Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

brettf22

Premium Member
You absolutely can stack more than 2 - I know of people who have stacked 4-5 at MK for the afternoon/evening.

You could theoretically stack at 7, 11, 1, 3, and 5 and have five evening rides at MK.
Yup. Did this several times two weeks ago. But as others have pointed out, this really only works well for MK. For example, one day I did AK in the morning. After using a couple of strategic LL passes early at AK, I started grabbing LL passes for MK. After a mid day break (and continuing to stack MK LL passes), I headed to MK around 5pm. Ended up stacking 4 (Space, Splash, Pirates, and HM), all between 5-7pm.

An unintended bonus of this method meant I avoided the TTC security mess in the am. Rope drop effectiveness has greatly diminished for offsite guests, especially at MK due to the TTC hassle. In my 49 years of visiting WDW, I believe this first time I did not rope drop MK once.

Patcheslee

Out of curiosity what does Genie+ show once you've used booked or used LL for an attraction? As in does is still show you time availability later or does it say ineligible?
Also did anyone notice the irony of Disney saying 2-3 attractions, it's not free. But in Aladdin he grants 3 wishes and the 3rd is Genie being free...

Last edited:

curry767

1) last year we went for 2 weeks...end of nivember/start of December - it was very VERY busy. The busiest I've seen DW in any of my other 10 visits throughout the year.

Do you think it is possible that lack of CM’s and the parks operating at reduced capacity across a range of things made it feel far worse than it would have normally been?

Thepuma

Do you think it is possible that lack of CM’s and the parks operating at reduced capacity across a range of things made it feel far worse than it would have normally been?

Possibly, who knows....but I very much doubt it will be any quieter this year- potentially MORE busier as, although us Europeans were able to travel to the US last December, a lot were put off with the requirements for travel with needing 3 covid tests booked (1 pre travel, 1 before returning and 1 upon return) ...but now they only need 1 pre travel...

So I personally think this November/December will be even busier than last year.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
my idea on how to fix Fastpass/Genie+ (even though it'll probably never happen or work)

Make park reservation (unfortunately, this isn't going away)
Set the time you plan/expect to be in the theme park that day
It already knows of any dining reservations and times
Select 3 attractions (30 days in advance)
Have it decide on hour timeslots on when to do those attractions (LLs) spreading people out
Give us the ability to adjust those 3 timeframes (not individually or for specific times, just earlier or later as a group)
Only after you use your first LL, you can book another (whatever is remaining)
Leave some availability open for AP holders/individuals who visit the day of without prior planning (limited and only opens the day of based on the information on how many APs)

benefits:
- know in advance what you will be able to do (LLs) and how to plan others (ILLs, park routes, rope drop attraction, etc.)
- no rush at 7am THE DAY OF to book something
- no watching your clock for 2 hour increments to book another (when you don't use one before that occurs)
- Disney has all the information it needs to help spread people out more in LLs, if they would use it this way

I know... there are still issues with it... but there isn't really one fix for this mess they created.. just better things they can do

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
my idea on how to fix Fastpass/Genie+ (even though it'll probably never happen or work)

Have it decide on hour timeslots on when to do those attractions (LLs) spreading people out
Give us the ability to adjust those 3 timeframes (not individually or for specific times, just earlier or later as a group)
Leave some availability open for AP holders/individuals who visit the day of without prior planning (limited and only opens the day of based on the information on how many APs)

benefits:
- know in advance what you will be able to do (LLs) and how to plan others (ILLs, park routes, rope drop attraction, etc.)
- no watching your clock for 2 hour increments to book another (when you don't use one before that occurs)
- Disney has all the information it needs to help spread people out more in LLs, if they would use it this way

I know... there are still issues with it... but there isn't really one fix for this mess they created.. just better things they can do
Love the ideas but just simplify it & go back to FP+ nothing short of adding attractions is going to reduce standby (we know this is not happening at least anytime soon) So go back to something that honestly seemed to work for the majority of resort guests & again maybe add a small fee to be able to book additional attractions from the 3 paid ones you get to pre book. I know ive said this countless times but seems like the best and easiest solution

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Love the ideas but just simplify it & go back to FP+ nothing short of adding attractions is going to reduce standby (we know this is not happening at least anytime soon) So go back to something that honestly seemed to work for the majority of resort guests & again maybe add a small fee to be able to book additional attractions from the 3 paid ones you get to pre book. I know ive said this countless times but seems like the best and easiest solution
I would be good with that too. Most would I think

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I would be good with that too. Most would I think
people need to get over the past "free" fast passes we had & honestly probably the only theme/amusement park in the country that offered that service for free... so to me if there was anything this company could have easily gotten away with in regards to up charges this was it & would be worth every penny the system offered for resort guests

G00fyDad

people need to get over the past "free" fast passes we had & honestly probably the only theme/amusement park in the country that offered that service for free... so to me if there was anything this company could have easily gotten away with in regards to up charges this was it & would be worth every penny the system offered for resort guests
Fine. They can bring back all the features of FP+ and charge for it. Done.

JTH781

benefits:

I love your Ideas and think this would fix many issues.

mattpeto

I honestly don't see them doing anything substantial like some of the previous posters have mentioned. The park reservation system was built on the FP+ engine.

Genie+ is a unique application on it's own, built from the ground up. Any near-term changes would have to be something that the application can support. The first attempt was to add inventory (M&Gs, parade viewing, etc.) They saw that didn't help too much. The second attempt at fixing the problems appears they will attempt to limit distribution. We will have to see how that plays out.

Down the line, I don't dismiss that resort guests will be able to chose something in advance, but I don't think the "3 per day" thing is ever coming back. They aren't rebuilding everything from scratch to create a pre-booking system where you can nab multiple attractions per day.

The logic I rolled out previously here isn't super complex and it would let you sleep in on your vacation. It could be put into play overnight.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I honestly don't see them doing anything substantial like some of the previous posters have mentioned. The park reservation system was built on the FP+ engine.

Genie+ is a unique application on it's own, built from the ground up. Any near-term changes would have to be something that the application can support. The first attempt was to add inventory (M&Gs, parade viewing, etc.) They saw that didn't help too much. The second attempt at fixing the problems appears they will attempt to limit distribution. We will have to see how that plays out.

Down the line, I don't dismiss that resort guests will be able to chose something in advance, but I don't think the "3 per day" thing is ever coming back. They aren't rebuilding everything from scratch to create a pre-booking system where you can nab multiple attractions per day.

The logic I rolled out previously here isn't super complex and it would let you sleep in on your vacation. It could be put into play overnight.
The number 1 thing I wish they’d do is let us do this prior to the day of. No 7am scramble. The problem then becomes when can you book another and is it everyone doing at the same time while in the parks (this isn’t ideal either). I don’t know what the perfect solution is or even if there is one, but there are definite ways to make this better.

Sure we don’t like paying for something that felt free before, but that is not the biggest complaint, it is how this thing works (or doesn’t) and how poor Disney plans and designs these things even with all the data they collect and know. The other big issue is why is it so complicated to plan a Disney vacation. It doesn’t have to be this way

mattpeto

The number 1 thing I wish they’d do is let us do this prior to the day of. No 7am scramble. The problem then becomes when can you book another and is it everyone doing at the same time while in the parks (this isn’t ideal either). I don’t know what the perfect solution is or even if there is one, but there are definite ways to make this better.

Sure we don’t like paying for something that felt free before, but that is not the biggest complaint, it is how this thing works (or doesn’t) and how poor Disney plans and designs these things even with all the data they collect and know. The other big issue is why is it so complicated to plan a Disney vacation. It doesn’t have to be this way
The 7 day rolling window fixes the problem. You might have to get up at 7 am several days in a row before your vacation. I'd still take THAT.

MickeyLuv'r

Maybe I should provide more details, we are going the last couple days of November and the first week of December when it generally has lower crowds since it is in between the Thanksgiving and Christmas crowds (of course I know that there are pretty much no slow seasons anymore). Also, we always rope drop every morning and always take the first bus from the resort so we will get the headliners we want from rope drop anyways. I was just wondering if the headache of Genie+ would even be worth it to someone like us who rope drop the big rides and then doesn't care to wait in line for some of the middle rides later on the day. Plus we have been to Disney during Holiday Season before and saying only getting on 5 rides all day is a pretty big exaggeration unless you only arrive at the parks at 11:00 am or something.
WDW rack rate hotel pricing gives us a rough idea of how crowded Disney expects each time frame to be. This is Yacht Club (St view, Mon pricing):
Sept 7-14 = value $522
Sept 16 - Oct 6 = fall = $664
Oct 10 - Oct 27, Nov 6-21 = fall2 = $633
Nov 22-Nov 25= Thanksgiving = $752
Nov 26 - Dec1 = Fall 2 = $633
Dec 2-Dec 8 = winter= $676
Dec 9 - Dec 15 = Winter 2 = $746

So the week you are talking isn't considered peak season, but it isn't considered value season either. It is however the lowest price between Thanksgiving and Xmas, when holiday decor is up.

This past Jan- the lowest price season all year - was very busy. With prices what they are, I think more people tried to go during the lowest price season.
So there's no guarantee at all that lower prices = less crowded. Then again, there are many uncertainties that might impact late Nov travel, so this is not at all to say what will be, but rather what might be.

MickeyLuv'r

Thanks for the insight, I understand now what you were saying. That is my fault for the misunderstanding. However, we are staying onsite and so we will be able to hop on ROTR in your example instead of waiting the 90 minutes. I understand the rest of the day will probably be like you are saying so it might be worth it to get G+. Contrary to what you might think and I'm sorry if it came across this way, I am not against getting G+ at all. I would be willing to get it if I thought it was worth it, which it sounds like now we can go on our trip without it (kind of have to) and then see the crowd levels and then buy it the days we think we will need it that morning. So we will probably honestly just have a wait and see approach. If say our first day goes like your example then we will be buying Genie plus the next morning lol
Define "hop onto RotR?" When I most recently visited WDW - to give you a sample- Jungle Cruise was up to a 3-4 hours wait within 5 minutes of MK opening JC does not open early; actually, everyoen was held at the entrance of Adventureland. BTMRR was up to a 40 min wait inside of 10 min of MK opening.

It you are in the front of the crowd, you might get lucky and only wait a short time for Rise. If you are held up at all....just 3-4 minutes could easily = an hour for Rise or longer. When I tried to enter HS, my magic band did not work, and I was held up. Under EMH a few minutes didn't matter all that much, now it will.

I can't quite say if G+ is worthwhile for you, but I sorta lean towards saying - if you are thinking to spend $15, Rise - instead of G+ would be a decent option. When you buy an ILL for Rise at 7am -you at least have pretty good odds of actually getting a pass. If you opt to buy G+ and hope to get Slinky- it is a total crap shoot.

If you are lucky, then you get a good G+. If not, your HS day pretty quickly goes downhill.

7am: If you don't get Slinky, your next best option is MF/ToT. If MF/ToT is okay in your book, you can probably at least get that for your first G+.
10:30am: Come 10:30am, Slinky and MF are likely to be sold out. So, you are looking at RNRC, ToT, TSM, or Aliens. MMRR is supposed to revert back to ILL after 8/1, but that might also stay in the G+. You MIGHT get MF.
12:30pm: probably not much left to choose. You might get lucky if it is a slower day.

If you can hop to MK, then you should still be able to get decent options at 12:30 (for after 2pm return).

If do not have G+, watch G+ in June for a very rough idea of the kind of waits you might see. (From 6/2 until 6/30 is roughly the same pricing season as your dates). Just don't assume what you see for G+ in June is what you can actually book though when it comes to G+ passes/return times.

Right now, at 4pm on 5/25: Aliens = 40 min, Meet Olaf = 50min, MMRR = 55min, F= 55min, RNRC= 60, SDD=80min, Rise = 90min TSM= 30min, ToT = 110min.

So is G+ worth $15 - to you - if you get 2 passes that each save about an hour of waiting, plus 1 pass (maybe 2) that save 10-20min in HS?

When we went, the standby waits were all pretty miserable. So as bad as G+ was, no G+ = even more waiting.

But again I say, in Epcot if you aren't doing attractions- you can at least walk the WS/see gardens. In AK, you can always do the animal walk-throughs. In HS, other than attractions, there isn't much to do except maybe the shows.

I will also say, during the extended evening hours just about everything was walk-on. If you can go during those, do. We did more in those 2 hours, hassle-free, than we ever were able to cover during the AM hours - even after jumping through all of WDW's hoops.

mattpeto

I usually vacate there more than 7 days and wouldn’t want to do that on select days while I’m there.
Okay make it 14 days or 21 days. We're overthinking this a bit. Something to move the needle the right direction that works the most people is the move.

Pre-plan the first ILLs and Genie+ select before your stay is the objective so you don't have to wake up on our vacation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom