News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

el_super

Besides being Iger's former crony, what exactly are his qualifications?

At this point, he's been in the role for two years. He has experience with all aspects of Disney operations (studios, parks, consumer products, Disney+). Bringing in an outsider at this point with the hope that they would change up everything would just be disruptive for no real gain.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can't believe people actually doubted this...
Only because it’s contrary to every detail of his job performance so far? Those fools 🤪
This was expected. He's still the most qualified for the job.
You need to observe the details more if you seriously believe that, Padawan.
Besides being Iger's former crony, what exactly are his qualifications?
None. Iger quit like a coward and had no successor when things looked tough.

Ironic considering I’m sure Roy warned him not to do that and he said “oh don’t worry”. Roy died though. Same dejavu.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Unfortunately, our love for Disney parks is a drug like heroin (though I’ve NEVER taken it)…hard to get off it…

It's easy if you just use logic instead of emotion. The only reason for my next trip is to meet up with some people. After that, I don't know when I will be back. There are few reasons to visit these days, at least for those with higher standards than WDI and TDO care to have. My vote of confidence is with my wallet, and $lappie & Mr. Skinny Jeans ain't seeing its contents anytime soon (after the lone planned trip).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Where have you gone, Roy and Stanley Gold? The Disney theme park fans turn our weary eyes to you... woo woo woo...
Obviously Roy was the heavy weight…

But do you need him? Wall Street is delusional

The fed has no gas to throw on their quarterly fire this time. Politics don’t line up either. The engine is slowing down. This is the latest delusional episode

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Obviously Roy was the heavy weight…

But do you need him? Wall Street is delusional

The fed has no gas to throw on their quarterly fire this time. Politics don’t line up either. The engine is slowing down. This is the latest delusional episode

No one short of a Roy-type is going to do anything meaningful anymore. Although I'm surprised more haven't spoken out, given the lack of dividends.

EPCOT-O.G.

So the people at Disney looked at the absolute downward spiral of craziness, controversy, and cost-cutting that has occurred since Chapek took charge and said, "Yeah. We should let this guy continue to be our CEO."

Our only hope is probably another Save Disney-esque campaign.
They care more about profits and revenue growth than any of the stuff we get caught up on, and, to be honest, the axe he's taking to labor (and other cost-cutting) is viewed favorably by the BOD.

GimpYancIent

The Kingdom has become a dark place ..........
1656452001052.png

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They care more about profits and revenue growth than any of the stuff we get caught up on, and, to be honest, the axe he's taking to labor (and other cost-cutting) is viewed favorably by the BOD.
Of course…but those in control play a dangerous game they can’t control. If it gets labeled a “sell” or a “no buy”…which NEVER happens…then Things change.

everyone knows who the biggest shareholder is, right?

MrPromey

At least it's outpacing The Good Dinosaur. Not sure it is if you factor in inflation though 🤣.
Unlike Marvel, Pixar can't seem to live on sequels and spinoffs. I'm fatiqued by the Marvels ones. But, box office indicates that I'm in the minority on that. Curious when that fanbase catches on to the manipulation. Happened to Transformers. I think the Jurassic series has hit it peak as well. Saw it this past weekend -- ANYTHING but Top Gun.
I think it's pretty clear that the way Marvel has managed to get away with what i thas is by transforming movies into extended long-form entertainment.

Nobody goes into a Marvel movie any more expecting it to be a completely self-contained story. We know they aren't finishing off these movies and then months or years later, trying to figure out how to make sequels. Heck, the new ones starting out with new characters and stories usually end with a reassurance we will be seeing more of these characters in the future - right there in writing.

They've essentially cracked a formula that interconnects everything without it really working like a traditional sequel.

For better or worse, that's what's given them staying power. It's what nobody else (including Lucas Films, DC and Sony) seems to fully grasp.

It's almost like a new form of entertainment that's some hybrid of traditional movies and serial television.

Last edited:

MrPromey

I'm sorry. I know it's not right to judge people on their appearance but that woman's smile makes me uneasy.

It still shocks me that that is the best intentional promotional photo they could apparently take of her.

It's like a weird cross between the original Cruella and Ursula to me.

Again, I know it's wrong but I just can't shake it.

MrPromey

Closing retail stores was probably a smart thing. But my local Disney store closed decades ago.
The last time I went to a Disney store it was about half a decade ago to buy character Christmas ornaments. After spending over $100 on individual ornaments I was given the option to walk out into the mall holding them loose in my hands, to buy a generic "reusable" Disney Store tote bag (that nobody is going to bring with them to the mall next time) way too big for what I'd purchased or pay $6 for a nicer looking Disney Store bag (also too big) that I might have eventually used as a gift bag, maybe.

Again, that was the last time I went to a Disney store.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I'm sorry. I know it's not right to judge people on their appearance but that woman's smile makes me uneasy.

It still shocks me that that is the best intentional promotional photo they could apparently take of her.

It's like a weird cross between the original Cruella and Ursula to me.

Again, I know it's wrong but I just can't shake it.
Pre judge much?

bryanfze55

Cost cutting is one of Chapek’s mandates from the Board and the shareholders. They don’t want a creative at the helm. I’ll admit I haven’t looked at the most recent financial statements, but my assumption (based on the state of the parks) is that he’s doing the bidding that he was hired to do.

Unfortunately, fans on a theme park forum or fans at D23 want very different things than the institutional investors do. Not sure how cost cutting could be viewed as a reason to oust him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom