Poncho or not to Poncho

KrzyKtty

How many other people when they visit WDW choose to not use panchos and just get wet? My family prefers to go to the parks without bags when we can. Traditionally we have used ponchos in the the past but we really hate them. They are really annoying to pack backup into the bag, or if you just throw them away it seems like a huge waste on the environment.

Where I live, the climate is a lot like Orlando. We do get afternoon thunderstorms most days as well. But I will admit that Orlando probably kicks it up another notch. My husband thinks I should just not buy them and we can just dry off splash mountain style. I'm curious how many other people actually do this?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
There are videos of MK and DHS streets not only wet but looks like raging wet rivers of water. The theme parks drainage systems obviously cannot handle strong rain downpours.
We’ve been a few times during Hurricane season. We’ve played in the stopped up drainage floods. Mostly I think it’s the leaves. The kids really enjoyed clearing the leaves from the drains 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
This.
It drives me nuts when people stand in the shops or gather at the doorway/overhang when its raining.
I get it if it's because you are trying to put ponchos on but when you are just waiting out the storm it causes problems.
ESPECIALLY the bathrooms. I totally get if you want to stay dry. Totally cool. But if I have a preschooler who can’t hold it much longer please let us through!!

Upvote 0

Lilofan

We’ve been a few times during Hurricane season. We’ve played in the stopped up drainage floods. Mostly I think it’s the leaves. The kids really enjoyed clearing the leaves from the drains 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
I’d be more concerned about the 🐍🐍 that could be in bodies of water. It’s FL. That flooded water mixed with what is in the streets is nasty.

Upvote 0

Raxel7851

Count us in as Ponchoeros. Although we usually don’t go in the summer months, there are days when it rains steady and not just a shower. Some of the newer ponchos are very compact and easy to carry around.

Upvote 0

tpoly88

We use ponchos.
Much rather have 90% of my body stay dry and carry on through the parks and not be wet and cold in the AC.
Wet clothes equals rubbing which can lead to chafing or a pimple in a very inconvenient place.
I'd say wet clothes also equals cranky people.
Last August my sister and I were standing in the rain with our ponchos on and a couple and their kid run by trying to avoid the rain and the guy slipped and fell in a puddle probably because he was wearing flip flops and trying to run...
He then yelled at his wife that she should have warned him.... Even she was like of what? The fact that he needs to be careful....?
Agree, you can ponchos from other places because if you buy them there that day when it rains its double the price. living here in florida i know the weather and at certain times of the year, i now bring a back pack with an umbrella, 2 ponchos and extra socks. we always have hats on in this sun. Nothing worse than being soaked all day as in this humidity you don't dry out. Ponchos!

Upvote 0

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
Are there any that fold up really really small? I'm only planning on bringing one lounge fly backpack, if any bags at all. And all of us are pretty much wearing Athleisure clothing, so no belt loops. Most of the ponchos I'm seeing on Amazon come in 9" bags. That's not feasible. And my hippie self really isn't going to be OK with throwing away that bunch plastic every day.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Are there any that fold up really really small? I'm only planning on bringing one lounge fly backpack, if any bags at all. And all of us are pretty much wearing Athleisure clothing, so no belt loops. Most of the ponchos I'm seeing on Amazon come in 9" bags. That's not feasible. And my hippie self really isn't going to be OK with throwing away that bunch plastic every day.

I guess you need to decide what is more important to you... zero bags and leaving the essentials behind or bringing a couple bags and having what you need.
Go buy some waist packs and have each person carry their own things. They are hands free and won't get left behind.
It's about the only other option I can think of with the restrictions you want to put in place. It's difficult to understand how you are so anti bag but then again also anti one time use items.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
Maybe I'll just bring a really compact umbrella. At least that way we have something. They seem to be more compact than the reusable ponchos and at least this way I don't need to worry about landfill waste.

Upvote 0

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
But if anybody knows of any ponchos that are reusable and fold up into a very small carrying case send a link please because I'm having trouble finding them 😁

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Maybe I'll just bring a really compact umbrella. At least that way we have something. They seem to be more compact than the reusable ponchos and at least this way I don't need to worry about landfill waste.
We use umbrellas. We find plastic ponchos hot and uncomfortable, and don’t want to be taking them off each time we ride an attraction (then putting them on again.)

Umbrellas are quick to open and close, easy to tote. We typically stay under cover during those brief, sideways rains. But if we can’t we trudge on and still remain mostly dry.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

We use umbrellas. We find plastic ponchos hot and uncomfortable, and don’t want to be taking them off each time we ride an attraction (then putting them on again.)

Umbrellas are quick to open and close, easy to tote. We typically stay under cover during those brief, sideways rains. But if we can’t we trudge on and still remain mostly dry.
With frequent rains and lightning strikes in FL, I would be wearing a poncho instead of using a metal tip tall umbrella. That's just my take. Better safe than sorry. FL is the lightning capital of the USA.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I’d be more concerned about the 🐍🐍 that could be in bodies of water. It’s FL. That flooded water mixed with what is in the streets is nasty.
Okay.

Snakes don’t live in puddles but you do you. I’m not trying to convince you to go puddle jumping. If it’s not for you it’s not for you. It’s one of our favorite things. There’s no need to crap on it.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
How much of your athlesiure clothing is quick dry? You don’t generally have to worry about the walking around in wet clothing or the charging issues in quick dry clothes, but it DOES have plastic in the fabric.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Okay.

Snakes don’t live in puddles but you do you. I’m not trying to convince you to go puddle jumping. If it’s not for you it’s not for you. It’s one of our favorite things. There’s no need to crap on it.
How much of your athlesiure clothing is quick dry? You don’t generally have to worry about the walking around in wet clothing or the charging issues in quick dry clothes, but it DOES have plastic in the fabric.
I've seen snakes in flooded streets so have first hand experience. Just wouldn't be playing in a flooded street, not exactly puddle jumping. Just my take.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KrzyKtty

Original Poster
Just about everything is quick dry. I'm not completely off my rocker hippie. It's not like I don't have plastics in my life. My husband and I just really prefer to avoid single us we plastic where we can.

In my husband's case I think hes just using the single use plastic as an excuse. He just has a deep hatred for ponchos.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom