spend much time at DS, and it's harder to justify leaving the parks just for a dinner reservation. We will sometimes go to a resort for an ADR when we're in the park close to it. Like, we did a breakfast at Boma before going to AK once, and we do Ohana or Whispering canyon when we're at MK. I messed up last time. I scheduled 1900 Park Fare for after our water park day and we went back to the resort to shower and get dressed. We left almost 2 hours before our reservation, but for some reason I was thinking that GF was closest to Epcot, because of the Monorail loop....completely forgot the Monorail goes to MK, too. So we waited ages for an Epcot bus, and I mean AGES. I think it was over an hour before an epcot bus got to CBR, and we could have taken an MK bus. We ended up being 10 minutes late to our ADR because it took so long and then we had to get on the monorail to the TTC, then transfer to the resort loop. Then we still had to wait like 30 minutes for a table to open, even WITH our ADR. I don't think we got seated until something like 7:30 or 7:45. It's just such a hassle trying to get from one place to another because the transportation is so unreliable. My husband refuses to use ride share services like uber or lyft, so we had no way to get there but Disney's own transportation. And DS has some weird transportation hours....I don't think you can get there directly from the parks until after 4 pm or something? So you have to go to SSR first and then walk or maybe take a boat? I don't remember exactly, but I know we had issues, so we don't visit DS a lot. It just doesn't seem worth it. My husband HATES shopping, my son is impatient...he doesn't want to spend time walking around and NOT going on rides. But next trip is supposed to be just my daughter and me, so maybe that will be our opportunity to check things out!
It definitely wasn't a club scene when I was there!! I totally get what you're saying but there are a lot of awesome restaurants at DS--& I'm not a big DS fan!!
I've been showing my son the ride pictures of J. He will be 9 next month and almost 10 the next time we go, but he claims he's still too scared to ride Space and hated ToT and never wants to ride again. He refuses to even think about RnR so I'm going to have to show him this one too. I told him if J can do it, so can you because he used to not want to ride either. LOL!
We're trying to talk J into ToT for this next trip & he's contemplating it. I'll let you know if he decides to do it!!
I like that--peer pressure!! 🤣
I love how you save your Baseline Taphouse shirts for your DHS morning. I've never visited with Mickey and Minnie there but will definitely be doing it in October after seeing your pictures. It's just so cute seeing how much J is enjoying RNRC! So fun that you got to meet up with Tuvalu and Em at DS! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip! :oops:
Thanks!! Even R knows to pack his!!
He really enjoys that ride now--one of his favs!!
I'm glad we got to meet up also--& b/c of the airlines that wasn't the only time!!
Man whispering into women’s ear: “Why is she talking your picture ? “

Women “ I don’t know so I will keep my eyes closed”

Person pointing “ Maybe she is taking a picture of the person taking a selfie”

Loving the report- hope you are still feeling better

Max
You crack me up!!

Thank you!! I am much better. For now my chiropractor visits are for routine maintenance!!
Finally caught up. Riverside is just my happy place!!! I agree with you though that the gift shop has changed. I'm worried that they will make it smaller like they did to the one at Coronado Springs. I think the next time the husband and I go to WDW, we'll have to do a split stay between POR and CSR, which are my two favorite resorts. PO French Quarter was nice but it just wasn't my beloved Riverside :)
Yes-mine too!! It just feels like there is nothing in there anymore.
I've never stayed at FQ(I was booked for early summer 2020 there but we all know what happened) but wouldn't mind giving it a try just once!! I'd like to try Coronado also!!

Minnesota disney fan

You are too kind!!

Thank you!! A friend bought it for me. Last year I bought a shirt a Tommy Bahama brand shirt at OKW. I had to take it back the next month b/c it wasn't true to size. I got the next size up & even though it fit better I was still disappointed. My friend is a big Tommy Bahama fan & I told him how unhappy I was with the shirt. He ended up buying me that shirt to try to make a believer out of me!!

A lot of unplanned fun it was!!;)

You're also too kind!!

Oh!! I forgot about those days!! I did that a few times over the years. Gosh, that seems like forever ago!!

It definitely wasn't a club scene when I was there!! I totally get what you're saying but there are a lot of awesome restaurants at DS--& I'm not a big DS fan!!

We're trying to talk J into ToT for this next trip & he's contemplating it. I'll let you know if he decides to do it!!
I like that--peer pressure!! 🤣

Thanks!! Even R knows to pack his!!
He really enjoys that ride now--one of his favs!!
I'm glad we got to meet up also--& b/c of the airlines that wasn't the only time!!

You crack me up!!

Thank you!! I am much better. For now my chiropractor visits are for routine maintenance!!

I've never stayed at FQ(I was booked for early summer 2020 there but we all know what happened) but wouldn't mind giving it a try just once!! I'd like to try Coronado also!!

Loving your trip report!
I just wanted to chime in on FQ and Coronado.
First, we stayed at Coronado for our first stay after several years hiatus from disney. (work, kids, activities, etc). We stayed in Bldg 3 Casitas and it was such a beautiful setting. If I remember right there was a courtyard in the middle of the buildings with a huge fountain and tropical plants. We were close to the main building and the bus stop. That's been several years ago, so things might have changed. We aren't swimmers, so we never checked out the main pool but it sounds great. I don't know why, but the room felt bigger than other resort rooms. We didn't have any problems with conventions. It was fine, but we wanted to try something else.

Then we found Riverside :), and that was IT!!! We loved everything about it, and it was our go-to resort for several years.
However, my husband has mobility issues, so we tried POFQ since it is smaller. It has worked out well for us, but we miss POR!!!
I am not a fan of Mardi Gras decor, but the food was really good in their small QS. We would love to be back at POR, but we do visit it when we are at FQ. The walk doesnt take much time. We like to eat at The Mill, and wander around their big gift shop - At least we Did like to do that. I am so sad that they had to change it. It was the best gift shop at WDW, IMO.
I bet you would like FQ, but it is not POR (of course).

LeighM

Riverside has the best atmosphere hands down!!! Even the background music at Riverside is superior. But the renovated rooms at Coronado Springs are the best of any of the moderates and, as much as I love Riverside, the main pool at Coronado Springs is better than either of the PO resorts. The only thing I really did hate about French Quarter was the horrible showerhead. It was so bad! But they have those beignets that are truly addicting :)

JamieLee18

I finally headed back to the arcade & J was still playing games. Although, he looks like he's taking J wanted a snack so we stopped by The Riverside Mill. This CM is the sweetest. He has been there for as long as I can remember. He's always calling everyone "prince" or "princess". Even if his line is longer than others I always stand in his. He's just that nice & I love interacting with him!!
View attachment 648212
I just got back from my first stay at Riverside, and was helped by this CM twice, he was sooooo nice! He even comped my ice cream for my birthday 🥰

riverside

Original Poster
Loving your trip report!
I just wanted to chime in on FQ and Coronado.
First, we stayed at Coronado for our first stay after several years hiatus from disney. (work, kids, activities, etc). We stayed in Bldg 3 Casitas and it was such a beautiful setting. If I remember right there was a courtyard in the middle of the buildings with a huge fountain and tropical plants. We were close to the main building and the bus stop. That's been several years ago, so things might have changed. We aren't swimmers, so we never checked out the main pool but it sounds great. I don't know why, but the room felt bigger than other resort rooms. We didn't have any problems with conventions. It was fine, but we wanted to try something else.

Then we found Riverside :), and that was IT!!! We loved everything about it, and it was our go-to resort for several years.
However, my husband has mobility issues, so we tried POFQ since it is smaller. It has worked out well for us, but we miss POR!!!
I am not a fan of Mardi Gras decor, but the food was really good in their small QS. We would love to be back at POR, but we do visit it when we are at FQ. The walk doesnt take much time. We like to eat at The Mill, and wander around their big gift shop - At least we Did like to do that. I am so sad that they had to change it. It was the best gift shop at WDW, IMO.
I bet you would like FQ, but it is not POR (of course).
I would like to at least visit Coronado to see if I would like to stay there! It's just hard b/c with the cost being comparable to Riverside it's hard to stay elsewhere if it's available!!

I agree that the food is good in their QS. I actually like the variety better than POR's. POR definitely had the best gift shop IMO but it unfortunately doesn't hold that title for me anymore.

I'm sure I would like FQ also! We were actually booked to stay there in June of 2020 b/c R really wanted to try it out. We all know that ended up not happening.....
Riverside has the best atmosphere hands down!!! Even the background music at Riverside is superior. But the renovated rooms at Coronado Springs are the best of any of the moderates and, as much as I love Riverside, the main pool at Coronado Springs is better than either of the PO resorts. The only thing I really did hate about French Quarter was the horrible showerhead. It was so bad! But they have those beignets that are truly addicting :)
Yes--I love the background music!! Funny, I tend to prefer the quiet pools at the resorts than any of the main pools!! I feel like all the main pools are way too hectic & loud!!
Nothing worse than a lousy showerhead!! Especially when you have thick hair like I do!!
I just got back from my first stay at Riverside, and was helped by this CM twice, he was sooooo nice! He even comped my ice cream for my birthday 🥰
I hope you enjoyed it there!! He is so sweet!! Happy Belated Birthday!!
Ok, we definitely need to get his name and start sending appreciations! I'm sure he gets a lot of them.
Darn-I was just there a few weeks ago & saw him. I should have paid more attention & got his name!! But, I agree--we should!!

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, APRIL 3RD

After @Tuvalu saved the day by getting us back to SSR in a timely fashion I stopped at the room to drop off some packages E had while she & J headed to meet our friends. They were in town for the weekend & were meeting us for dinner.
IMG_4741.JPEG

The Turf Club(the full service restaurant part) had recently reopened & E had really wanted to try it so we had reservations there.
IMG_4744.JPEG

We started out with a bottle of wine & some appetizers.
The Grilled Artichoke was excellent!!
IMG_4745.JPEG

As was the charcuterie and the fritto misto!!
IMG_4746.JPEG

I had the Carrot-Filled Agnolotti. It was good but I wouldn't get it again. It had a very strong puree carrot baby food type taste. Does that make sense?
IMG_4747.JPEG

We were all enjoying our meals.
IMG_4748.JPEG

Then it happened.....
IMG_4751.PNG

...the rest of the night was a blur for me. I'm a planner. I get anxious when things don't go as planned-especially when it's out of my control. I feel very helpless & that's frustrating to me b/c I am the type who is used to "taking charge" so to speak. So, I immediately went into overdrive to do what I could to straighten out this mess.
IMG_4752.PNG

E & J stayed with our friends while I kept leaving the table to make calls etc.
IMG_4753.JPEG

I opened up my email & saw this. See the part about the rebooking options & receiving another email? Yeah, it's August 4th & I'm still waiting for it, along with a refund!!:arghh:
IMG_4755.PNG

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, APRIL 3RD

After briefly looking at different airlines I saw that there was no way we were going to make it back on Monday. I had called R to have him find out why all these flights were cancelled. It was basically what we've been hearing for the last year or so. A combination of bad weather & staffing issues.

Knowing that we were going to be there until at least Tuesday I knew I had to extend our stay. As much as I like SSR I was very disappointed in the "help" that they gave me at the front desk. They told me our room wasn't available to extend the stay & that was pretty much that. They didn't offer me any other rooms or nothing.
So, while standing in the lobby I went online & was able to book this-while standing right in front of them:mad:
IMG_4756.PNG

Thank goodness for that passholder discount--that sure saved me a bundle:rolleyes:
IMG_4757.PNG

Then I started working on trying to find flights-it didn't matter what airline, direct, nonstop, cost--I didn't care. I kept trying different days etc but couldn't find anything. At this point I knew I needed to call my boss & let him know that I wasn't sure when I was going to make it back to work. I also took these screen shots to show him that there really was nothing available.
IMG_4758.PNG

IMG_4759.PNG

IMG_4760.PNG

IMG_4761.PNG

Finally--Southwest had something available--but not until Wednesday!!
IMG_4762.PNG

Spirit was a no go also.
IMG_4764.PNG

As it turned out the earliest we would have been able to fly back with them would have been Thursday!!
IMG_4763.PNG

riverside

Original Poster
Also--I know I've been MIA for awhile. I'm really trying to wrap up this TR but as usual so many things keep getting in the way. I also wanted to say that I'm not ignoring anyone else's TR's. I really want to read them but just haven't had the time. I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't read TR's until I finished this one!! I look forward to catching up with all your trips!! And once I do catch up I'll have a new one to start myself!!😘

lindawdw

We ate at Turf Club back around 2016 and thought it was just OK, but the new menu looks pretty good! Your flight fiasco sounds like my worst nightmare, and it was pretty disappointing that the CM at SS wasn't more helpful knowing your situation. :oops: I have to say that even with an AP discount on the 2-bedroom villa, I would have found it a hard pill to swallow paying that price! 🥴 I can't wait to hear about your most recent summer trip after you finish this one! Glad to see you back on the boards. 🥰

LeighM

My husband and his brothers recently came back from visiting their relatives in PR and their flight down was delayed on Spirit but the return flight back on American was cancelled. They used weather as the excuse but they cancelled 12 hours ahead of their flight when there were no severe storms expected between PR and Charlotte, where their connecting flight was located. Luckily, they were able to get out the next day - when there were storms in the NE :rolleyes: And someone I know just had a horrible experience on American. JetBlue and Breeze are looking good compared to the other airlines.

MickeyCB

Sorry to hijack your TR thread @riverside, but I just posted in the chick chat thread that Seth was cancelled last night (Friday) on Delta trying to leave NY. Next offered flight was Sunday!:mad:
He's looking out the window at LaGuardia and it's sunny, I'm looking out the window 20 minutes from the Pittsburgh airport and it's sunny.
It's bonkers and think of all of the extra money being spent by customers with this crazy! And some people don't even have the money to absorb these costs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom