Poncho or not to Poncho

KrzyKtty

How many other people when they visit WDW choose to not use panchos and just get wet? My family prefers to go to the parks without bags when we can. Traditionally we have used ponchos in the the past but we really hate them. They are really annoying to pack backup into the bag, or if you just throw them away it seems like a huge waste on the environment.

Where I live, the climate is a lot like Orlando. We do get afternoon thunderstorms most days as well. But I will admit that Orlando probably kicks it up another notch. My husband thinks I should just not buy them and we can just dry off splash mountain style. I'm curious how many other people actually do this?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Just about everything is quick dry. I'm not completely off my rocker hippie. It's not like I don't have plastics in my life. My husband and I just really prefer to avoid single us we plastic where we can.

In my husband's case I think hes just using the single use plastic as an excuse. He just has a deep hatred for ponchos.
We’re the same in our house. I’d skip the ponchos. You won’t melt, you’ll dry fast, just don’t get eaten by snakes apparently 😂😂

Upvote 0

ppete1975

I love the rain at disney.. my fav memories as a kid at epcot were the rain (no idea why), but i love rain regardless.

Anyhoo everybody knows why the ponchos are clear right?

its so that if a kid gets separated he can describe his parents by clothes... its funny but thats how kids think.. and half the time kids are following what color you are wearing when they are distracted. a solid colored poncho and you have lost kids.

Upvote 0

BillyGr

Another thought is to bring/wear clothing similar to what you might wear when hiking or running - things that are designed not to absorb water and to dry quickly (non-cotton).

Those would allow you to be less concerned about getting wet, as you will be able to dry out easier than most would.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

We’re the same in our house. I’d skip the ponchos. You won’t melt, you’ll dry fast, just don’t get eaten by snakes apparently 😂😂
I’ve been soaked to the bone in rainstorms and took me a while to dry off. One time while on vacation in Miami South Beach I was soaked then went to an indoor bar to drink and dry off with the AC full blast. I ran a high fever for the next several days.

Upvote 0

sinead

Depends on time of year...But usually nothing dries in WDW area humidity! I lived there...
Keep in mind feet can be really uncomfortably soaked & blisters can appear.
Splash Mountain "wet" is NOT WDW heavy downpour/windy storms "wet."
Running into AC stores will NOT always be possible & won't be comfortable.

Just go to discount store & buy a bunch of thin disposable ponchos pre-wrapped small & flat. Pocket-sized.
No more than a dollar or two.
Yes...the environment....
But Mother Nature will understand you salvaging your vacay days & family's health & comfort.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

In the cooler months, we may just chance it. But in the summer, many times after a downpour, it stays cloudy and it certainly stays muggy. So we would be wet all day.

We also pack flip-flops because wet shoes are a day-ruiner.

It's a lot to pack but necessary if you visit during the wet season.

Perhaps your husband would prefer Disneyland in the summer. No need for a poncho there!

Upvote 0

Valderone

How many other people when they visit WDW choose to not use panchos and just get wet? My family prefers to go to the parks without bags when we can. Traditionally we have used ponchos in the the past but we really hate them. They are really annoying to pack backup into the bag, or if you just throw them away it seems like a huge waste on the environment.

Where I live, the climate is a lot like Orlando. We do get afternoon thunderstorms most days as well. But I will admit that Orlando probably kicks it up another notch. My husband thinks I should just not buy them and we can just dry off splash mountain style. I'm curious how many other people actually do this?
My wife wears a portable oxygen generator which can not get wet. Experience has taught us that ponchos are NOT the way to go. Putting on a poncho in the rain when it is 80 to 90 degrees is liking walking around in a portable sauna. We carry collapsible umbrellas in our backpack as well as a change of socks. I have to carry a backpack anyway for her spare batteries.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
In the cooler months, we may just chance it. But in the summer, many times after a downpour, it stays cloudy and it certainly stays muggy. So we would be wet all day.

We also pack flip-flops because wet shoes are a day-ruiner.

It's a lot to pack but necessary if you visit during the wet season.

Perhaps your husband would prefer Disneyland in the summer. No need for a poncho there!
That's funny because we're the polar opposite. If it's hot we don't mind the rain but when it's cold we would definitely try to stay dry.

Upvote 0

Ricky Spanish

No poncho.
I can’t imagine wearing a plastic garment, in the rain, with Florida humidity, in June.
A small umbrella has always worked for me.

And what I really hate is when the poncho people get on a crowded bus wearing their wet poncho.
Nothing like having a wet poncho bump into you.🤬🤬🤬

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
No poncho.
I can’t imagine wearing a plastic garment, in the rain, with Florida humidity, in June.
A small umbrella has always worked for me.

And what I really hate is when the poncho people get on a crowded bus wearing their wet poncho.
Nothing like having a wet poncho bump into you.🤬🤬🤬
Nothing like "the umbrella people" hitting people with the umbrella and shaking the umbrella when entering a building ir bus.

Upvote 0

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
Another thought is to bring/wear clothing similar to what you might wear when hiking or running - things that are designed not to absorb water and to dry quickly (non-cotton).

Those would allow you to be less concerned about getting wet, as you will be able to dry out easier than most would.
Besides my husband, who won't wear the poncho anyway, that is pretty much what the rest of us are wearing.

Upvote 0

Muffinpants

Nothing like "the umbrella people" hitting people with the umbrella and shaking the umbrella when entering a building ir bus.
When its raining the crowds die down a bit so hitting others with the umbrella should not be an issue. Entering a building I can see but you would hope folks would be smart and do it on the side of the building not the entrance. I think we learned that poncho or umbrella if someone is inconsiderate its a bad time for all.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

The sprinkles from the umbrella landing on other guests would not be an issue when it’s 95 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. I’d be using an umbrella to shield myself from the intense rays of the sun.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom