Poncho or not to Poncho

KrzyKtty

How many other people when they visit WDW choose to not use panchos and just get wet? My family prefers to go to the parks without bags when we can. Traditionally we have used ponchos in the the past but we really hate them. They are really annoying to pack backup into the bag, or if you just throw them away it seems like a huge waste on the environment.

Where I live, the climate is a lot like Orlando. We do get afternoon thunderstorms most days as well. But I will admit that Orlando probably kicks it up another notch. My husband thinks I should just not buy them and we can just dry off splash mountain style. I'm curious how many other people actually do this?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
We use ponchos.
Much rather have 90% of my body stay dry and carry on through the parks and not be wet and cold in the AC.
Wet clothes equals rubbing which can lead to chafing or a pimple in a very inconvenient place.
I'd say wet clothes also equals cranky people.
Last August my sister and I were standing in the rain with our ponchos on and a couple and their kid run by trying to avoid the rain and the guy slipped and fell in a puddle probably because he was wearing flip flops and trying to run...
He then yelled at his wife that she should have warned him.... Even she was like of what? The fact that he needs to be careful....?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lilofan

Ponchos all the way. I've seen a few fellow guests ask the cleaning crew for clear garbage bags and some guests wear a garbage bag walking through the park.

Upvote 0

Clamman73

I bring my Marmot rain jacket that’s lightweight and I’ll just wear it with the hood up but without putting my arms in the sleeves..then I can easily take it off and shake off the water before going in somewhere.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

We pack ponchos to bring but some trips never have to use them. The times we need them I’m glad we had them available. Id rather stay dry in the park and have an enjoyable day than walk around wet waiting to dry out. On the times we forgot and they were left behind in the room we watch the rain coming in and head for a shop or other covering and just wait the storm out. If you can see the storm approaching you can still avoid getting wet. You may have a bit of a wait but walking around the shops can fill up time.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

We pack ponchos to bring but some trips never have to use them. The times we need them I’m glad we had them available. Id rather stay dry in the park and have an enjoyable day than walk around wet waiting to dry out. On the times we forgot and they were left behind in the room we watch the rain coming in and head for a shop or other covering and just wait the storm out. If you can see the storm approaching you can still avoid getting wet. You may have a bit of a wait but walking around the shops can fill up time.
When it downpours a number of people use the gift shops , bathrooms as a rain shelter. At times attraction rides are delayed from operating because guests who just rode the motion ride crowd the interior exit not wanting to go outside due to lightning / rain storm . This creates a scenario that the attraction ride cannot take on more guests to operate at that time.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We must be the outliers, lol. We get wet. We puddled jump. We splash. We don’t let the rain stop us. When I ask my daughters favorite thing about Disney, this is it. Running around in the rain.

Most of the time in Orlando the rain is a really welcome cooling off. The thing you have to be intentional about is shoes. They have to be comfortable if wet.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
When it downpours a number of people use the gift shops , bathrooms as a rain shelter. At times attraction rides are delayed from operating because guests who just rode the motion ride crowd the interior exit not wanting to go outside due to lightning / rain storm . This creates a scenario that the attraction ride cannot take on more guests to operate at that time.
This.
It drives me nuts when people stand in the shops or gather at the doorway/overhang when its raining.
I get it if it's because you are trying to put ponchos on but when you are just waiting out the storm it causes problems.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

We must be the outliers, lol. We get wet. We puddled jump. We splash. We don’t let the rain stop us. When I ask my daughters favorite thing about Disney, this is it. Running around in the rain.

Most of the time in Orlando the rain is a really welcome cooling off. The thing you have to be intentional about is shoes. They have to be comfortable if wet.
There are videos of MK and DHS streets not only wet but looks like raging wet rivers of water. The theme parks drainage systems obviously cannot handle strong rain downpours.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

See we don't let the rain stop us at all but we stay dry while doing so. Haha

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

So what’s your recommendation? Stay standing out in the rain? On every trip we’ve taken guests head to the covering available and Disneys never kicked guests out of the shops or attractions our last torrential downpour we were stuck in MMRRR for about 30 min and CMs just asked that no one sit on the floor.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
So what’s your recommendation? Stay standing out in the rain? On every trip we’ve taken guests head to the covering available and Disneys never kicked guests out of the shops or attractions our last torrential downpour we were stuck in MMRRR for about 30 min and CMs just asked that no one sit on the floor.
I have seen a number of times when an attraction exit gets backed up with people not wanting to get wet cast members enforcing the fact that people need to move.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Not recommend anything. Just stating facts. When the afternoon downpours come back a little patience because many operations are affected. Gift shops, bathrooms, attraction rides wait times, entertainment shows etc.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

I have seen a number of times when an attraction exit gets backed up with people not wanting to get wet cast members enforcing the fact that people need to move.
I agree. Guests need to move out and not crowd the attraction exit so the guests who have been standing in queue lines for X amount of time can ride the attraction. If it is lighting then I understand that’s a safety concern. Raining is not.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom